• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL audio tower speakers, sub and amps

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've run them in the driveway and they are LOUD, but don't have the clarity I'd like. Before the 100w per channel amp, the stock was garbage. I was very disappointed with them. I'm not in a hurry to change the polk's out, but it's going to happen. I just want to know how hard it would be to get 7.7's in the same space as the 6.5's.
I see. I think you might have to cut the hole out slightly but don't quote me on that. I don't know the mounting specs for those 7.7.

If you are running 100w to your interiors and don't like the clarity, maybe set your crossovers over 150 and take as much bass and mid mass out of them as possible. Especially if you have subwoofers handling your bass. That should help fix the clarity issue more while driving them high. No reason you shouldn't get what you are looking for with 100 watts going to each speaker.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I see. I think you might have to cut the hole out slightly but don't quote me on that. I don't know the mounting specs for those 7.7.

If you are running 100w to your interiors and don't like the clarity, maybe set your crossovers over 150 and take as much bass and mid mass out of them as possible. Especially if you have subwoofers handling your bass. That should help fix the clarity issue more while driving them high. No reason you shouldn't get what you are looking for with 100 watts going to each speaker.
Do not put your mids at 150. I would say 100 max. These aren't 4" speakers. 80 with juice should still be able to play perfectly up to any volume. Sub is going to start getting sloppy above 100.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do not put your mids at 150. I would say 100 max. These aren't 4" speakers. 80 with juice should still be able to play perfectly up to any volume. Sub is going to start getting sloppy above 100.
You do realize that 100 is midbass to bass frequency right? SMH

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Ya sir.

MIDS ARE 300 hZ TO 700. Upper bass and lower bass is BASS.

You proved yourself incorrect. VERY NICE!!
Yes it is all bass region, but mid-woofer should play mid-bass. Hence they should be playing down to at least 80. Ideally for a good blend, down to 63 but that is a stretch for many 6" woofers. Also a SUBwoofer (notice sub) should play sub-bass (low-bass) not into mid-upper bass regions.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes it is all bass region, but mid-woofer should play mid-bass. Hence they should be playing down to at least 80. Ideally for a good blend, down to 63 but that is a stretch for many 6" woofers. Also a SUBwoofer (notice sub) should play sub-bass (low-bass) not into mid-upper bass regions.
No 6" speaker is considered a woofer sir. Ya some manufactures can try to label it that but its not.

Your another inaccurate statement about subwoofers. Some SUBWOOFERS cannot play above 150 hz so that proves your theory wrong. Most quality 15 inch Subs stay below 150 hz. If you pushed 100 or more watts to a 6" speaker and set crossover at 80, you will not be able to play it to it's loudest capability and could damage it if you did at high volumes.

WHY???? Because it cannot reproduce that low 80 hz like a true woofer would, so it will struggle at high volumes. Case closed.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most music most people listen to even my hip hop I listen, is at an average of 300 hz frequencies and above. Only hip hop and few other music really starts dipping that low. So when you are listen to your music in your vehicle without any subwoofers, you are not hearing much below that most of the time. That's a class room lesson for you today.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok for you 180 Hz :winkingthumbsup"

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You obviously have no understanding of sound reproduction, or just general music either. I am not going to continue this discussion.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You obviously have no understanding of sound reproduction, or just general music either. I am not going to continue this discussion.
Thank you :winkingthumbsup"

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the funny thing:
You guys both have a lot to offer, I love reading and learning from this thread - it is really good! just keeping it from getting personal is the trick.

I know - that kind of comment coming from me... i'm such a hypocrite, lol lol.

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Here is the funny thing:
You guys both have a lot to offer, I love reading and learning from this thread - it is really good! just keeping it from getting personal is the trick.

I know - that kind of comment coming from me... i'm such a hypocrite, lol lol.

--
I take nothing on the internet personal, I just try not blow up threads with pointless arguments. I'm fine with a healthy debate that can be backed by data and sources, they are good for everybody, including my self, but that is not the case here lol.

PAsoundman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Most music most people listen to even my hip hop I listen, is at an average of 300 hz frequencies and above. Only hip hop and few other music really starts dipping that low. So when you are listen to your music in your vehicle without any subwoofers, you are not hearing much below that most of the time. That's a class room lesson for you today.

I'm not sure what "music" you are listening to, but perhaps it's solist Piccolo or Xylophone? If you are not including content at 300hz and below you suck the life out of almost all music of any genre. Male AND female vocals, drums, cello, guitar, bass guitar, horns, sax, piano....there are MANY instruments that operate in this range. Without that content there is no body, no impact, no soul. As someone that tunes high end audio systems, I can assure you that anyone designing a system to play only 300hz and above is going to be sorely disappointed with the sound.

PAsoundman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That said, you want to crossover your speakers in the region that is "safe" for them to operate in for the output level desired. If you have to cross them over high enough that it degrades the sound quality, then perhaps different speakers would be a better alternative? Pro Audio type speakers are a great option for boats because they are typically (a) very high sensitivity- which means they require less wattage to get very loud, (b) typically less power compression, reducing distortion and heat, (3) are usually lighter weight than other options.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Finally got some audio added to the boat. MUCH better sound. Question is, should I replace the Polk speakers or just amplify them? If replace, 6.5 or 7.7? Is it worth the customization?
Sweet set up you have!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No 6" speaker is considered a woofer sir. Ya some manufactures can try to label it that but its not.

Your another inaccurate statement about subwoofers. Some SUBWOOFERS cannot play above 150 hz so that proves your theory wrong. Most quality 15 inch Subs stay below 150 hz. If you pushed 100 or more watts to a 6" speaker and set crossover at 80, you will not be able to play it to it's loudest capability and could damage it if you did at high volumes.

WHY???? Because it cannot reproduce that low 80 hz like a true woofer would, so it will struggle at high volumes. Case closed.
I disagree. I put a jl6w3 6" woofer in my Jeep with 150rms. Sounds awesome for such a small woofer.
Stock vs jl

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That said, you want to crossover your speakers in the region that is "safe" for them to operate in for the output level desired. If you have to cross them over high enough that it degrades the sound quality, then perhaps different speakers would be a better alternative? Pro Audio type speakers are a great option for boats because they are typically (a) very high sensitivity- which means they require less wattage to get very loud, (b) typically less power compression, reducing distortion and heat, (3) are usually lighter weight than other options.
Crossover setting is very subjective and can be debated all day. With proper blending of subs/mids and highs you can set your crossover whatever you like. I run my mids and high cross over nothing less than 200. I promise you will not be able to tell the difference in sound degradation. My crossover settings are there to protect the equipment that is being over powered. There is no rule or thumb where crossovers should be. But again vocals are not lower than 200!!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Crossover setting is very subjective and can be debated all day. With proper blending of subs/mids and highs you can set your crossover whatever you like. I run my mids and high cross over nothing less than 200. I promise you will not be able to tell the difference in sound degradation. My crossover settings are there to protect the equipment that is being over powered. There is no rule or thumb where crossovers should be. But again vocals are not lower than 200!!
Seems high to me, but that depends on the speaker and ama quality of the mids. I'm usually at 60 to 150 depending on the setup. I have jl xr series 6x9s with 150w rms and no sub. I have those at 70hz because they handle it fine .Has more deep and powerful bass than lots of 10" woofer setups I've heard.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems high to me, but that depends on the speaker and ama quality of the mids. I'm usually at 60 to 150 depending on the setup. I have jl xr series 6x9s with 150w rms and no sub. I have those at 70hz because they handle it fine .Has more deep and powerful bass than lots of 10" woofer setups I've heard.
Gotcha. Yup they are def much higher than normal. But I have my reasons for it being that high. It has fair me well so far. If my towers were bi amped like I plan on doing next off season, then only my tweeters will be that high and the 10" woofer would be set lower. The good thing about WS Rev speakers is they do have internal crossovers built into them.

I learned some of my crossover settings from some of the big dogs out here. Amazing out of the norm things they do to drive up their systems.