• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lithium batteries

As I indicated above, for a starter and a typical house battery it wouldn't make much sense, of course you could have 1 28lb LiFePo4 run both start and house with minimal weight but you don't get the redundancy. For those that have trolling motors, roughly two LifePo's = 4 AGMS. That is a lot of weight savings and the curve is better. Also those who have serious Amps and draws going on and some have 2 - 3 house batteries (I thought I saw someone post that they had 4, the LiFePo4's would also make sense.

Also there are those whom prefer to by a premium AGM TPPL, if you are already going in that direction it could make more sense to go LIthium.

That is a decent battery but would need roughly 4 of them to equal the two lithiums I have, I believe, if my math is correct, but you never can tell. so that would be 240lbs of weight vs. 56lbs of weight and have the storage, roughly for the same cost. Roughly depending on Group Size of course.

lithium do go bad and when they do and it will you could of bought 2 of these have 1 go bad and still have 3 to play for a week, on my dirt bike weight is everything when you are racing on my boat that battery goes bad and its the end of my weekend, also theres a reason lithium batteries can go on the cargo hold, they catch fire. so on a hot day you risk the 1in a 1ok change of losing your boat. yes im in aviation and also seeing it at the race dirt bike catching on fire. to each its own, i will buy 4 of these 2 will go bad and my stereo will play.

@jocolo21 Of course the Lithium Iron is different than Lithium Ion. Lithium Iron is one of the safest battery chemistry's available. As far as them going bad they are far more resilient than others. Mine are Relion and LiFePo4, not Lithium Ion which I wouldn't put in a boat or any other vehicle.

Here is an excellent information sheet on the in General, obviously will have some marketing in it as well, but hits all the high points of this chemistry.

Relion_SafetyLithiumBattery.pdf (relionbattery.com)

@jocolo21 Of course the Lithium Iron is different than Lithium Ion. Lithium Iron is one of the safest battery chemistry's available. As far as them going bad they are far more resilient than others. Mine are Relion and LiFePo4, not Lithium Ion which I wouldn't put in a boat or any other vehicle.

Here is an excellent information sheet on the in General, obviously will have some marketing in it as well, but hits all the high points of this chemistry.

Relion_SafetyLithiumBattery.pdf (relionbattery.com)
man at $1K per battery i can buy 4 XS wieght is no problem for me,

I used the white labled Tracker Lithium from Bass Pro Shops. Otherwise would of used Dakota Lithium, but they had a super long lead time.

Same battery rebranded for them. Relion rebrands theirs for different companies.

Tracker Marine Lithium Super High Output Lithium Deep Cycle Marine Battery | Bass Pro Shops This is the only battery that Bass Pro Shops puts in their boats and Bass Tracker stock. High reviews, no fires.... Fantastic all the way around. I went through a long vetting process talking to real world users in the area before deciding where to plunk down the dough.

Mine are the Group 27's, 80Ah, I believe, which they are out of stock on.

These are 60Ah group 24 but equivalent to an AGM 120 Ah give or take. For $499. You can catch them on sale for $410

I used the white labled Tracker Lithium from Bass Pro Shops. Otherwise would of used Dakota Lithium, but they had a super long lead time.

Same battery rebranded for them. Relion rebrands theirs for different companies.

Tracker Marine Lithium Super High Output Lithium Deep Cycle Marine Battery | Bass Pro Shops This is the only battery that Bass Pro Shops puts in their boats and Bass Tracker stock. High reviews, no fires.... Fantastic all the way around. I went through a long vetting process talking to real world users in the area before deciding where to plunk down the dough.

These are 60Ah group 24 but equivalent to an AGM 120 Ah give or take. For $499. You can catch them on sale for $410
at that price it makes more sense

My AGM are 6 to 7 years old and whi,e doing well I am thinking about upgrading ……

What is the trolling time you get with the 2 group 27 lithium batteries? I am buying a terrova 80# trolling motor and am looking at the tracker battery brand.

Have had it running off and on for 5-6 hours and they weren't dead when I came in. Variable speed. Your boat is lighter than mine. Haven't had a chance to do a full day of hard fishing yet or trolling. Hopefully soon.

They are Relion batteries just rebranded "Tracker Lithium" for bass pro. Best Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries | RELiON (relionbattery.com)

Just an addition, if someone researching on lithium battery. If properly used, AGM/Lead acid discharge should stop at 50% of capacity, Lithium on the other hand can go 100% discharge, so technically you double the capacity for same Ah battery, plus it has double the lifespan.

discharge should stop at 50% of capacity
Have had it running off and on for 5-6 hours and they weren't dead when I came in. Variable speed. Your boat is lighter than mine. Haven't had a chance to do a full day of hard fishing yet or trolling. Hopefully soon.

They are Relion batteries just rebranded "Tracker Lithium" for bass pro. Best Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries | RELiON (relionbattery.com)
Appreciate the quick reply! That seems to be way more than enough power/run time for me. I assume you have an 24v 80# trolling motor?

Yes I do. Minn Kota Terrova 60" shaft 24v 80lb

@HangOutdoors keep us updated on your Lithium and how it goes after time. I really like the idea of weight savings. I currently run 2 6v golf cart batteries. Heavy as shit but 225amp hour and in it for $180 (but also 130lbs)

Had my boat out at anchor running the factory radio on BT. Couple of hours and my boat *almost* didn't restart. Now I'm looking to add a second battery. Definitely going lithium.

ETA: Also had my fish finder running too.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that you shouldn't mix lithium with non-lithium. It okay to have both if they are separate.

If you are adding a second battery it may make more sense to match it to the first. That way they will charge the same and you can add a battery switch to combine the power when needed.

Jim

They'll both be lithium. I have a powered refigerated cooler onboard and with two batteries, weight is a concern. I like the suggested Tracker batteries.
Plus I have a $500 credit from Cabelas. :)

That's a nice credit!

We have talked about battery weight on this thread, but the other beauty on lithiums are the size savings. I think this is why lithium batteries are fairly common in sailboats and many RV applications.

Jim

Back