• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Powell must see spots.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Watching a Powell newbie’s excitement is kind of rejuvenating! We have a tendency to get stuck in our routines each trip forgetting about how much else there is to see! @swatski, you’ve motivated us to go check out some stuff tomorrow that we haven’t seen before or haven’t seen in a while. It’s a blast seeing you see this stuff that we almost take for granted! Thanks for sharing your trip on here!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Watching a Powell newbie’s excitement is kind of rejuvenating! We have a tendency to get stuck in our routines each trip forgetting about how much else there is to see! @swatski, you’ve motivated us to go check out some stuff tomorrow that we haven’t seen before or haven’t seen in a while. It’s a blast seeing you see this stuff that we almost take for granted! Thanks for sharing your trip on here!
We are so overwhelmed! Today we found a real gem, the Nasja Creek Canyon on the San Juan River Arm, what a place. We had it to ourselves for hald a day, too.
Kate had lot of fun exploring the basin on foot and then wakeboarded down the Canyon. That was something!

To me the San Juan River might have been the best, it seems pretty remote. Traffic is picking up on the lake for the weekend but the San Juan was empty. Majestic!

We also hit the Hole-in-the-rock and Cottonwood and Clear Creek Canyons, but I was not really trying to find the Cathedral in the Desert as we spent a lot of time in San Juan and it was getting late I was starting to worry about fuel, the Dangling Rope closes at 7 (but which time zone??? lol).
We did refueled on the way back on the water with our carry-on non-EtOH reserve. It was a long trip, about 150miles and a bunch of WOT runs.

--

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
the Dangling Rope closes at 7 (but which time zone??? lol).
99% sure all stations south of Halls Crossing are Arizona time zone. Can anyone confirm?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
99% sure all stations south of Halls Crossing are Arizona time zone. Can anyone confirm?
Actually the whole reservoir/park operates according to the Arizona time zone despite the majority of it residing in Utah.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reposting here - a youtube clip, end of one of the long, beautiful days there

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And one more thing... perhaps the most important aspect of a Glen Canyon trip with our kids (and for adults, too) was the educational one.

We spent some time talking with the Rangers patrolling the Rainbow Bridge Canyon. They love talking about the canyons and the natural history, informative without being imposing. The geology, and the culture of the land the kids can see in front of them, how do you replicate that in the classroom environment?

--

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question for the locals:

My in laws live in Phoenix, we are considering makeing a trip lake Powell, the Grand Canyon and to see them, how is lake Powell in late September?

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question for the locals:

My in laws live in Phoenix, we are considering makeing a trip lake Powell, the Grand Canyon and to see them, how is lake Powell in late September?
Best time of the year! Temps are in the 80’s usually and the water is still in the upper 70’s!

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question for the locals:

+1 September is so nice, the weather can be fantastic and you have the added plus of very few people on the water.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question for the locals:

Screw Grand Canyon, lol, everyday you spend there in a 6 hour line to get to some viewing platform - and not boating the Glen Canyon - you will have regrets!!
(I'm joking of course, but... not really)

The Glen Canyon with all its magnificent canyons and open vistas transcends almost any landscape on the planet Earth I know of.
Provided you have a boat you can trust, and a good chartplotter (with sonar bottom maps adjusted for water level, or similar).

The LP local guys in this forum will steer you well, great advice, I've done most everything they said and it worked out GREAT!

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Screw Grand Canyon, lol, everyday you spend there in a 6 hour line to get to some viewing platform - and not boating the Glen Canyon - you will have regrets!!

The Glen Canyon with all its magnificent canyons and open vistas transcends almost any landscape on the planet Earth I know of.
Provided you have a boat you can trust, and a good chartplotter (with sonar bottom maps adjusted for water level, or similar).

The LP local guys in this forum will steer you well, great advice, I've done most everything they said and it worked out GREAT!

--
@swatski told me he's going back in September. 😉 I might just meet ya'll there!

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like we might just need to plan a jet boaters meet up last week of September!

In comparison Bimini vs lake Powell, how do you rank them?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In comparison Bimini vs lake Powell, how do you rank them?
Man, that's a tough question. My family would give a split answer (with a majority ranking Bimini higher).
(but yeah, that's how good LP is)

I would say no question Bimini is a bigger challenge. The Strait of FL crossing can turn deadly even if you are experienced and prepared, all it takes is a storm cell popping out of nowhere (personally, I find it rather atractive, lol, love the ocean and how it makes one feel small and insignificant - it helps put things in perspective for me :cool:).
LP can be done more like a lake vacation. A very big lake. With hundreds of millions of years of Earth's history sculpted in front of your eyes at every turn, it has that monumental quality, it's magnificent.

Now, Rueben @rkim808 will tell you Hawaii is like you take the LP and put it in Bimini, lol. But - how to do a JB gathering there??

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, that's a tough question. My family would give a split answer (with a majority ranking Bimini higher).

I would say no question Bimini is a bigger challenge. The Strait of FL crossing can turn deadly even if you are experienced and prepared, all it takes is a storm cell popping out of nowhere (personally, I find it rather atractive, lol, love the ocean and how it makes one feel small and insignificant - it helps put things in perspective for me :cool:).
LP can be done more like a lake vacation. A very big lake. With hundreds of millions of years of Earth's history sculpted in front of your eyes at every turn, it has that monumental quality, it's magnificent.

Now, Rueben @rkim808 will tell you Hawaii is like you take the LP and put it in Bimini, lol. But - how to do a JB gathering there??

--
What's the group rate on a container ship full of jetboats?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

--
I want to do the bimini trip eventually, I also want to upgrade to a 212. I don’t think my wife and kids would handle the crossing, would probably have to put them on the fairy at this point.

The thrill and challenge of the crossing is very appealing to me as well.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree! LOL. The Grand Canyon is just a big hole in the ground surrounded by way too many people!

If you’ve never seen it I guess it’s worth seeing (maybe as a little detour and rest stop on your way to Powell) just to say you’ve seen but beyond that I don’t get much out of it. I live 60 miles from the south rim of the canyon. I have been there 3 times in my life and in my opinion that’s two times more than I needed to go.

If you do combine a Grand Canyon trip with your Powell trip I would recommend Desert View. It’s much less crowded and less of a detour from your drive to Page. If you want to spend a night near Desert View there is a great hotel in Cameron at the Cameron Trading Post. The trading post is a cool little spot in the middle of a desolate high desert.