• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lithium batteries

They'll both be lithium. I have a powered refigerated cooler onboard and with two batteries, weight is a concern. I like the suggested Tracker batteries.
Plus I have a $500 credit from Cabelas. :)

I have the trackers they are nice

Looking into replacing my standard batteries with lithium batteries. Just got new sound system and need something that will last all day. Any suggestions?
3 pages of posts and the Original Poster is no where to be seen! LOL

Perhaps he priced out lithium batteries - or realized he likes wake surfing and needed the weight or normal batteries!

I went with SOK Lithiums. They are cheap with all the good features the premium ones come with except for battery monitor.

I went with SOK Lithiums. They are cheap with all the good features the premium ones come with except for battery monitor.

Can they be used as a drop in replacement for the stock battery of a 19' or do you need a standard starting battery? Do these need special charging hardware?

Wow, those are crazy cheap for lithiums, I'm use to seeing about $10/Ah.

1631308699602.png
Good lithium batteries at $5/Ah would be a game changer for a lot of folks, I'm especially thinking of RV battery banks.

Jim

Wow, those are crazy cheap for lithiums, I'm use to seeing about $10/Ah.

View attachment 163085
Good lithium batteries at $5/Ah would be a game changer for a lot of folks, I'm especially thinking of RV battery banks.

Jim
I have 3 Dakota LiFePO4 12v 54ah's for my 36v Terrova - I love them and would buy them again (if there weren't a big lead time). I'm going to purchase a LiFePO4 for my little Whaler 12v 54lb thrust Minn-Kota. I've found these on Amazon and thought I'd share:

FLYPOWER 12v 100Ah LifePo4 Battery with charger $379

Not all lithium iron batteries are created the same you need to to watch the grade of the cells do your research 1st just because they are less expensive doesn't mean that you are getting a decent battery

Not all lithium iron batteries are created the same you need to to watch the grade of the cells do your research 1st just because they are less expensive doesn't mean that you are getting a decent battery
Agreed! I did my research well before picking these. A reputable source Will Prowse on YouTube was really amazed by the quality of these for the price. He tested everything from the bms to the cold/hot charging shutoff and both did their job. He mentioned they used high quality cells and components as well. I'll do some testing of my own when my boat comes in but I'm including his review below.

Can they be used as a drop in replacement for the stock battery of a 19' or do you need a standard starting battery? Do these need special charging hardware?
You do need separate starting battery. I don't believe lithiums are good for starting your boat.

Agreed! I did my research well before picking these. A reputable source Will Prowse on YouTube was really amazed by the quality of these for the price. He tested everything from the bms to the cold/hot charging shutoff and both did their job. He mentioned they used high quality cells and components as well. I'll do some testing of my own when my boat comes in but I'm including his review below.

That was a very interesting video. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I have found Will Prowse's website and there are a lot more video I intend to watch.

Jim

In case anyone out there is still considering lithium batteries, I would highly suggest them. I just installed two Ampere Time 100AH batteries in my 242XE and couldn't be happier.

That same YouTuber, Will Prowse, reviewed the batteries I have and gave them very high marks. The only downside to them is there is no low temp charging protection sensor but I remove my batteries when I winterize anyways so that isn't a problem for me. Mine are out of the boat well before freezing temperatures.

They are also very affordable lithium batteries. I got them for $389 a piece on Amazon but it looks like the price has changed slightly since then so just keep an eye on pricing.

He determined that the Chins brand is made from the same manufacturer and is an identical battery to the Ampere Time, just different branding. So keep an eye out for Chins as well.

Nice! Thanks for the heads up on temps. I wasn't aware that was an issue. This upgrade is next on my to do list.

In case anyone out there is still considering lithium batteries, I would highly suggest them. I just installed two Ampere Time 100AH batteries in my 242XE and couldn't be happier.

That same YouTuber, Will Prowse, reviewed the batteries I have and gave them very high marks. The only downside to them is there is no low temp charging protection sensor but I remove my batteries when I winterize anyways so that isn't a problem for me. Mine are out of the boat well before freezing temperatures.

They are also very affordable lithium batteries. I got them for $389 a piece on Amazon but it looks like the price has changed slightly since then so just keep an eye on pricing.

He determined that the Chins brand is made from the same manufacturer and is an identical battery to the Ampere Time, just different branding. So keep an eye out for Chins as well.

I've got 2 of the ampere time 100's on my house string and 1 x 60Ah Dakota Lithium start battery in my AR210... it was over 200lbs weight savings and more power than the 4 x group 29 lead acid deep cycles... i wanted offset the additional weight of the MR-1 HO's over my 1200 two strokes and 68 gallon fuel tank vs the stock 45 gallon... so far the use has been limited to cranking and fuel pumps and debugging ECU wiring... oh and running the sound system while working on the boat.

I'll make a post of my setup soon once I have some time. I have a friend who is an electrical engineer so he convinced me on a lot of add ons. Once it's complete I'll have a solar controller, additional kill switches, bus bars, monitors, compartment lighting, cooling fans, etc in that compartment. It'll be packed full of stuff.

Great post here! I think battery capacity is an issue for most boaters (& lack of room to add more). Especially when you have a big stereo system and sit at the sand bar entertaining for hours. Lol I’m also making the change and looking at the Ionic batteries. Has anyone heard of these? I have an onboard Noco that will charge Lithium but the one thing I’m curious about is the stator on these Yamaha’s, will they fully charge the Lithium batteries without issue?

Last edited:
Great post here! I think battery capacity is an issue for most boaters (& lack of room to add more). Especially when you have a big stereo system and sit at the sand bar entertaining for hours. Lol I’m also making the change and looking at the Ionic batteries. Has anyone heard of these? I have an onboard Noco that will charge Lithium but the one thing I’m curious about is the stator on these Yamaha’s, will they fully charge the Lithium batteries without issue?

To answer your question, yes, the stators will charge LiFePO4 batteries…. At least with my single outing so far this year. See my thread here. https://jetboaters.net/threads/conversion-to-lifepo-batteries.35834/#post-586999

I put in a Battle Born heated 100ah LiFePO house battery… on the FSH boats we have live wells and fish finders that consume more power than most stereos. I had to make a couple of adjustments to how the DVSR operates but I have high hopes of this set up delivering triple if not quadruple of the OEM SLA group 24 battery.

Last edited:

Im curious to see how this install works out for you. I currently have a two group 24 battery system in my 19 242x. Starting & house and I’m looking to upgrade. I am tired of these batteries only giving me two hours of music at the sandbar & I have seen that some of these batteries are capable of starting. What’s your experience so far?

Im curious to see how this install works out for you. I currently have a two group 24 battery system in my 19 242x. Starting & house and I’m looking to upgrade. I am tired of these batteries only giving me two hours of music at the sandbar & I have seen that some of these batteries are capable of starting. What’s your experience so far?
What are you running for amps, that you can kill a pair of Group 24's in that amount of time? My 1000w JL amp runs way more than that on one Group 27. I have a second in there, but leave it for starting, unless I have to parallel them in emergency.

Do you have an onboard charger set up? If not, the engine will not be charging those batteries fully or properly. A good on board charger like a MinnKota precision series also has the ability to do a manual equalize on Flooded batteries which is also very important to do on a monthly basis.

To answer your question, yes, the stators will charge LiFePO4 batteries…. At least with my single outing so far this year. See my thread here. https://jetboaters.net/threads/conversion-to-lifepo-batteries.35834/#post-586999

I put in a 100ah LiFePO house battery… on the FSH boats we have live wells and fish finders that consume more power than most stereos. I had to make a couple of adjustments to how the DVSR operates but I have high hopes of this set up delivering triple if not quadruple of the OEM SLA group 24 battery.

Update: After doing last weekends fishing tournament in what could best described as brutal conditions I can say that so far the LiFePO batteries performed spectacularly. On Sunday, just while spot locked the Victron energy app showed that I used 2.9KWh / 76.8Ah with 19% remaining on the SOC. That would be right at two full discharges of the group 27 flooded batteries they replaced. Amazing performance from these batteries.

I’ll be updating my thread above in a day or so with full details.

The warning of low SOC was a level I put into the Victron app. FD4A0139-599A-4FB3-9CBF-5CFCD58F32DF.jpeg

7E02D30B-C1BF-481F-96C5-825CF2D4C966.jpeg

A77EB0B6-9832-45A8-AB7C-7E7E31348FBB.jpeg

FD4A0139-599A-4FB3-9CBF-5CFCD58F32DF.jpeg

The house battery never went below 12.7V connext screen.

NWS screen shots from last weekend.

EC815581-2D3D-4148-BD3B-DDD152041609.png

9CC57FE4-8CC7-4787-B267-E0E8E20F08A2.jpeg

2227EEC2-B12D-4EA9-9C09-D7DB806E17DB.jpeg

96725581-C865-42E4-A662-F37FFBC91A2F.jpeg

Screen shots of the app after charging from Saturday

097BBFEB-7D4D-4D6B-9E32-BB4A3D279BDF.jpeg

54779521-C6D9-42D1-968D-E9E357298626.jpeg

B73E55FA-CBA8-4CBC-A105-3778CFC3ECC8.jpeg

Attachments

• 9676298C-613E-43F1-9C48-4C03EE0A0621.jpeg
    9676298C-613E-43F1-9C48-4C03EE0A0621.jpeg