• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing Bearings, Wear ring and Axle Temps for 2014 Shorelander

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had posted this on the "other site" a few years ago. Thought it might be helpful to others if I copied it over to here.

Finding all the correct parts and figuring out our ShoreLandr's bearing assembly was more complicated than expected. I had packed trailer bearings before, but this one had some new tricks. Details below for anyone planning to do this. I spoke to ShoreLandr directly for additional detailed support.

Shopping list:
1-1/16" Bearing L-44649 (Tractor Supply has 502T Kit for $19.99)
1-3/8" Bearing L-68149
1.719" Rear Grease Seal (Found at Local trailer supply for $2.77ea, replace every time you re-pack)
**Spindle Wear Ring (Hardest part to find. Get from Shorelandr or Marine Supplier, no local auto parts or bearing supply knew what I was talking about. McGoy Propeller in Lewisville, TX had parts)
Spare Cotter Pins (1/8" x 1.5",2" from O'Reilly worked for me)
Marine Grease tub and gun

Tools Needed:
Refer to photo below. Notable tools listed here.
- Find 6" long 3/8" hex socket with swivel type tip. This is crucial for brake removal.

Temperature Readings after re-pack:
Front Axle: 118 at edge of wheel, 118 at hub
Rear Axle: 121 at Edge of wheel, 135 at hub, 166 on brake rotor

Process:
1. Jack up and remove wheel
2. Remove brake caliper. Start with standard 3/8" hex wrench. You'll need to hit wrench with dead blow hammer to break loose. These bolts are locktite-ed on. Once broken you can use socket-hex wrench to remove. Prepare to be frustrated at this step.
3. Use dead blow hammer to knock bearing buddy off while spinning hub.
4. Remove cotter pin, castle nut, washer and outer bearing. Wipe away grease as available.
5. Re-install washer and castle nut temporarily. Pull hub off catching washer with rear bearing. Rotate and pull several times. This will dis-lodge rear seal from hub. Remove real seal and rear bearing. Inspect rear grease seal for spring health. Inspect rear of hub for evidence of grease leaking past seal. There will be grease on rear of hub, and inside of wheel if seals were compromised. All (4) of mine were "sprung" and crinkled from being out of place.
6. Wipe all grease on rags/towels. Inspect spindle wear ring at base of spindle. Verify it is "glued" in place. If hub has reached high temperature the red locktite will have let go or wear ring will be split. All (4) of mine had come loose, one had split into two pieces. When they are "unglued" they will spin with your grease seal causing extra heat.
7. Re-glue wear sleeve with red threadlocker. Wipe excess locktite before dry. Allow to set 20 min to set.
8. Clean, inspect and re-pack bearings. Look for signs of distress, overheating etc on bearings and races. Replace if necessary. Pack bearings with new marine grease.
9. Pre-grease axle spindle and wear sleeve.
10. Install rear bearing and new grease seal in hub. Use dead blow hammer and block of wood to evenly knock new seal into hub. Install hub on axle spindle.
11. Insert front bearing, washer and castle nut.
12. Tighten castle nut to 18-20ft-lbs(spec from Shorelandr) or tighten all the way to compress, then back off until you can rock hub back and forth. Then tighten 1 cotter pin slot at a time until you can't rock hub left to right. Install Cotter Pin.
13. Install bearing buddy with dead blow hammer. Pump grease into zerk until pressure plate just starts to move outward.
14. Spin hub while looking behind hub. Verify no grease is leaking out of rear. Verify that wear sleeve is not rotating with grease seal. You'll be able to see just the silver lip of the wear sleeve.
15. Clean brake rotor with brake cleaner to remove grease from rotor and pads.
16. Re-install tire and while jacked up grab it from both sides pulling left-right. Verify the wheel will not rock left to right. [All of mine rocked before re-pack. Castle nuts could be removed by hand.]
17. Lower jack and torque lug nuts. Repeat for all hubs then take for test drive. Take temperature readings at edge of wheel, hub and brakes. Reference temperatures above.

1 Wear Ring Location.JPG2 Red Locktite on wear ring.JPG3 Broken Spindle Wear Ring.JPG4 Spring from rear seal Crumpled.JPG5 Old Rear Seal Slinging Grease.JPG6 New Rear Seal Installed.JPG7 Tools Needed.JPG8 Temp Rear Edge.JPG9 Temp Rear Hub.JPG10 Temp Brake Rotor.JPG

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Excellent write up except, I believe, your rear grease seal is incorrect @ 1.719 ID it should be part #44100130 from shorelandr that has 1.75 ID which fits precisely over the 1.749 OD of the SS spindle wear sleeve.

SHORELAND'R S.S. Spindle Wear Sleeve (3500 lb. Axles) #4410089
Be the first to review this product
Stock# 5422173
ShoreLand'r stainless steel wear sleeve for the grease seal shoulder is designed for 3500 lb. axles.
Dimensions" Inside Diameter= 1.732", Outside Diameter= 1.749"

Last edited:

BDOne

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Markk and @Maccam26 for the leads on the wear sleeve!

I just finished tearing down the front left hub on my new (to me) 2012 Shoreland'r. There was dried grease coating the inside of the wheel, so I figured I better see what's going on. I managed to find all of the other parts, but wasn't even sure what the wear ring was. It came out in two pieces, and was not bonded to the spindle.

DRock3d

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not to bump a dead thread but someone may come across this and get bad/unsafe info as I almost did. The spec is 18-20 INCH POUNDS, not foot pounds. 20 ft/lbs is equal to 240 in/lbs, huge difference. I've heard that trailers with staggered bearings as most of ours are should actually be 30 inch pounds but I can't find a manual to back that up.

12. Tighten castle nut to 18-20ft-lbs(spec from Shorelandr) or tighten all the way to compress, then back off until you can rock hub back and forth. Then tighten 1 cotter pin slot at a time until you can't rock hub left to right. Install Cotter Pin.

BEARING ADJUSTMENT
The wheel bearings have been adjusted at the factory. To maxi-
mize bearing life, however, we suggest that you check the bearing
adjustment periodically to the recommended 18-20”/lbs. of torque
and every time the bearings are repacked. Contact an authorized
ShoreLand’r dealer for service.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had posted this on the "other site" a few years ago. Thought it might be helpful to others if I copied it over to here.

Finding all the correct parts and figuring out our ShoreLandr's bearing assembly was more complicated than expected. I had packed trailer bearings before, but this one had some new tricks. Details below for anyone planning to do this. I spoke to ShoreLandr directly for additional detailed support.

Shopping list:
1-1/16" Bearing L-44649 (Tractor Supply has 502T Kit for $19.99)
1-3/8" Bearing L-68149
1.719" Rear Grease Seal (Found at Local trailer supply for $2.77ea, replace every time you re-pack)
**Spindle Wear Ring (Hardest part to find. Get from Shorelandr or Marine Supplier, no local auto parts or bearing supply knew what I was talking about. McGoy Propeller in Lewisville, TX had parts)
Spare Cotter Pins (1/8" x 1.5",2" from O'Reilly worked for me)
Marine Grease tub and gun

Tools Needed:
Refer to photo below. Notable tools listed here.
- Find 6" long 3/8" hex socket with swivel type tip. This is crucial for brake removal.

Temperature Readings after re-pack:
Front Axle: 118 at edge of wheel, 118 at hub
Rear Axle: 121 at Edge of wheel, 135 at hub, 166 on brake rotor

Process:
1. Jack up and remove wheel
2. Remove brake caliper. Start with standard 3/8" hex wrench. You'll need to hit wrench with dead blow hammer to break loose. These bolts are locktite-ed on. Once broken you can use socket-hex wrench to remove. Prepare to be frustrated at this step.
3. Use dead blow hammer to knock bearing buddy off while spinning hub.
4. Remove cotter pin, castle nut, washer and outer bearing. Wipe away grease as available.
5. Re-install washer and castle nut temporarily. Pull hub off catching washer with rear bearing. Rotate and pull several times. This will dis-lodge rear seal from hub. Remove real seal and rear bearing. Inspect rear grease seal for spring health. Inspect rear of hub for evidence of grease leaking past seal. There will be grease on rear of hub, and inside of wheel if seals were compromised. All (4) of mine were "sprung" and crinkled from being out of place.
6. Wipe all grease on rags/towels. Inspect spindle wear ring at base of spindle. Verify it is "glued" in place. If hub has reached high temperature the red locktite will have let go or wear ring will be split. All (4) of mine had come loose, one had split into two pieces. When they are "unglued" they will spin with your grease seal causing extra heat.
7. Re-glue wear sleeve with red threadlocker. Wipe excess locktite before dry. Allow to set 20 min to set.
8. Clean, inspect and re-pack bearings. Look for signs of distress, overheating etc on bearings and races. Replace if necessary. Pack bearings with new marine grease.
9. Pre-grease axle spindle and wear sleeve.
10. Install rear bearing and new grease seal in hub. Use dead blow hammer and block of wood to evenly knock new seal into hub. Install hub on axle spindle.
11. Insert front bearing, washer and castle nut.
13. Install bearing buddy with dead blow hammer. Pump grease into zerk until pressure plate just starts to move outward.
14. Spin hub while looking behind hub. Verify no grease is leaking out of rear. Verify that wear sleeve is not rotating with grease seal. You'll be able to see just the silver lip of the wear sleeve.
15. Clean brake rotor with brake cleaner to remove grease from rotor and pads.
16. Re-install tire and while jacked up grab it from both sides pulling left-right. Verify the wheel will not rock left to right. [All of mine rocked before re-pack. Castle nuts could be removed by hand.]
17. Lower jack and torque lug nuts. Repeat for all hubs then take for test drive. Take temperature readings at edge of wheel, hub and brakes. Reference temperatures above.

View attachment 99937View attachment 99938View attachment 99939View attachment 99940View attachment 99941View attachment 99942View attachment 99943View attachment 99944View attachment 99945View attachment 99946
I appreciate the heat gun temp readings! After fixing my brakes I found the temp difference between front non brake and rear braking hubs sort of surprising until I thought about it some. My heat gun readings are consistent with those pictured.