• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Completed LectroTab Trim Tabs Group Buy 2020-Ends March 31 2020

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok so I got ahead of myself and mounted one tab. Then I noticed that some owners are pushing the trim tab far out to the sides and others mounting closer to the ride plate/ motors does it make a big difference? Now that I have 13 holes in my boat. @swatski mine are mounted more like yours maybe a 1/8" farther out
You are likely fine, go with what you have. Mine ended up closer to the ride plate but that is due to the limitations of the 190. Regardless of where they are (within reason), the tabs will provide lift.

RampRage

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Installed my tabs yesterday. Thanks for all of the pictures and tips everyone posted.

IMG_1913.jpegIMG_1912.jpeg

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I’m just about to get around to installing my set (could’ve jumped in on this years group buy practically lol) and a new concern has come to mind - forklifts. I store my SX230 at a high and dry, meaning it’s subjected to the forklift (and their drivers) twice every time they pull it out. Of course they’ve got a big honkin’ sign saying “we are not responsible for trim tabs”. That being said, have any of you guys with the stepped hull looked at it from that perspective? I’ve got the 12x12’s and I’m worried the fins would get caught if pointing down and if pointed up they wouldn’t clear past the plane of the hull even with the auto retracting feature. I’ve also watched the drivers at my marina operate and they all tend to angle their forks down to get under the boat - further putting the tabs at risk IMO. Any opinions/thoughts from those that have em on? I’m having a nightmare of coming out and seeing them dangling with the hull looking like Swiss cheese.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I’m just about to get around to installing my set (could’ve jumped in on this years group buy practically lol) and a new concern has come to mind - forklifts. I store my SX230 at a high and dry, meaning it’s subjected to the forklift (and their drivers) twice every time they pull it out. Of course they’ve got a big honkin’ sign saying “we are not responsible for trim tabs”. That being said, have any of you guys with the stepped hull looked at it from that perspective? I’ve got the 12x12’s and I’m worried the fins would get caught if pointing down and if pointed up they wouldn’t clear past the plane of the hull even with the auto retracting feature. I’ve also watched the drivers at my marina operate and they all tend to angle their forks down to get under the boat - further putting the tabs at risk IMO. Any opinions/thoughts from those that have em on? I’m having a nightmare of coming out and seeing them dangling with the hull looking like Swiss cheese.
The auto retract keeps them up until you put them down. Mine do retract above the bottom plane of the hull. I installed a HDPE shim and get a little more retraction angle up. As long as they don't rock the boat, they will clear.

All the way up

20170519_185412.jpg

All the way down.

20170522_132159.jpg

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The auto retract keeps them up until you put them down. Mine do retract above the bottom plane of the hull. I installed a HDPE shim and get a little more retraction angle up. As long as they don't rock the boat, they will clear.

All the way up

View attachment 141547

All the way down.

View attachment 141549
Thanks @zipper - your photos are actually one of the ones I’ve been using for reference. That image shows they’ll clear the body of the tabs nicely, what about the fins? The forks are so wide that they’ll inevitably align with one or the other fin.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The cobra ultimates do hang down a little, spring loaded. However it really depends where the forks are aligned/spaced. If they pick from under the tabs, that is a good distance from the fins. They can't pick from under the fins, too narrow. There is a space between the two, but they will most likely spread them as much as possible. Just took this, for reference, before I go out into the woods.

20210205_094418.jpg

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The cobra ultimates do hang down a little, spring loaded. However it really depends where the forks are aligned/spaced. If they pick from under the tabs, that is a good distance from the fins. They can't pick from under the fins, too narrow. There is a space between the two, but they will most likely spread them as much as possible. Just took this, for reference, before I go out into the woods.
Sorry - I meant the fins hanging down on the trim tabs, not the cobra fins! lol

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Gotha, I will check with straight edge in a few hours.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, at 90° bend they will interfere by 3/16"-1/4".

45° or trimming them by that much might work.

20210205_123817.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There is a good 1/4" gap between the top of the tab and the hull. You may be able to gain some clearance by positioning the actuators to allow a closer tolerance. I will take a picture later.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a good 1/4" gap between the top of the tab and the hull. You may be able to gain some clearance by positioning the actuators to allow a closer tolerance. I will take a picture later.
Right. I was debating between pulling them tighter to the hull, or increasing the shim a bit to increase the angle and hide the fin a bit more, but both I suppose are limiting travel and even then it we’re talking fractions of an inch which are easily negated by a fork that’s tilted forward. I had considered mounting them to the transom, but then you’re really changing the geometry and if I recall lectrotab advises against it. Might have to have a conversation with lectrotab and the marina to see what my options are (besides “hey, please don’t break my tabs” lol).

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fins can be installed upside down from that (with the 'fins' up). That should solve the issue, no?

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The fins can be installed upside down from that (with the 'fins' up). That should solve the issue, no?
Unfortunately not, cuz then the whole body of the tab would be below plane or the fins would contact the hull.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok, I am back. A couple of pictures to ponder. The first one shows the gap I talked about. If you cut the bolts off, like I did not, (plenty of clearance between bolt and gelcoat as is) you can close that gap, by moving the top of the actuator where it mounts under the swim deck aft. The clearance is larger than I thought. I fed a long 3/8" bolt into the gap freely without touching gelcoat. So fitting it a little better than I did, will probably get you the clearance required. When you mount the top of the actuator, shoot for the backing plate for the tie downs.

20210205_145320.jpg

20210205_145618.jpg

20190131_065639.jpg

I have to say I never considered being lifted by a forklift when I did the install 4 years ago.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ah, I see now. Y'all's install is different from mine. Mine is flat against the transom, not against the bottom like that. Nevermind... carry on.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have to say I never considered being lifted by a forklift when I did the install 4 years ago.
Thanks. Ya I hadn’t considered it till a few days ago.