• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intermediate bearings

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The '07-'09 is the sa
Guys, be careful with your instructions. @cybuch is in an '05 and the '07-'09 MR-1 engine may mount differently as the body style changed between '06 and '07.
Good thought, I didn't see the year was different. However, the '07-'09 is the same. Here is a pic of the setup.

Attachments

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The '07-'09 is the sa

Good thought, I didn't see the year was different. However, the '07-'09 is the same. Here is a pic of the setup.
I stand corrected, I didn't have any shims in my setup, but there could be. Item 32

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was just visiting my boat running the motors and think that my intermediates are ok. I hear the noise but maybe its just the impeller/shaft clang.....ugh! I need another boat on a trailer next to me to compare. I don't have a leak and the housings look normal so I am going to grease them and see what plays out. After a short run I will feel the housings to see if they are getting hot.

I will post some pics of the service manual for this area. Of note, there are shims in the engine mounts AND between the intermediate bearing housing and bulkhead (#7) in pic below.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was just visiting my boat running the motors and think that my intermediates are ok. I hear the noise but maybe its just the impeller/shaft clang.....ugh! I need another boat on a trailer next to me to compare. I don't have a leak and the housings look normal so I am going to grease them and see what plays out. After a short run I will feel the housings to see if they are getting hot.

I will post some pics of the service manual for this area. Of note, there are shims in the engine mounts AND between the intermediate bearing housing and bulkhead (#7) in pic below.
I ran mine both for about 15 minutes on the freshwater hose 2200 rpm last Saturday and my intermediates were cool to the touch. @Murf'n'surf if all goes as planned I should be on a work platform this Saturday at NHYC, if you want, you can stop by and listen to mine.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf you could pull the pumps and run the engined if you really want to be sure. The intermediate shaft runs through all the bearings in the housing, so they'd still spin.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf I was wondering where you got that manual from. Is it like a Chiltons for cars that I can find someone where?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf. you may want to take a feeler gauge and check the clearance between the impeller blades and the duct. It's possible, given the cone bearing issue you had that an impeller blade is hitting the duct causing the sound you're hearing. Also @Jeff from Cobra Jet Steering has said wetting the impeller & duct before running on the hose will quiet the rattling.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Gym My impeller to housing clearances are good. I think it might have been a combo of misfires and impeller resonance. I'll be testing it in the water soon.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry @Noko Those pics are from the Yamaha service manual. They are around $80 or can be found in PDF format on eBay. Follow the previous link or ask your local dealer to order.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, last trip on the water, when I started the starboard engine, I heard the "box of rocks" sound @Murf'n'surf described, but it was cyclic... about once every second or so. When I throttled up in no wake mode it stopped. I did notice that there was a tablespoon sized glob of grease under the bearing on the floor of the bilge. The engine ran great for the rest of the day. I didn't hear it again on any of the subsequent starts. The previous weekend I did an oil change and lubed the intermediates, and I was a little concerned that I may have over serviced the bearings.

That same day I used the YDS and ran diagnostics on the ignition system of each engine where you fail each plug individually, and determined that failing the #3 plug on the starboard engine did not indicate a significant drop in RPM and that the cylinder not firing may have been causing the sound... hearing the valves slapping.

Arrived for a day on the water this morning and the dock hands told me they could not get the starboard engine to crank. Port started fine for me, but when I tried the starboard... nothing. When I engaged the starter it did not turn over. I could hear the starter try to turn and the entire engine torqued counter clockwise until I released the switch and it returned back to normal... I double checked the clean out area and there were no obstructions that I could see or feel as far as I could reach. I did not stick around for them to pull the boat to check for debris in the impeller/pump housing.

Given that, I can only assume that intermediate is locked up. I guess the next step is to inspect the impeller and housing and be sure that something is not wedged in there. Then I'll pull the plugs, and see if I can turn the drive shaft by hand. Next step will be to check the cone bearings, then pull the pump and see if it will turn over... Ugh... I guess my near sinking did more damage that I thought. :(

The worst part is knowing that whatever (if it is a mechanical issue) I will have to do it twice... whatever has failed on one must be close to failure on the other.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Crap!!
Check for obstruction....hope that's the problem. If not, after removing the plugs you will be able to turn the motor over using a pipe wrench on the shaft behind the motor. Try the starter again after you pull the plugs. Your starter just might be toast.

Oh and the can of rocks sound from my cone bearings was cyclic also and it disappeared at throttle up. Maybe you have two issues going?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok...@jawsf16 had a similar issue...box of rocks. Turns out it was a loose battery connection and the starter was going intermittent trying to trash itself. Might be worth a look. He noticed it happened on only one of his two batteries and thought it was a problem battery somehow. But the battery was fine and found the connections loose...that was the fix.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Found the problem... I'll start a new thread with a more appropriate subject line: Engine Locked Up / Corroded Impeller Housing

It least it was not water in the top of the engine... I was really afraid of that.

20140816_111526[1].jpg