• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lectrotab Trim Tabs

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok finally got to see the tabs in action under semi rough conditions. We had about 20-25 mph winds all day yesterday so it was more rough than the previous day. The good thing about it is I had 4 other people in the boat so it helped me test out the altitude and roll with the automatic controller.

All I can is wow wow wow. First I am able to plane out very quickly to take on the waves. As stated before, the tabs never deploy to where the bow is pointed lower than the stern. Truly is leveling on it's own. Had some people walk around the boat while moving at 10 mph to 30 mph. The auto controller did all the work for me without me having to adjusting the tabs manually. The boat always stayed at plane level no matter where the stern/bow was. At one point the controller had the port side tabs deployed 3/4 of the way while the starboard side raised up all the way. I was thinking if I didn't have the auto feature while cruising I just don't think there is any way I could have made such adjustment on the fly. I would be messing with the controller more than paying attention to the water road ahead like using a cell phone while driving.

Another great feature of the auto controller is it will not attempt to level the boat while turning. Next time I am at the lake, I am going to try and time my time to plane out to see how fast it achieves it. My passengers all were liking the ride as we never got wet and the boat rode leveled no matter where we were going. So much more comfortable ride now. The hull really cuts thru waves nicely while the boat is leveled out. I really recommend the auto controller for these tabs. But before I get all hyped, I do want to take the boat out more and do some more test runs. It's easier for me to get better results and film things while I don't have guests to entertain. Lol

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@FloJet it sounds like you are ready for Bimini 2018 :D

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha I know right. I would like to go on that trip one day.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok finally got to see the tabs in action under semi rough conditions. We had about 20-25 mph winds all day yesterday so it was more rough than the previous day. The good thing about it is I had 4 other people in the boat so it helped me test out the altitude and roll with the automatic controller.

All I can is wow wow wow. First I am able to plane out very quickly to take on the waves. As stated before, the tabs never deploy to where the bow is pointed lower than the stern. Truly is leveling on it's own. Had some people walk around the boat while moving at 10 mph to 30 mph. The auto controller did all the work for me without me having to adjusting the tabs manually. The boat always stayed at plane level no matter where the stern/bow was. At one point the controller had the port side tabs deployed 3/4 of the way while the starboard side raised up all the way. I was thinking if I didn't have the auto feature while cruising I just don't think there is any way I could have made such adjustment on the fly. I would be messing with the controller more than paying attention to the water road ahead like using a cell phone while driving.

Another great feature of the auto controller is it will not attempt to level the boat while turning. Next time I am at the lake, I am going to try and time my time to plane out to see how fast it achieves it. My passengers all were liking the ride as we never got wet and the boat rode leveled no matter where we were going. So much more comfortable ride now. The hull really cuts thru waves nicely while the boat is leveled out. I really recommend the auto controller for these tabs. But before I get all hyped, I do want to take the boat out more and do some more test runs. It's easier for me to get better results and film things while I don't have guests to entertain. Lol
I guess I have been proven wrong! I never would have thought that a fully auto controller would work well in a boat that small, clearly these systems have come a long way.

Thanks for testing and sharing, definitely something to think about. In my case it would be an easy swap.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't say you are wrong. I still think it needs more testing and especially from someone who is more experienced with trim tabs than me. You might want to test it out one day and see what you think on them first hand.

But you are right, it would be an easy swap out for you. That's another thing I do like about the controller. Nothing extra you have to buy for it. It pushed my order up couple hundred but in the end I think it's well worth it so far. But only time will definitely tell.

paulellison72

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@FloJet, do you have any photos of your install, i purchased the 12x9 tabs awhile back with the auto controls and havent gotten to put them on yet, i am getting ready to takle them here in the next few weeks and wanted to get some input from someone who has used the system and installed them. and where did you install the control box.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes sir. I put the box directly in front of me just cause I like to have my forehand on the trottles while on the go and this allows me to have the tabs and ride steady controller on reach. Plus this made it alot easier to screw down the controller. You have to be able to access controller on the back to tighten it down. Only thing I'm not a fan about. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes sir. I put the box directly in front of me just cause I like to have my forehand on the trottles while on the go and this allows me to have the tabs and ride steady controller on reach. Plus this made it alot easier to screw down the controller. You have to be able to access controller on the back to tighten it down. Only thing I'm not a fan about. Let me know if you have any questions.
Great install!

Funny, I considered the same spot for the controller:
upload_2017-10-17_22-31-56.png

Ended up a more traditional placement, but for the AUTO system - I like that spot a lot, you can stand up and not worry about it.
This is where I ended up with mine:
upload_2017-10-17_22-33-50.png

The tabs are great, I would not go without those again:
upload_2017-10-17_22-35-55.png

--

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Where's the best place to buy the tabs and auto control? I think that might be next up on my list of mods. Debating between speakers or tabs... Probably tabs as I am more practical and honestly sitting around in the bay with 100 other boats blasting music... seems pointless to work my batteries at all. :)

I was talking to Lectrotab directly but it takes them 3 months to reply to any email. I was seeking a standard kit which at that time, they hadn't developed for my model boat... I assume they have one now...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what you need (found my invoice!) - this is the exact set that I have on my boat, and what @FloJet put on except he went full AUTO - which sounds like may be the way to go.
This set fits your hull exactly. It has the tabs flared up, which I believe is the way to go.
Here is the install thread, it is a bit long...
https://jetboaters.net/threads/trim-tabs-options-wake-surfing-and-cruising.12031/page-2

I can't tell they will give you the exact same price, but most likely.
Nicest people, Dan or Claiborne of Lectrotabs. They also respond to phone calls (I can find the number if you need it, let me know).
cjackson@lectrotab.com
dan@lectrotab.com

The MLC-1 is kind of a semi-auto. I like it a lot. Use the tabs essentially every time I go out. Wouldn't be without them again. Probably the best mod I have right now, and I am choosing my words carefully, lol.

Hope this helps!

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@hobineros Here are their numbers:

Dan Roberts
Linear Devices Corp
DBA Lectrotab and Sentry
11126 Air Park Road
Suite G
Ashland, VA 23005
Office: 804-368-8428
Mobile: 804-432-0513
Fax: 804-368-8438

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree as the tabs are way worth it. If you went the auto controller way you are looking at roughly $1045 or so for invoice. You def should call them as they are very helpful. I dealt with Russ up there and he was on top of things. They actually built these custom tabs for me 2 weeks earlier than anticipated and I got them within a week and half after ordering them I believe.

Geez @swatski that's a true captain's helm with all those cool gadgets. I think docking lights is something I want to take upon rather soon.

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@hobineros Here are their numbers:

Dan Roberts
Linear Devices Corp
DBA Lectrotab and Sentry
11126 Air Park Road
Suite G
Ashland, VA 23005
Office: 804-368-8428
Mobile: 804-432-0513
Fax: 804-368-8438

--
Thanks much!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce Just curious as to why you went with the aftermarket auto controller as opposed to the one Lectrotab had in their kit. Price? better control?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce Just curious as to why you went with the aftermarket auto controller as opposed to the one Lectrotab had in their kit. Price? better control?
@Bruce was an early adopter! I don't think the MLC-1 and full auto controllers were available back then from Lectrotab.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce was an early adopter! I don't think the MLC-1 and full auto controllers were available back then from Lectrotab.
At the time I believed I wanted the automated features of the Mente Marine Attitude Control System. Lectrotab now sells rebadged versions of that product. If I were to buy now I would use Lectrotab's Manual Leveling Control as I have found I do not use the automated features of the Automated Leveling Control.

Jack Long

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a shot of my Lectrotabs. Russ and his gang did a special powder coat black on mine.

They really make a difference in the ride during rough water! Tabs.jpg

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a shot of my Lectrotabs. Russ and his gang did a special powder coat black on mine.

They really make a difference in the ride during rough water! View attachment 70371
Ya very nice. I should have powder coated mine too. Geez why did I not do that. Looks great.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Is the powder coating for the fish? Other than trailering, when are they visible?