• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Powell must see spots.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gosh I really wish I had more time off work I could make a trip down to LP this year!! You guys are making me SUPER jealous! Might need to make a trip even if for just a few days. @J-RAD, last few times there I've been to Lone Rock beach. Want to go father up the lake...where would you recommend launching and looking for beach camping area?
So many great areas! Except Lone Rock...too crowded there. Our favorite area is around Padre Bay like cookie jar, padre Canyon, etc. Depending on lake level the east side of gunsite has some nice sandy beaches but the west side is all mud. Warm creek is great. And even in Wahweap there are a lot of great areas to shore camp. Powell has more shoreline than CA, OR, and WA combined have on the Pacific.

Don’t rule out rocky shoreline either. We usually shore camp and prefer to camp on rock rather than sand. It keeps the tent and boat a lot cleaner.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One shore camping tip....it you have a portable air conditioner and decent generator there is nothing better than running that in your tent before you lay down to cool it off!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gosh I really wish I had more time off work I could make a trip down to LP this year!! You guys are making me SUPER jealous! Might need to make a trip even if for just a few days. @J-RAD, last few times there I've been to Lone Rock beach. Want to go father up the lake...where would you recommend launching and looking for beach camping area?
Anyone traveling from our region to the upper part of Powell will want to put in at Bullfrog. The majority of my Lake Powell camping has been in the upper end of the lake. There's a camp ground with both primitive and full hookups. Just west of the ramp there's a beach area that I think is open to camping. Of course houseboats from either Bullfrog or Hall's Crossing directly across the channel.

The way we've camped 99% of the time is by filling the boat full of a weeks work of supplies and camping gear and set out to find a beach up a near by canyon to call home. Nearly every time you go things are a little bit different due to fluctuating water levels. Upstream from Bullfrog, we've done a lot of camping up Moki and Forgotten canyons. I seem to recall several beaches up Hansen as well. Downstream or go-to canyon has been Iceberg. Occasionally there are private coves with beaches right off the main channel. Just keep in mind that you'll have to make the occasional trip back to the marina for ice and fuel, the farther away you camp the longer trip to the marina. We'd generally go out exploring and hit the marina on or way back. Once in the lake we typically choose Hall's Crossing for this. They've got the best convenience store and facilities.

Sites to see include, cave floating/swimming up Lost Eden, hiking the ruins up Forgotten Canyon, spotting and hiking ruins up Moki and hiking Hole in the Rock, and exploring other canyons. Annie's Canyon is a very picturesque one to explore. Besides that it's just a whole lot of playing on the beach, swimming, paddle boarding and watersports.

House boating adds a lot of convenience and really cuts down on trips back to the marina as well as other obvious conveniences.

FB_IMG_1532750330177.jpg
Iceberg Canyon - Parents Four Winns in the middle right.

20160531_160332.jpg
Private cove just up stream from Bullfrog

20160602_121850.jpg
Defiance House Ruins

Last edited:

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got here today. Immediately saw 3 Yamahas. There is a blue 242LS one dock away from us (we are in K docks). It’s warming up some now, thankfully! Just in time for “summer” :). Probably going to toy around on the beach on lone rock. Always fun to watch people trying to moab at lake Powell.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got here today. Immediately saw 3 Yamahas. There is a blue 242LS one dock away from us (we are in K docks). It’s warming up some now, thankfully! Just in time for “summer” :). Probably going to toy around on the beach on lone rock. Always fun to watch people trying to moab at lake Powell.
What’s the daytime water temp?

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What’s the daytime water temp?
Thru Hull transducer and thermo read it as 64. But I didn’t run it for long and that was from the launch ramp to the slips.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s still cold! Starting tomorrow the weather should be good though! Are you hanging around Wahweap or heading up lake?

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That’s still cold! Starting tomorrow the weather should be good though! Are you hanging around Wahweap or heading up lake?
Mostly around wahweap. We are a crew of 3 so we are just enjoying the houseboat and toying around with our 4.5yo girl. We will go up lake to the bridge, for sure. We might do some of the larger slot canyons, but we aren’t going “up” lake to anything close to past hole in the rock.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right on! Well have a blast!

We're heading up Monday and staying in Wahweap or warm creek. I can’t wait!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is Hole in the Rock doable as a day trip back and forth from Wahweap?
Assuming good weather, Dangling open for gas, and I carry 40gal extra.

--

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Right on! Well have a blast!

We're heading up Monday and staying in Wahweap or warm creek. I can’t wait!
Sweet! We may cross paths. We will probably call it on Tuesday.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

--
If you have unlimited fuel, yes, going WOT. But I would do it with a one night tent camp on a beach.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have unlimited fuel, yes, going WOT. But I would do it with a one night tent camp on a beach.
That helps! Are there any no wake zones in the main channel, say past the Antelope area, I'm having hard time to tell from the maps.
How is the traffic in the main channel this time of year?

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

--
Hole in the rock is at mile marker bouy 66 from the dam and about something like 63 miles from Wahweap. You'll hit Dangling Rope some 40 miles from Wahweap. Which I guess makes it about 23ish from Hole in the Rock. If those distances are accurate. Of course you could or probably have a means of using your chart plotter to be more accurate.

We have on a number of occasions made the day trip from Hall's Crossing Marina to Rainbow Bridge to Dangling Rope and back in a day. Not in my Yamaha though. But that trip is nearly the same distance as you're considering. So I think it's totally doable. Just pick a day with low probability of winds and the ride will be much more enjoyable.

Carrying fuel may not even be necessary. Although getting fuel in town is probably more economical than the marina prices.

Antelope Point is the only section of the main channel that is restricted to wakeless speed. If you end up being able to navagate the cut it might save a bit. Traffic won't be too bad at all for you. There's always plenty of room to roam.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hole in the rock is at mile marker bouy 66 from the dam and about something like 63 miles from Wahweap. You'll hit Dangling Rope some 40 miles from Wahweap. Which I guess makes it about 23ish from Hole in the Rock. If those distances are accurate. Of course you could or probably have a means of using your chart plotter to be more accurate.

We have on a number of occasions made the day trip from Hall's Crossing Marina to Rainbow Bridge to Dangling Rope and back in a day. Not in my Yamaha though. But that trip is nearly the same distance as you're considering. So I think it's totally doable. Just pick a day with low probability of winds and the ride will be much more enjoyable.

Carrying fuel may not even be necessary. Although getting fuel in town is probably more economical than the marina prices.

Antelope Point is the only section of the main channel that is restricted to wakeless speed. If you end up being able to navagate the cut it might save a bit. Traffic won't be too bad at all for you. There's always plenty of room to roam.
Weather will be the key for us. I'm an explorer type by nature, but if it gets too choppy we'll need to stay low and putz around (or Kate will be flying home that day and I'll need a divorce lawyer, lol).
With fuel, if I can get good stuff in town (premium no EtOH) I would load up on that, my range increases like crazy if I can switch to a higher ecu tune, easily some 20% gains in fuel economy in mid range, that can make a big difference.

There is too many places to see in LP. I'm so fascinated with the history of people and this place.
(yes, I'm thinking this is not going to be my last trip there...)

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weather will be the key for us. I'm an explorer type by nature, but if it gets too choppy we'll need to stay low and putz around (or Kate will be flying home that day and I'll need a divorce lawyer, lol).
With fuel, if I can get good stuff in town (premium no EtOH) I would load up on that, my range increases like crazy if I can switch to a higher ecu tune, easily some 20% gains in fuel economy in mid range, that can make a big difference.

There is too many places to see in LP. I'm so fascinated with the history of people and this place.

--
Those range results are impressive... the whole reflash is impressive. I think 99% of the time things are quite predictable, but there are those rare moments that make you respect nature. I dare say you've been around the block enough times you'll be just fine and so will your marriage. Lol!

Fascinating it is! From the Native American presence, Father Escalante, Mormon pioneers, dinosaurs... AND the geology! I'm sure you'll find it exceeds most all expectations. 36 years and I'm still exploring. I predict you'll immediately start plotting a return trip.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
easily some 20% gains in fuel economy in mid range
That is impressive! With that kind of economy, 40 gallons extra fuel, and good weather you can do Hole in the Rock in a day without hitting a fuel dock. Im with @sysinu, not sure I would want to. That’s a long day of cruising.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

--
Hole in The Rock this time of year would be fun, not too hot. The Maverik off of 89 has ethanol free on the RV side. If you go to HITR, be prepared to use an anchor or two to tie up. Last 2 times there was not enough beach to get a boat on and with the water level coming up fast you may not want to leave the boat beached.

If you make the trip all the way up there and have extra fuel, it is worth it to checkout The Escalante river. It is a drive up lake but lots of cool things to see.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That helps! Are there any no wake zones in the main channel, say past the Antelope area, I'm having hard time to tell from the maps.
How is the traffic in the main channel this time of year?
--
Nothing is no wake in the main channel. Save for the section above the dam and APM. Everything else that is wakeless is in a bay outside of the main channel.

Traffic isn’t bad, but the tour busses double up for summer. So there is that...