• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@chris24 what make and model is the ski she will be riding over on. I ask because IMO it really helps to have cruise control as you can concentrate on holding on vs. trying to hold on with a lessor grip while trying to keep your speed constant. It's not necessary for a 55 mile crossing, but last year I used it a ton on the trip to Exuma. It's really nice as you start to fatigue and need a full 10 finger grip. She'll want to have a goal regarding speed IMO. I say that because too slow and its miserable because you're out there forever and too fast and not as fun because you're on edge the entire time. If she can run 20mph you all will be very happy. I'm pumped for her and can't wait to see some more pics of Beth smiling on a ski! Lastly run 20mph and you will not have to worry about refueling on any of these 4 strokes.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce you ain't kidding, plus you may be able to see some wildlife! It is a beautiful ride
My gps stinks in the sunlight
We had 2 gps fail on our last run over thankfully we all had one
But the trip back we ran with the guys from Riva and it was really the easiest ride with refreshments along the way!!
I agree. It's much easier not to have to worry about tracking, mounts, etc. Definitely preferred to tag alone with a boat.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@chris24 conditions will be everything the 2015 trip I would say for me the pace I wanted to keep that year was around 25 or so but that wasn't an option for me. In good conditions she will have no issues if it like 2015 she will probably wish she was on the boat but I understand the bucket list thing. Just be patient and let her keep her own pace and if it's rough expect a long day. Good days are rough days are mentally and physically exhausting

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@chris24 If I were you, I'd have a plan B, like bring another couple with you, and if Beth needs to switch with someone along the way, it's an option.
and/or, @Bruce , when you plan the groups, put a bunch of skis with the big glastron. I remember how, even at speed, @tim h cleared a nice path in 2015.

chris24

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@chris24 If I were you, I'd have a plan B, like bring another couple with you, and if Beth needs to switch with someone along the way, it's an option.
and/or, @Bruce , when you plan the groups, put a bunch of skis with the big glastron. I remember how, even at speed, @tim h cleared a nice path in 2015.
Thanks mr. Moose, I do plan on having back up driver in the boat ready to go if necessary.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
what is the likely crossing date so far?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I cannot believe it, we almost have a date:jimlad:

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
July 10th to 15th.
Hooray!!!! My June was starting to get booked with vball & college commitments!!

@Bruce, for those of us thinking of going for longer, I believe you would ask that those with experience with the crossing would consider making the 'going to' crossing with the big group (more leaders for the many w/o experience), and then extend longer. The return crossing would happen in smaller groups, but everyone at least has 1 crossing, under their belt. Right?'

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Last year, our group was going between 23 and 25 miles an hour on average. Do you think she could keep up that pace.?
Now @chris24, that was not your speed TO Bimini (was for way back). You and @Kevin Sargent were up in the low 30's on the way there. The rest of us only caught up with you 2 when you had to stop to repair broken stuff, and when @tim h had a fuel issue (I think).

For '16's crossings (both directions; after letting Chris go) We set at 23-24mph and it was comfortable. We'd speed up to 27, and down to 19, depending on which side of the roller (up or down) we were on. But once outside the inlet, it was mostly, set it and forget it, at that speed. No slapping or leaving the water.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
yea if its the date Bruce said it would be... I am unable to make it.

Kevin Sargent

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Gents and Wogents, for 2018, I have an idea!

I noticed the distance between Ft Lauderdale and Bimini, is very close to the distance between West Palm, and the West End of Freeport.

After this trip, who would be interested in planning a crossing to Freeport, from West Palm?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After this trip, who would be interested in planning a crossing to Freeport, from West Palm?
I believe @ArmyChief has made that crossing. It certainly is an option for the future. My family is still enjoying Bimini. I believe that Bimini has a concentration of activities around good facilities and fuel supply that is hard to beat.

Kevin Sargent

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh, forgot to mention...last year I purchased a box anchor. It worked great in a lake environment/sand bottom. I will post a youtube link...check it out. You can buy the baby box of large box anchor.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
West End is a little more pricey and IMO more of a fishermans getaway as to me Bimini is more a family getaway. I plan to head to west end a few times this year with friends as I have not been yet. I know from what I have read and watched on Bimini I would rather do a family trip there. These are my opinions but cost to experiences Bimini wins just from my research. I can not wait to go to both though.