• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for advice on a 2017 212X stereo upgrade

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It is that easy. I will say I had to play around with the gain (mine came from the dealer maxed out) a bit otherwise the amp would shut down for a second or two when turned way up. Once I had it tuned both subs made a big difference.

The other big tip is move the WetSounds bar to a separate amp. That bar is stupid loud when you give it the right amount of power.

Other free power (well you have to buy speaker wire) is running all the other speakers in parallel. They come wired in series so each speaker is only getting like 40 watts.
Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be back over the off season to ask more questions!

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be back over the off season to ask more questions!
After a season and a half with our boat I'll be adding mid-cabin speakers and upgrading the swim platform speakers this winter. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Another small tip is while you are running 20mph or more flip your sound bar to forward facing if you want to hear the music. Otherwise the driver and passenger seats get left out of all sound.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After a season and a half with our boat I'll be adding mid-cabin speakers and upgrading the swim platform speakers this winter. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Another small tip is while you are running 20mph or more flip your sound bar to forward facing if you want to hear the music. Otherwise the driver and passenger seats get left out of all sound.
Yes, please keep me updated. I am not looking to go crazy on stereo stuff but rewires and adding one amp and one sub seems right in the ballpark for me!

Also, what amp for just the sound bar? Surely that would be a pretty small deal for just it right? Where did you mount yours?

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, please keep me updated. I am not looking to go crazy on stereo stuff but rewires and adding one amp and one sub seems right in the ballpark for me!

Also, what amp for just the sound bar? Surely that would be a pretty small deal for just it right? Where did you mount yours?
I found a Polk 2000.2 for less than $100 and it works so well. Huge difference.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@zwillz these guys have the 17-18 212x stereo really figured out!

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi All;

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has in fact added 6.5's to the swim deck to replace the stock 5.25's (Wet Sounds on my boat) for a 212X. I see @geohil was heading that direction with Revo 6's, and I'm curious if he's gotten there, or if anyone else has done so. The reason I'm asking, is that it seems like the swim deck speaker area is molded such that 6.5's won't fit in that space on the 2018 (and I'm assuming on the 2017) 212X. Thanks.

Jeff

Last edited:

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was thinking of doing it on mine but haven’t done it yet. I took out the 5.25 to see how a 6.5 would fit and you’re right that the curve of fiberglass would make the cut tricky. I think it can be done though.

Somebody (@geohil I believe but am not sure) said they had a contact who was going to make a custom shim to make the fit in the curve better. That info might be in this thread. Haven’t had a chance to look yet.

I’m definitely interested in hearing what you do though. In my case, the trade-off between the better sound from the 6.5 vs. the tricky cut hasn’t been that compelling yet.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree with you Dave. Cutting into that area to try to squeeze a 6.5 in place of the 5.25 doesn't seem worth the risk. The shim idea might work, but unless it is kinda thick, I'm still not convinced the larger speaker will fit in the hole.

I'm holding out hope that Wet Sounds will make a Revo 5.25 to fit in the existing space. I've replaced all my cabin speakers with Revo 6's and added them in the mid-cabin. I think they sound significantly better. In talking to folks at Wet Sounds, 5.25 Revos sound like they might be a possibility in the near future.

Also, for those not wanting to add another amp, re-wiring the existing speakers in parallel (two speakers per channel) instead of series should make a nice difference. In fact the Wet Sounds amp manual shows/recommends parallel connections for multi speaker applications. I'm told that Yamaha finally realized this and in the late 2018 and 2019 242X, have now wired the rear cabin and bow speakers in parallel.

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No sweat, @geohill, and thank you for the update. Whenever you can get a picture, it would be much appreciated. It may cause me to decide to put Revo 6.5's on the swim deck.

Jeff