• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Inner fenders rubbing wheels

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was taking @gmtech16450yz advice and looking to upgrade the wheels and tires on my 04 ar230 trailer. The tires are in terrible shape. I test fit some 205/75/15s because that's what i run on the car hauler. That's when i noticed there is no clearance with the stock size! The port side has less than a finger width, maybe even touching, but this melted side has about an inch. I was considering his recommendation of the 225/75/15s because you can get about 700lb extra capacity compared to the 205s, but they are 2.2" taller and 0.8" wider. I might just remove the plastic and roll the lips if i need to. Thoughts?

Attachments

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the clearance left with just the stock wheels and tires on my trailer with a 24 foot boat. There really is not many options on increasing size.
When hitting bumps and when the axles move up and down over different elevations the largers tires will hit somewhere. I dont plan on modifying my fenders for tires that arent really necessary

My next tire will most likely be these:(someone here posted these)
www.etrailer.com/p-TTWTRTM2157514D.html

Scott griffith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
My trailer guy said to take the inner fender off because that is what speeds up the rust it gets trapped

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a guy today advise me to get 15" wheels then select a tire with a shorter sidewall so the overall dimensions end up about the same. I don't know anything about tires, so have no idea if this is sound advice. He wasn't necessarily a tire guy, either. Just a guy that makes his living towing trailers around to jobs. Can anyone comment on the validity?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
He is right in theory. For example a 205 75-14 has an O.D of about 20.05" . I get that from dividing 205 mm, the width of the tire, by 25.4mm/in. which equals 8.07". Then multiply that number by the aspect ratio, in this tire .75 to get 6.05" then add rim dia. of 14" to get 20.05" . It will be impossible to maintain the same exact O.D. but you can come close, just work it backwards. A 205 70-15 has an O.D. of 20.64" .

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Goodyear endurance 14 inch load d American rubber

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The stock 205/75/14 is 26.1" tall x 8.1w. they have load d (index 107) 2149lb and 87mph.

The 205/75/15 is 27.1x8.1 that's only 0.5" more radius. The d rated tires (index 107) is rated at 2149 lbs and 87mph. Same rating, but i could use spares from my car trailer if i needed to.

The 225/75/15 is 28.3x8.9. they have load e, (117) rated at 2833lb and 87mph.

I'm really only considering the goodyear marathon tires. If i can fit the 225s I'll get new wheels, if not I'll go with the 205s in the 14"

How much suspension travel is there? I don't have much clearance to the fenders to go larger. I also will be launching on some very shallow ramps where every inch matters. Hmm.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The stock 205/75/14 is 26.1" tall x 8.1w. they have load d (index 107) 2149lb and 87mph.

The 205/75/15 is 27.1x8.1 that's only 0.5" more radius. The d rated tires (index 107) is rated at 2149 lbs and 87mph. Same rating, but i could use spares from my car trailer if i needed to.

The 225/75/15 is 28.3x8.9. they have load e, (117) rated at 2833lb and 87mph.

I'm really only considering the goodyear marathon tires. If i can fit the 225s I'll get new wheels, if not I'll go with the 205s in the 14"

How much suspension travel is there? I don't have much clearance to the fenders to go larger. I also will be launching on some very shallow ramps where every inch matters. Hmm.
I did a ton of research before I bought. I would stay away from the marathon. The endurance is the American made rubber. They brought the tire back to be mtg in the us in the middle of last summer. The marathon is plagued with the same Chinese mtg issues.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @djetok i just bought the endurance in the 14" because the $60 rebate ends today. It saved some money and keeps it as simple as it can be, but will still need trailer modifications. I'm getting excited for summer. The heads are finally going to the machine shop this week. All new gaskets, o rings, etc are ordered. I bought a new stereo because the old one crapped out. I'll install valves on the cooling water this weekend. I'm going to see if a can cram a jl10" under the steering wheel and hopefully do some testing on the local lake in April. Then tow the boat to my river house in may and finally get it out of my side yard. I've had the heads off the boat for a year, but haven't had time to prioritize this project.

Attachments

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The fenders attach to the flange on each “step” with two bolts. The fenders can migrate if the torque loosens over time due to road vibration and you stand on top of the fender. Loosen up the bolts and see if you can shift them inboard a bit to provide better clearance. My trailer is a couple years newer. I notice they did change axles as I have a disk brake and you have a drum. Also, trailer rims are supposed to be zero offset; but there may still be slight differences rim to rim (I see three styles) that could affect your clearance.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Seadeals i checked and they are all 3.5" back spacing. I didn't measure the offset because i don't need brake /spoke clearance. I did see those bolts, but I'm still going to remove the inner guard piece for more clearance.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I went with the 14" Goodyear Endurance tires last year on my trailer. same size as OEM, but load range D instead of C. You also increase the PSI up to 65 on those tires. My tire guy said it can't hurt and the only difference it that the boat may ride a little rougher on the road due to the harder tires. Over 2,000 miles of towing, I've been happy with this tires.

Note: this is an updated tire by Goodyear - not the crappy Marathon's that blow out - and as notes above, they are US made.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jgorm , thanks for starting this thread. I’m ready to act on @gmtech16450yz recommendation to upgrade to 15”s but was wondering if I could do so as easily since I don’t have a newer shorelander trailer like he does but an older (mfi ?) trailer like you do. Looks like I don’t need to wonder anymore. Now I just need to find the best 14” tires available and determine if I want to upgrade the rims as well. Many of the 2019 reviews on YouTube that I have seen indicate that Carlisle makes the best trailer tire right now.

I mentioned upgrading tires to the guy who repaired my trailer last season (one of the spindles failed due to lack of grease and caused the rim and tire to separate from the trailer on the way to the lake but not before it rubbed and damaged the inner fender wall), he recommended that I stay with 14”s but go wider 215 or 225 whatever the max available is.

Last edited: