• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

know we all love the box anchor... but what bout this..

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

this is very upsetting... hopefully someone can disqualify this. ... i am thinking maybe he is a little to low of an angle for the box anchor to hold and thats why it flips... but ya see it stick immediately... then flip out...

Different Anchors for different applications and bottom types. . . . .I still believe the box anchor is the best all around anchor for multiple bottom types.

I have to say, I'm not overly impressed with my box anchor. Unless the gulf is smooth as it gets my anchor will drag back until the boat hits the beach. I've let out over 100' feet of rode and it's only about 5' deep out there, and it still does it. I can stand on the back of the anchor and feel it move forward every time a wave hits the boat, and it doesn't keep digging deeper it just comes out of the sand after I get off of it.
Maybe this sand around here is too fine...or I'm still doing something wrong:-)

I've been curious how mine will do in fine sand like that. So far, only lakes, but it's beyond perfect. I only use it with an anchor buddy, and it's never moved at all.

Can anyone comment on how well the box anchor works with a rocky bottom. My danforth has been giving me fits in this 1 cove.

@Wayloncle i have the same problem with my box anchor in the gulf. works great on a lake though

@Wayloncle i have the same problem with my box anchor in the gulf. works great on a lake though
I bet it does, that's the only reason I haven't left it at the bottom of the Gulf! My luck it would probably float if I tried to leave it:-)

I'll be a lake boater in a month so I'm hanging on to it.

I think the issue may be using too much rope.... If you use too much, the angle on the box anchor is too low and if it gets pulled it will pull out....You want the rope to be 45 degrees out basically... That way, the rear two spikes can stick into the surface and bury along with the front spikes... If you use more rope the front spikes may catch, but it the rear spikes wont have weight on them to cause them to bury....

I think the issue may be using too much rope.... If you use too much, the angle on the box anchor is too low and if it gets pulled it will pull out....You want the rope to be 45 degrees out basically... That way, the rear two spikes can stick into the surface and bury along with the front spikes... If you use more rope the front spikes may catch, but it the rear spikes wont have weight on them to cause them to bury....
That is exactly my problem, guess I've always used to much rope, I've always read that the more the better but now it makes sense cause the rear tines on mine seemed to never dig in.
I'll try keeping it in close next time.

That is exactly my problem, guess I've always used to much rope, I've always read that the more the better but now it makes sense cause the rear tines on mine seemed to never dig in.
I'll try keeping it in close next time.

If you are in 3 ft of water, you shouldnt need to let out more than 12 foot of rope for it to set well, it should be achievable with as little as 8 foot.

The general rule for anchor scope (extra line or "slack" in the anchor line) that I was taught is a 3/1 ratio. So for every foot of depth I pay out 3 feet of scope. I have 4 ft of chain on each anchor and add the scope on to that. (15 ft depth would be 45' of scope for example). This formula works with a fluke or bladed style anchor. I have a river anchor for my primary and a danforth style fluke anchor for my backup. You gotta pick the right anchor for the situation. We boat on a lake with a muddy bottom with lots of submerged snags. The river anchor works most of the time although it will drag on a very wavy day unless it fetches into a tree on the bottom in which case it can be a struggle to recover. The danforth holds great in mud and sand but the sharp flukes will grab branches and never let go.
I have no experience with a box anchor. I can see the design looks just right for certain types of anchorages.

The box anchor has a 2/1 ratio. So for every foot of water you want 2 foot of payout. I add 2 ft to the final number for the height of the bow out of the water.... So if you are in 3 ft of water you should be able to get the anchor set with 8ft of payout. 3x2+2=8.... If you are in 5 ft of water you should use 12 ft of pay out... 5x2+2=12.... You also don't want to use a chain with the box anchor because that will negate the 45 degree roper and 2/1 payout rule.... Hope this makes sense.....

Did anybody else find it hilarious that when they said "sets every single time" they were running the same video back and forth? What else would you expect. Lol.

I use the medium box anchor in muddy and also semi rocky bottoms and have never had an issue. I found the key is enough rode...

Would the small box anchor be adequate of a 24' boat used on a lake with a sandy bottom (typically relatively calm in the cove)?

I use a river anchor as well with a chain leader. Holds her no matter what! I see a lot of comment about the box anchor but what thoughts are there about the Mantus anchor. I do agree there was a loop but overall it seemed to stick. Has anyone used one before?

Small Box works on our 24 foot boats. Baby box will not. I use a large box anchor then I actually want to get it out from my non-anchor compartment. Otherwise I use an FX-11 with 12' of 3/8" chain. I personally like the Manson Supreme anchors the most for holding power, but they are a beast (they don't collapse down at all).

Do you use a chain on the Manson anchor? I am guessing West Marine has a pricing issue? HA

Stainless Anchor, 15lb., 18' to 25' Boat Length, 20.25"L x 11.75"W x 12"H 8232043 SSSUP15
Delivery within 2 - 3 weeks.
$1,899.99

Yes, I use 12' of 3/8" chain on the manson anchor. Chain is a HUGE part of the holding power of any plow anchor.

Don't buy stainless unless you need it. In GA, you need it I think.

I am a firm believer there is no one size fits all anchor. In the gulf a good danforth for sandy bottom with a 3/1 rode and you better have enough chain to sink your rode, I have seen them not hold due to lack of chain. For rocky bottom use a good richter style or derrivative that is designed to release. I use a richter in the lakes around here on a anchor bungee with excellent results but it is shale/mud bottom. My favorite danforth is a fortress. A mantis is a great sand anchor but do not use it where you have underwater obstructions unless you are able to dive it up, they will snag and be there... They are highly popular with the diaper hangers.

Last edited:
Back