• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Winnebago (WI) chain - Coves/Sandbars/Restaurants/Bars

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone going to the Sandbar bash next weekend?

We did a nice trip up toward Fremont the other weekend. We got a hotel room at the Wolf River Lodge and our friends had the couple cabins next door. This gave us a nice pier to park at. We hung at a sand bar right around the corner. Had a storm blow through that afternoon- I was prepared and brought our cover. Had a great time at the bar - they had a live band. The next morning had a breakfast brunch at Hahn a lulu. Overall we had a great weekend!
It's entirely likely that I'll be there, although it may not be with my boat. The neighbor's wife planned her "Girls Weekend" for this, and several others in the neighborhood may be headed over there.

We stayed home that weekend, but one of the neighbors was shooting my wife a few Snapchats of storms that rolled through. It was looking like the Jersey Shore down on Poygan! Did you trailer your boat over to the lodge, or did you drop in elsewhere and boat up to the Lodge? Danny's put in a lot of work to get the Lodge up and running, and he's really gotten to be one of the nicer places away from downtown Fremont. I think it's one of the better places to eat there, and with the outdoor stage, it's a perfect setup for fun.

If you're headed over there, shoot me a PM with your number, maybe we can meet up. There's no need to get stuck in the tie-up, you can hang on the outside edges and anchor off somewhere close by, it should be an easy walk in towards the stage. If you're bringing the littles, mebbe stay on the outskirts.

I’ve driven past it when it was at Terrell Island but didn’t want to get in the raft line so we didn’t stay. Now that it’s up on Lake Winneconne it’s even less likely that we will go. Gonna be a crap ton of boats heading back to Oshkosh when it’s over and I don’t want to get caught up in that. A guy at Streich’s today said that they are expecting 1200-1500 boats next week which seems way more than they’ve had in the past so maybe he got the numbers wrong.

Looks like a lot of fun. We have been trying to plan a run up to Fremont for the past two seasons but we can’t seem to get things lined up. I thought that the only sandbar in that area was “The Wall” farther north once you get on Partridge Lake?
Like every weekend, shoot me a text and we'll see if we can make it happen, Cap'n! LOL Looking at dealing with the alternator tomorrow, just a matter of whether the dealer is going to get my money, or if I'm going to be swearing and doing it myself.

Like I said, no need to join the tie-up, just anchor on the outskirts. If it's an option, you guys can stay over by me again to avoid the armada headed back through Oshkosh. I highly doubt there's going to be that many boats, it's been noticeably quiet on the water this year for the few times we've been able to get out. Moving it to where it is now, it's further away from easy places to drop in, and the locals don't seem like they've been out, like I said, so I gotta believe there's gonna be a decent turnout, but not that crazy.

Where @Brad460 was, is about 2/3 up to Partridge, maybe 1/2. As you're headed up the river from Poygan, at the bend just before you hit the Lodge & Hahn's, there's a spot that's become a nice little sandbar, although it's not huge. Unless you're headed up river for something, Partridge is a LOOOOOONG ride on the weekend thanks to the No-Wake. Lots of people, but if you're just wanting to hang out and chill, the weed beds or Indian Point / Norwegian Bay / 3 Silo's is closer and more relaxed. I'm betting after the Sandbar Bash, there's going to be an influx of people hanging around there.

Someday, we'll chaperone and take you up the river. Past the hook at Partridge, it's some nice scenery, a few places to stop and drop in, and of course, a few bars to stop at. Take a look at a map, and look for Partridge Crop Lake. That's about as far as I've been, maybe this fall we'll try again to take a color ride.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Like every weekend, shoot me a text and we'll see if we can make it happen, Cap'n! LOL Looking at dealing with the alternator tomorrow, just a matter of whether the dealer is going to get my money, or if I'm going to be swearing and doing it myself.
With all the stuff that you've had to deal with this summer it's easier getting an audience with the Pope......... :)

Like I said, no need to join the tie-up, just anchor on the outskirts. If it's an option, you guys can stay over by me again to avoid the armada headed back through Oshkosh. I highly doubt there's going to be that many boats, it's been noticeably quiet on the water this year for the few times we've been able to get out. Moving it to where it is now, it's further away from easy places to drop in, and the locals don't seem like they've been out, like I said, so I gotta believe there's gonna be a decent turnout, but not that crazy.
From being at Terrell Island on non-Sandbar Bash weekends some of the outskirts were mucky. Are the outskirts at Clarks Point more consistent when it comes to the sand?

Someday, we'll chaperone and take you up the river. Past the hook at Partridge, it's some nice scenery, a few places to stop and drop in, and of course, a few bars to stop at. Take a look at a map, and look for Partridge Crop Lake. That's about as far as I've been, maybe this fall we'll try again to take a color ride.
I'm gonna try to do the Fremont run later this month but the Admiral needs to be off on Friday so we can avoid the weekend no-wake rules.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With all the stuff that you've had to deal with this summer it's easier getting an audience with the Pope......... :)

From being at Terrell Island on non-Sandbar Bash weekends some of the outskirts were mucky. Are the outskirts at Clarks Point more consistent when it comes to the sand?

I'm gonna try to do the Fremont run later this month but the Admiral needs to be off on Friday so we can avoid the weekend no-wake rules.
We don't usually drop in around Clark's, but there's not nearly as much garbage around the area, so I would tend to think that while you might have spots here and there, with all the weed beds in the area, there should be a decent amount of sand-ish bottom. I guess there's only one way to find out

Golf is over with on the 18th, so after that, our plan is to start heading up on Thursday's, so that may work out. Mebbe you and the missus either stay by us, or check out the places @Brad460 was talking about. The place right next to the Lodge is called Chico's Landing, and they rent little cottages, which might be nice. Same pier area as Brad tied up to, or Hahn's has overnite docks for $20-ish, otherwise head further up river and stay at the Hotel Fremont, where there's bars and bands galore. The Facebook pages of all the places around tend to have the events laid out pretty well. If you're brave, one time when you guys hit the weed beds over by Clark's, take the trip to Boom Bay for some food and drinks. It's an experience tracking down how to get there on the water, and I think their food is awesome. Further up the river past Partridge Lake, my kid was raving about Pine Grove Resort's breakfast, which is high praise for them. I've never had breakfast there, but their other food is pretty dang good as well.

@Brad460 are you guys coming up for the weekend, or just considering the day for the Sandbar Bash? Where do you guys normally drop in? If you're going to put in around Oshkosh, may be worth trying to meet up at Fox River Brewing for a few beers or snacks beforehand. After the festivities are over, I'm thinking that place will be a madhouse.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We don't usually drop in around Clark's, but there's not nearly as much garbage around the area, so I would tend to think that while you might have spots here and there, with all the weed beds in the area, there should be a decent amount of sand-ish bottom. I guess there's only one way to find out
I'm taking some people from work out this weekend so I don't think we will make it up to the Bash - gonna be a bit more low key.

Golf is over with on the 18th, so after that, our plan is to start heading up on Thursday's, so that may work out. Mebbe you and the missus either stay by us, or check out the places @Brad460 was talking about. The place right next to the Lodge is called Chico's Landing, and they rent little cottages, which might be nice. Same pier area as Brad tied up to, or Hahn's has overnite docks for $20-ish, otherwise head further up river and stay at the Hotel Fremont, where there's bars and bands galore. The Facebook pages of all the places around tend to have the events laid out pretty well. If you're brave, one time when you guys hit the weed beds over by Clark's, take the trip to Boom Bay for some food and drinks. It's an experience tracking down how to get there on the water, and I think their food is awesome. Further up the river past Partridge Lake, my kid was raving about Pine Grove Resort's breakfast, which is high praise for them. I've never had breakfast there, but their other food is pretty dang good as well.
I think that we would probably stay at Hotel Fremont due to the proximity of the bars/restaurants in the area.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Booked a night at Hotel Fremont - Saturday 8/13. We're gonna get on the boat early Saturday morning and take a leisurely cruise up to Fremont. The Admiral actually likes no wake zones to soak up the scenery so it should be an enjoyable trip. :)

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We haven’t made plans yet for Saturday because I’ve been out in Walden, CO all week for work- part of me wants to see this huge Sandbar bash spectacle and the other part of me wants to stay far far away! :D

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well we did end up at the Sandbar bash- Our original plans were to meet some friends at the Cove, but the train bridge was down. We waited for about a half hour and a train finally went through. Waited another 15 mins after the train went through and the bridge stayed down. So we decided to head the other direction. Our friends who came with us had a friend who was already over the the bash and so we tied up with them.

I was actually surprised how relatively tame the partying was- not nearly as rowdy as I was expecting (or maybe hoping 😜) . There were a few areas folks were definitely partying. There was a big gold colored boat with three 350hp engines- they were having a good time.

@drewkaree We did look for your boat, but didn’t see it..Were you out there?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well we did end up at the Sandbar bash- Our original plans were to meet some friends at the Cove, but the train bridge was down. We waited for about a half hour and a train finally went through. Waited another 15 mins after the train went through and the bridge stayed down. So we decided to head the other direction. Our friends who came with us had a friend who was already over the the bash and so we tied up with them.

I was actually surprised how relatively tame the partying was- not nearly as rowdy as I was expecting (or maybe hoping 😜) . There were a few areas folks were definitely partying. There was a big gold colored boat with three 350hp engines- they were having a good time.

@drewkaree We did look for your boat, but didn’t see it..Were you out there?
No, had some family issues, and ended up heading back home. Good to hear it wasn't too bad, I know there were concerns about the move, and last year was rained out and moved to covered area in Omro, from what I heard. This was the first year it went off at Clark's point, so that's encouraging.

That train Bridge almost had us skipping the EAA show last year, it's annoying for sure

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No, had some family issues, and ended up heading back home. Good to hear it wasn't too bad, I know there were concerns about the move, and last year was rained out and moved to covered area in Omro, from what I heard. This was the first year it went off at Clark's point, so that's encouraging.

That train Bridge almost had us skipping the EAA show last year, it's annoying for sure
The guy that's taking over Sand Bar Bash LLC from the previous organizers dry-stacks his 242X at the same marina that I'm at. Seems like a huge undertaking and I wished him luck when we chatted at Streich's a couple weeks ago.

The train bridge is absolutely maddening at times - especially when there are two trains crossing relatively close to each other where the don't/won't open the bridge after the first one passes.

We ended up on Lake Butte des Morts at the Sand Pit on Saturday and had a good (low key) time. We headed back to the dock around 4:00pm and stopped for a bite at Fox River Brewing on the way.

A boat hit the break wall around Terrell's Island a little after 10:00pm Saturday night, three people sent to the hospital, and it eventually sank:

Last edited:

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We canceled the trip up to Fremont on Saturday - the weather looked like crap. Gonna try again the weekend of 8/27 - booked a room at the Hotel Fremont so I'm hoping the weather is decent.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We canceled the trip up to Fremont on Saturday - the weather looked like crap. Gonna try again the weekend of 8/27 - booked a room at the Hotel Fremont so I'm hoping the weather is decent.
All the chaos should be done by then, and that's likely the next weekend we'll be up as well, prolly Thursday night or Friday afternoon. Fish fry? Maybe The Lodge or Boom Bay on my boat - I know the weeds might be a deal breaker on your boat 😁

I'll recommend taking the boat up river to Pine Grove Resort for breakfast - check out their website for the menu.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
All the chaos should be done by then, and that's likely the next weekend we'll be up as well, prolly Thursday night or Friday afternoon. Fish fry? Maybe The Lodge or Boom Bay on my boat - I know the weeds might be a deal breaker on your boat 😁

I'll recommend taking the boat up river to Pine Grove Resort for breakfast - check out their website for the menu.
Let me talk to the Admiral but this could work. Our original plan was to take a nice leisurely ride up to Fremont first thing on Saturday morning and stay the night but I don't think she would have any objections going up a day early and staying two nights. Heading to Boom Bay for a fish fry on your boat sounds like a great idea. :)

FredB32

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Not sure how i missed this thread earlier, but we just got our first boat this year and have a spot on the dock at Skipper Bud's in Oshkosh...so far all 3-4 times out are on BDM, tonight we'll be out there again! Just learning the ropes, but when I have a bit more time I'll go through this thread. Another buddy just got a Yamaha as well, so maybe we have enough people to meet up and have our own little sandbar extravaganza? :)

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello Fred and welcome aboard!! There's a nice sandbar just west of Skipper Bud's on BDM called the "Sand Pit" so make sure you check that out if you haven't already.

We are out most weekends and would be happy to meet up. Getting an audience with @drewkaree is a bit more difficult but is well worth the effort. :)

My boat is dry stacked at Sweetwater Performance Center just down the river from you and there are a few Yamaha's there as well.

We might be out for a few hours on Sunday but it's a little iffy at this point.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure how i missed this thread earlier, but we just got our first boat this year and have a spot on the dock at Skipper Bud's in Oshkosh...so far all 3-4 times out are on BDM, tonight we'll be out there again! Just learning the ropes, but when I have a bit more time I'll go through this thread. Another buddy just got a Yamaha as well, so maybe we have enough people to meet up and have our own little sandbar extravaganza? :)
Are you from the Oshkosh area? Update your profile and add your area. I'm down around Milwaukee-ish, but have a place over on Lake Poygan. I had storage with Skipper's my first year, and that was a nice ride over to my place. @WiskyDan can tell you more about Lake Winnebago, and I know there's someone from Omro on the forum here, but I can't recall his screen name.

Lake Winneconne is nice, and not too far from Skipper's. Find yourself the Navionics app for your phone, and learn how it works, and save yourself a bunch of routes. It'll also point out areas you might want to watch out for. I'd set your depth alarm for 2', otherwise when you're leaving Skipper's, you'll want to shoot your Connext before you ever get to open water! LOL Stay within the marked buoys and follow the goofy L route out, and you'll be fine.

Have fun!

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We booked a couple nights at the Wolf River Lodge over Memorial Day weekend- Friday and Saturday nights. We have a few other families staying at the lodge and cabins right on the water.

FredB32

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hello Fred and welcome aboard!! There's a nice sandbar just west of Skipper Bud's on BDM called the "Sand Pit" so make sure you check that out if you haven't already.

We are out most weekends and would be happy to meet up. Getting an audience with @drewkaree is a bit more difficult but is well worth the effort. :)

My boat is dry stacked at Sweetwater Performance Center just down the river from you and there are a few Yamaha's there as well.

We might be out for a few hours on Sunday but it's a little iffy at this point.
I think we've typically been spending our time at the Sand Pit, when we're not just floating around. You're right in that it's a short trip from SB's and a pretty nice spot to just hang out, 2-3' of water. We were out there last night from about 530-800...time tends to fly when you're out on the water! We have a little group of 6 of us (sometimes 8 if my other buddy shows up), and just kind of hang out and play games.

1660748718332.png

FredB32

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Are you from the Oshkosh area? Update your profile and add your area. I'm down around Milwaukee-ish, but have a place over on Lake Poygan. I had storage with Skipper's my first year, and that was a nice ride over to my place. @WiskyDan can tell you more about Lake Winnebago, and I know there's someone from Omro on the forum here, but I can't recall his screen name.

Lake Winneconne is nice, and not too far from Skipper's. Find yourself the Navionics app for your phone, and learn how it works, and save yourself a bunch of routes. It'll also point out areas you might want to watch out for. I'd set your depth alarm for 2', otherwise when you're leaving Skipper's, you'll want to shoot your Connext before you ever get to open water! LOL Stay within the marked buoys and follow the goofy L route out, and you'll be fine.

Have fun!
Already have it set pretty low...for just the reasons you mention! Right now the annoying alarm is low fuel...but man are those dock prices sky high ($5.89-6.29/g). I bought a 5g gas can last night and hauled it to the boat. Went easier than I expected, so I'm thinking I'll just continuously top it off. I figured it would save us potentially $1,000/year on gas costs vs. any on-water station. That's a chunk of change!

We're in south Neenah, and the boat is docked at SB's for the rest of the season (unsure on plans for next year at this point). Drive time is ~15 mins tops, so it's not bad. Ironically enough we live literally across the street from lakefront on Winnebago...but most of the time I look out there it's super choppy and no place for our 21' boat! Maybe in the future though, as we do spend some time on the far side of the lake (Ziegler Winery) and it would be nice to just scoot across. Although with that said, having a bit too much wine and braving the chop on the way back might not always be a great idea!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We booked a couple nights at the Wolf River Lodge over Memorial Day weekend- Friday and Saturday nights. We have a few other families staying at the lodge and cabins right on the water.
We looked at Wolf River Lodge when planning the Fremont trip but we wanted to be closer to downtown Fremont in case we had a few too many...... :)

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think we've typically been spending our time at the Sand Pit, when we're not just floating around. You're right in that it's a short trip from SB's and a pretty nice spot to just hang out, 2-3' of water. We were out there last night from about 530-800...time tends to fly when you're out on the water! We have a little group of 6 of us (sometimes 8 if my other buddy shows up), and just kind of hang out and play games.
It's a nice spot - we were there all day on Saturday 8/6.

We're in south Neenah, and the boat is docked at SB's for the rest of the season (unsure on plans for next year at this point). Drive time is ~15 mins tops, so it's not bad. Ironically enough we live literally across the street from lakefront on Winnebago...but most of the time I look out there it's super choppy and no place for our 21' boat! Maybe in the future though, as we do spend some time on the far side of the lake (Ziegler Winery) and it would be nice to just scoot across. Although with that said, having a bit too much wine and braving the chop on the way back might not always be a great idea!
I had trim tabs installed on the boat at the beginning of the 2021 season - they make choppy days on Winnebago much more palatable.