• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lectrotab Trim Tabs

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone know if the swat ski set up will fit on the 2011 242 Limited S? Any recommendations to this boat for the tabs?
I believe - yes - @Betik did the same or similar install.
@Betik - what's up?

--

Chris Evans

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It will help you visualize, get an idea of size and placement if you make a cardboard cutout of various sizes and hold them up to the transom. It helps to make sure you do not interfere with the tie-down straps.
Thanks. Great idea.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe - yes - @Betik did the same or similar install.
@Betik - what's up?

--
@Chris Evans I have 2012 sx240 ( same hull with yours). I installed 12x12, standard actuator. You can also fit 9x16, but I only cared about lowering the bow while crossing to Bimini. And in that sense it does a VERY good job. Also when retracted the tab are 100% out of the way.
Please let me know if you would like to take any pictures.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the “swatski” version trim tabs installed this past weekend. 16 x 9 side tabs bent up, short actuator, and went with the auto level controller.

I’m happy with the way it turned out and hope to water test this coming weekend. A few minor things I’d do differently.

1. Was so worried about the mechanics of getting everything just right that I bought white 5200 instead of clear and cleaning that stuff up is hard. It was getting dark and had to get the kids in bed so didn’t get as much of it cleaned off as I’d prefer. Clear would be less noticeable.
2. The controller would be completely visible with the throttles forward if I had installed it closer to the throttle base. Instead about half of it is obstructed by the throttle handles. Minor issue but something I would change.
3. Forgot to countersink before I partially inserted a screw to check my mount position prior to drilling the remaining holes and that resulted in a small gelcoat crack around the hole. I took that back to a stable margin then repaired the gelcoat then countersunk over the repair. It wasn’t going to be visible but I didn’t want it to propagate.

I followed the lectrotab instructions and used 3/16 drill bit (titanium coated HSS) with #14 x 1 1/4 SS 316 panhead screws. Every single screw took maximum purchase.

Tab plate mount is 1/4” from transom bottom and tab plate trailing edge is an additional 1/4” above that so 1/2” above boat bottom.

I made sure the actuator mount would not interfere with wake wedge but you can see how tight the fit is.

Thank you to everyone for keeping this thread up to date and informative. Thanks to @swatski for doing so much research in the beginning and for answering my PMs.

Attachments

Last edited:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the “swatski” version trim tabs installed this past weekend. 16 x 9 side tabs bent up, short actuator, and went with the auto level controller.

I’m happy with the way it turned out and hope to water test this coming weekend. A few minor things I’d do differently.

1. Was so worried about the mechanics of getting everything just right that I bought white 5200 instead of clear and cleaning that stuff up is hard. It was getting dark and had to get the kids in bed so didn’t get as much of it cleaned off as I’d prefer. Clear would be less noticeable.
2. The controller would be completely visible with the throttles forward if I had installed it closer to the throttle base. Instead about half of it is obstructed by the throttle handles. Minor issue but something I would change.
3. Forgot to countersink before I partially inserted a screw to check my mount position prior to drilling the remaining holes and that resulted in a small gelcoat crack around the hole. I took that back to a stable margin then repaired the gelcoat then countersunk over the repair. It wasn’t going to be visible but I didn’t want it to propagate.

I followed the lectrotab instructions and used 3/16 drill bit (titanium coated HSS) with #14 x 1 1/4 SS 316 panhead screws. Every single screw took maximum purchase.

Tab plate mount is 1/4” from transom bottom and tab plate trailing edge is an additional 1/4” above that so 1/2” above boat bottom.

I made sure the actuator mount would not interfere with wake wedge but you can see how tight the fit is.

Thank you to everyone for keeping this thread up to date and informative. Thanks to @swatski for doing so much research in the beginning and for answering my PMs.
On congrats on the setup. For your concerns with where the auto controller is, I would not sweat it too much. Being auto, there will be very few times you will want to mess with it. To be honest the only time I think of it is when I cutting thru waves with bow down and thinking how nice it is for the controller doing everything without thought. When I want to be speed racer and try to top out on speed is the only time I take the controller off auto so it does no deploy. Lol

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Water tested the tabs yesterday and initial impression is very positive. We had 10-20mph wind so the lake was very choppy. With the tabs about 1/4-1/2 deployed there was a noticeable difference in improved ride quality. I also watched to see how it adjusted on the fly and the auto controller frequently trimmed the tabs according to the water chop. My 6mo even slept the whole ride back so it must have been a pretty smooth ride. I plan to get some video next time.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Water tested the tabs yesterday and initial impression is very positive. We had 10-20mph wind so the lake was very choppy. With the tabs about 1/4-1/2 deployed there was a noticeable difference in improved ride quality. I also watched to see how it adjusted on the fly and the auto controller frequently trimmed the tabs according to the water chop. My 6mo even slept the whole ride back so it must have been a pretty smooth ride. I plan to get some video next time.
Darned.
Now I'll need the AUTO controller. OR - @SamCF trim...!
What to do???

RE: auto ctrl, I'm surprised those things work as good as you guys are reporting. Frankly, I did not see that coming. I felt those boats are just too small and the auto-trim would be just annoying.

It's almost funny how many times I have found myself scratching my head and conceding I've been wrong, yet again, about yet another modification-thingy in a Yamaha jetboat! Some things do work though.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Darned.
Now I'll need the AUTO controller. OR - @SamCF trim...!
What to do???

RE: auto ctrl, I'm surprised those things work as good as you guys are reporting. Frankly, I did not see that coming. I felt those boats are just too small and the auto-trim would be just annoying.

It's almost funny how many times I have found myself scratching my head and conceding I've been wrong, yet again, about yet another modification-thingy in a Yamaha jetboat! Some things do work though.

--
:p Indeed you do sir! Really is amazing. Makes my boating experience that much better. People always ask now how I get the boat so level to cut thru the waves. :)

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My tabs should be at the house next week. I have 2 weeks of R&R so I have plenty of time to get them installed and tested. I also went with the auto controller. Can't wait to see the difference on Lake Murray.

SeaPSea

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey Guys, I've been searching all over the place at all of the transducer and trim tab installations.
Tons of great installs and a lot of useful information. I just received my Swatski style Lectrotab setup.
Did you guys remove the water boxes and other hoses under the tray or were you able to fish the wires and do the install without additional removal?

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Guys, I've been searching all over the place at all of the transducer and trim tab installations.
Tons of great installs and a lot of useful information. I just received my Swatski style Lectrotab setup.
Did you guys remove the water boxes and other hoses under the tray or were you able to fish the wires and do the install without additional removal?
I fished the wires and it only took a couple minutes. Remove the center hatch on the clean out plug tray.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@SeaPSea Welcome to the club! ^^^^What they said about the install!
Just make sure you measure twice, even make cardboard cutouts to mock it, before you drill.

--

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Guys I didnt want a whole new tread about the tabs so here we go. I emailed Lectrotabs last week got an answer from Russ on Monday , went back and forth and i placed my order wednesday, and received em on Friday, everything looks amazing and well done. Only thing missing was the screw which i think should be included to make it completly plug and play , kinda.
The install when easier than i thought, between long breaks and friends showing up at the house probably 3hrs, the cables were plenty long. Im about to head to the lake to test em and probably next month to bimini if the weather helps. here are some pics.I did have to rotated the struts 180 degrees but easy to do with little muscle power.

Attachments

paulellison72

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone tried the Bennett bolt tabs? I have them installed on my 17 sx240 with auto control 12x12. They were easy to install and set up auto control not to mention the price was just around $700 for the whole system. They are awesome when using them in the gulf and bay, I plane out at much lower speeds and cut the chop for a much smoother ride. If lectro tabs are around a grand I would definitely recommend looking at the Bennett bolt system.

All Seas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking at the Bennett system but was looking to copy someone else's setup and did not see many people with them. Did you get the 2000 or 3000 setup?

Any more pictures?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@paulellison72, @All Seas, I went with Lectrotab to be able to order tabs at the exact dimensions that I wanted. I found the price for my custom tabs to be competitive to Bennett’s.

My Lectrotabs have been on my since 2014 and have made 5 Bimini trips totaling 48 days of salt water usage and many times that many on lakes. They have never had any problem at all. I am very happy that I chose Lectrotab and my whole family is excited about the reduction in impact when crossing waves or wake.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone tried the Bennett bolt tabs? I have them installed on my 17 sx240 with auto control 12x12. They were easy to install and set up auto control not to mention the price was just around $700 for the whole system. They are awesome when using them in the gulf and bay, I plane out at much lower speeds and cut the chop for a much smoother ride. If lectro tabs are around a grand I would definitely recommend looking at the Bennett bolt system.
@blacksapphirez ?