• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at lexus GX 460 to tow

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I'm not liking my Silverado to tow it sucks and everyone tells me how great the 5.3 is but I'm not seeing it.
Anyone tow at a lexu s gx460 and how do they do? Thanks

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What if the problem with your truck ? I wonder if the issue is on the trailer not the truck. Have you gotten a chance to tow the boat with someone else’s truck ?

@swatski tows with a Toyota LC, I think he loves it ...

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What if the problem with your truck ? I wonder if the issue is on the trailer not the truck. Have you gotten a chance to tow the boat with someone else’s truck ?

The Landy s bigger , wider, longer wheelbase and more motor than a gx460 wit the 4.6 v8. You might be confusing it with the lx570 with the 5.7 v8. The 570 is the lexus equivalent to the LC but with less tow capacity than the landy

Last edited:

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

It's the truck it's a slug! GM screwed up dropping the 5.7 as far as I'm concerned I never had a problem with my suburban or Tahoe when they had it. So I've been looking at dodge trucks and the Durango RT and seen a few of the lexus for sale responsible priced so I thought I would ask.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was not confused, but I was trying to gently hint that he needs a bigger “truck”.

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I was not confused, but I was trying to gently hint that he needs a bigger “truck”.
I only have a 2012 210 seadoo challenger so it's not a huge boat. I used to have a drinker 246 with a 454 in it and pulled it with a suburban and you barely knew it was back there. Everyone I've talked to with the 5.3 have said they are slugs

ToxicVT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 2010 and newer GX460 is rated to tow up to 6500lbs. I just bought a 2019 242x and my GX460 has been fine for towing so far. I've only towed short distances so far, but the v8 on the GX has plenty of power.

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I live in Indiana so it's mainly flat around here but when I go to TN and Dale hollow threw all the hills the silverado really struggles. SO that's why I'm kinda looking around at stuff.

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently upgraded from a Tacoma to a GX and it tows my SX 230 really well. Definitely worth while to get the OEM tow hitch which is much beefier than aftermarket units. I added it to mine, it was only about $300, and the wiring is there tucked underneath already.

I'd suggest looking at is the Luxury trim level. It's the only one with air suspension which really helps the load when towing. It's self leveling so it automatically stiffens the rear suspension when it senses extra weight. You can also switch the suspension setting to stiffen it further when towing. They all come with trailer sway control standard which is a nice feature. The Luxury is rare, about 1 in 20, and you'll know it for sure as it is the only GX with 4 switches next to the shifter, all others have 2. Some are mislabeled by dealers. I found mine on www.cargurus.com

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I wasn't sure how the smaller V8 they put in these pulled very well compared to the 5.7 they have.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And this is how Ford guys are born...
Welcome to the dark side!

lifeonthewater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I was looking for a new tow vehicle I was trying to decide between a Durango RT and a Toyota Sequoia. I ended up with the 5.7L Sequoia and I couldn’t be happier... well except for the fuel economy lol. Just an option I thought I would put out there for you, otherwise I’d say Lexus GX 570

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Honestly I know you are looking at a SUV, maybe you should consider a Ford Expditon or Lincoln Navigator. Keep in mind if you haven’t seen a new one they have finally been updated. If your main concern is towing the Ecoboost is amazing (honestly it really shows off during elevations). Don’t get me wrong I miss the V8 sound however when coming back from a day on the water and the kiddos are sleeping it’s nice to stay under 2,500 and still be able to accelerate up big grades. I have a F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and the 10 speed transmission (the SUV’s have the same motor and transmission - other than the expensive models have a little more power).

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great suv, dealer tow package and enjoy.

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 5.3 in my colorado, it hauls ass. Stock too, but with longtubes and a tune itd be a real hell raiser.

The 4.6 in the lexus is less powerful than the 5.3 is. If it being sluggish is your isdue, thats not the fix. Step up to the 6.2L if you need the extra thrust. Or the f150 5.0L or ram 5.7...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm on my second 5.3 and don't find it to be a slug at all. If you like the truck, changing out the gears to a 3.42 or 3.73 set, with a custom tune will only set you back about $2k or so ($2,500 with a 4wd) and will liven that truck up considerably.

If you're dead set on a new/different vehicle I would give the Durango R/T a hard look. It's been on my radar for awhile. Actually did a TON of research and drove a few before I bought my Sierra. I love my truck, but if the right deal on an R/T surfaces I'm trading and not looking back. They are a very stable chassis with plenty of power. If you want even more power there is a SRT version that is definitely NOT a slug.