• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

installing a Lowarence Elite 5 on a FSH

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Did the plumbers putty work for testing the transducer location?
The plumbers putty idea did not work. Besides it being a complete mess and very difficult to work with in that confined space, the signal just didn't go through. I'm very happy with my external mount.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Plumber putty is only used to keep the epoxy in place when pouring , it is not a substitute.
There is no way of testing it before instalation.
Once installed with epoxy correctly, the hull and the transducer become one.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Plumber putty is only used to keep the epoxy in place when pouring , it is not a substitute.
There is no way of testing it before instalation.
Once installed with epoxy correctly, the hull and the transducer become one.
That's what I read about this project too. I've read success stories and failures. Rather than let it set with no signal and keep my fingers crossed, I just went for the direct route and put it right below the transom. At least there I knew for sure a signal would come through. I really wanted the through-hull set up though. Maybe air bubbles were in that part of the hull fiberglass?

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It worked. I was able to place the transducers on top of the zip-locks with water in them (no air bubbles) and test there location. I did use a weight to keep the transducers in place. Even with the zip-locks I was getting temp readings. There was a 2 deg difference, but there is a an adjustment in the software for that. I'll have to play with it.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That's cool. A cheap and easy test method for sure.

CharlieEcho

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Hello all, I'm a new jet boat owner so I'm new to the community.

I was popping through some threads when I stumbled upon this one. I have one question (or 2), and I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but how much quality loss, if any, was there in shooting through the hull by epoxying the transducer to the hull.

Also, was this an HDI transducer? Did it seem to effect the quality of the CHIRP clarity for identifying fish?

I skimmed through the 4 pages but nothing jumped out at me in regards to my questions, specifically.

DrGamecock

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m going I move mine when I get time. I’ve done shoot through and it sucks when the water is choppy or you get some speed.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I can’t reallt answer regarding the fish finding question as I ve never used it other than briefly...just don’t fish. From what I saw it appears to work.

As for speed, mine will occasionally fail at high speed in a turn...a transom mount will sometimes do that. Other than that it works perfect. I worked really hard to make sure there wass absolutely no chance for bubbles between the transducer and the hull. If there is not...it will work.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
On my LS2000, I had two transducers. One shoot through, one transom mount. I could see any difference in performance. On the 210 FSH I mounted them both shoot through. One right of center and the other left. When trolling they work fine. At speeds depths come and go.

CharlieEcho

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I appreciate the feedback fellas. As a serious fishermen, I would love the input from a peer, but I'm assuming the rest of them just put holes in their boat... I wish I had more time or I'd be the guy to do a side-by-side test of HDI and CHIRP on both transom mounted and shoot-thru. My main concern is the loss of the extra detail gained in my new unit by placing the transducer inside the hull, but if there's no noticeable loss then its a no brainer.

marc rogers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
E242FD95-A570-40FE-8603-08ED6277F220.jpeg I just installed the elite 5ti with total scan transducer 2weeks ago on my 190fsh. I used the flush mount adapter from Lowrance ($50+/-amazon)and attached it directly to the ride plate. Then fished the cable through the drain hose for the live well, spliced in a tee fitting under the bucket compartment. Once I pulled the cable through the tee I sealed the end with butyl tape that way it’s sealed but if I need to remove it just dig the tape out from around the cable. I drilled into the ride plate tapped the holes used small amount of thread locker, done in about 2 hours. Very similar to Grover70 install.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have mine for about 3 years, no problems with depth at any speed, only loose it when I do a sudden stop or go in reverse. Pretty good as detecting fish and structures like reef or wrecks.

You need to make sure you find a good location and make sure there is no bubbles in the epoxy mix once you install it.

Since then I have replaced the Elite 5 to Hook7, but still using the same transducer.

CharlieEcho

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have mine for about 3 years, no problems with depth at any speed, only loose it when I do a sudden stop or go in reverse. Pretty good as detecting fish and structures like reef or wrecks.

You need to make sure you find a good location and make sure there is no bubbles in the epoxy mix once you install it.

Since then I have replaced the Elite 5 to Hook7, but still using the same transducer.
Thanks @Danielmailin Care to share a couple photos of your mounted transducer?

Mark Linehan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great write up. Going to see if I can get same install on my new 2018 AR190

Ryan Knickerbocker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I followed your installation and everything looks good. However all i get on my screen is a white(or in down scan blue) screen. Any suggestions?

Ryan Knickerbocker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Update.... make sure your transducer is completely plugged in

Bernd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice install. Why the M3 5200 also known as f...k the next guy why not just simple silicone sealant. Hope you wont have to replace or remove the unit.