• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

installing a Lowarence Elite 5 on a FSH

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Danielmailin Thanks that was what I did too, but now I wonder how bad it is going to be since it does not shoot exactly straight down but more like 10-15 degrees or so to the Starboard.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
It works just fine on mine. I installed mine more then a year ago and no major complaints.

My Navigation unit did failed after a year of use over 100 hours, the menu button stopped working. I called Lowrance customer support, it was out of warranty by a couple of days, they had me send mine out to them and they are replacing it with a Hook 7 under warranty.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
View attachment 30459
Install the transducer gently moving it side to side to make sure you get rid of any air bubles
View attachment 30461
Then wait until next day!
Good morning.

I'm installing a Garmin 74dv in my '17 FSH Deluxe. I just placed the transducer (which is large) right where you did but I put it in plumbers putty only just to see if it even worked. Then I was going to try the epoxy for a permanent fix. Once it's in the epoxy though, that's permanent right? Meaning there's no turning back.

Thank you

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Good morning.

I'm installing a Garmin 74dv in my '17 FSH Deluxe. I just placed the transducer (which is large) right where you did but I put it in plumbers putty only just to see if it even worked. Then I was going to try the epoxy for a permanent fix. Once it's in the epoxy though, that's permanent right? Meaning there's no turning back.

Thank you
Yes, once its on ITS ON, no turning back.
what you are trying to accomplish is for the hull of the boat to become part of the transducer, this is why it is very important to avoid any air bubbles.

This type of installation works, have not had any concerns, reads at all speeds, except when coming to a sudden stop or going in reverse.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thank you for the reassurance. It's my first boat, so obviously, my first GPS/chartplotter install. I really don't want to place holes in the hull. The install of the unit in the console was very easy and looks great in the white void that was there before. I will proceed as you did and thank you for the description on how you fed the wire to the console. I was flummoxed at the best route and now it makes sense. I'll keep you updated as it goes. Us FSH owners have to stick together ;)

Innovator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What were the results of this install as far as clear readings stationary and moving?
Thanks

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What were the results of this install as far as clear readings stationary and moving?
Thanks
For me, it works well. I get depth readings even at speed. Only very rarely do I loose the bottom and like maybe twice since I have installed it.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For me, it works well. I get depth readings even at speed. Only very rarely do I loose the bottom and like maybe twice since I have installed it.
I have a 2016 190 and the hull is angled at the speed wheel. Did you place your transducer flush to the angled hull or float it in the epoxy so that it is level to the ground?

THANKS!

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Flushed level to the hull.
To make sure this works 100% you need make sure no air bubles, during installation make sure you move the transducer side to side to get rid of them.

I did the install back in October 2015 and has work without any issues at all speeds.
The only time i loose reading is if i go in reverse.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What do you think of the location in the blue box in the below pictures? Seems like the fiberglass is more level and flatter than in front of the speed wheel.

I just want to get as level to the water an install as possible that will work.xxxx.jpg zzzz.jpg

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
This location won't make that much of a difference.
What you are trying to accomplish is that the transducer becomes part of the hull once the epoxy dries up.
Make sure it seats flat against the transducer, if it does, sand down both sides of the hull and transducer before you apply the epoxy.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I appreciate all the fast responses. I've got one more question for you do you put any epoxy between the transducer and the hull or does the epoxy simply go around the transducer holding it flush against the hull?

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Make a ring wall around the area where will install the transducer with plumber putty clay, mix the epoxy real good and fill in the area.

See below pictures:

1. sand down the area were you will place the transducer

Clean area

apply plumber putty clay to make the wall for the epoxy

2. Sand down the transducer too.
    have a beer!

Prepare the marine epoxy, you will need 4 of them from home depot.

Apply the epoxy mix

3. Install the transducer gently moving it side to side to make sure you get rid of any air bubles

Then wait until next day!

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alright, I did it..... will check it tomorrow and test it Saturday. Fingers crossed...

Assuming this works I have to figure out what to do with the transom mounted transducer. I'd like to remove it and fill the whole, but it may be safer to leave as it. What are you thoughts on this?20170601_210534.jpg 20170601_210602.jpg 20170601_210612.jpg 20170601_210630.jpg 20170601_210637.jpg 20170601_211005.jpg 20170601_211531.jpg

jet_fun

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi
really nice step by step presenttion. I also mounted my ducer in the same area.

HARY5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you this is the best information I have found on the internet

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good morning.

Thank you
Did the plumbers putty work for testing the transducer location?