• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lowering 212x tower is a pain

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know it's my first day with the X, but I have to take down the tower when she's at home due to our HOA. That's a serious PITA... it looks like it'd be simple, but managing both of the X posts is a serious hassle. Am I missing something? I tried leaving the top screw knob in, but that didn't work so well... Even getting both Xs out at the same time was pain. What's the trick?

Belleville_Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmm I hope the '15 212X is easier, I'm picking up mine Friday and it's going on a lift with a canopy so have to put mine down every time to lift it high enough into the canopy.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hmm I hope the '15 212X is easier, I'm picking up mine Friday and it's going on a lift with a canopy so have to put mine down every time to lift it high enough into the canopy.
Sorry. It's not any easier on the 2015. But, once you lower it, don't bother putting the temp posts in place just to lift the boat… consider using some foam or padding and let the tower rest on those.

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should be able to adjust the canopy accordingly so you dont need to drop the tower. I only know this as we recently purchased a brand new lift and canopy for our 240. The canopy frame has a higher opening on the entrance to clear it, and the canopy itself is adjusted high enough to fit the tower upright even at full lift. Not sure yet if we'll need to add some extended valance to the canopy for side coverage.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
08 is not a great tower to lower by yourself. I always get one of the kids to help. Don't set the knobs on the seats because they will stain the vinyl.
You can completely remove one side and the tower stays up but it just a difficult process.

Belleville_Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You should be able to adjust the canopy accordingly so you dont need to drop the tower. I only know this as we recently purchased a brand new lift and canopy for our 240. The canopy frame has a higher opening on the entrance to clear it, and the canopy itself is adjusted high enough to fit the tower upright even at full lift. Not sure yet if we'll need to add some extended valance to the canopy for side coverage.
Yeah it's the side coverage I'm concerned about, i can adjust my canopy higher to get out of the water but the side coverage is limited to boat height. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as I think, ill find out Friday

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My first time lowering the tower on my 2015 had me questioning my plan to put the boat in the garage after each use...that is a serious PITA! I will take the good advice and find a nice pad to rest the top bar on, at least that saves a few minutes and some extra bolt alignment. Also, those lock washers are really digging into the paint and greasy paint chips fall all into the boat, argh!

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah it's the side coverage I'm concerned about, i can adjust my canopy higher to get out of the water but the side coverage is limited to boat height. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as I think, ill find out Friday
Most lift manufacturers do have an option for deeper side valance. Either way, good luck!

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
With the 3 point connection on each side I wish there was an aftermarket "Knee" so the whole thing could bend with a screw or hydraulics. It is a pain. My tower (or tow ball) is about 3 inches to tall to get under some bridges.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've never had an issue with this. I'm not sure the design differences on a '15. But i think its nominal?

I place an 8ft 2x2 side to side cradles in the rear weld point or tower mount, remove the lower 2 screws one side. All three from other side and lay the x brace on the seat. As i undo the top screw on the first side i hold the tower up/lay it down on the 2x2 as i place that x on the seat.

I dont Care for the tower bracket touching my seats

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wish my tower was designed to be lowered but it's not on my current boat. However, I used to lower and raise the tower on my Seadoo boat solo and it wasn't that hard once I got the right tool. In my case it was part of a tow rope. I simply attached one end to the top of the tower and the other to the tow point on the back of the boat (the tower folded forward). After removing the big screws that kept the tower in place I would slowly lower the tower with the rope. I did the same thing in reverse when I had to put the tower up. Of course it was always easier to take down than put up. Admittedly, I only did this a handful if times a year, most of the time I just left the tower up or got a friend or family member to help instead.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I lowered the tower once just to see. And realized it was a pain in the ass. Wouldn't want to do that everytime I put her away - and luckily I don't have to.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It's not by any means as easy as the 15's but I didn't think it was that difficult. I removed one side and that carefully removed the remaining side while holding it up, took 5 min or so. Not something one would want to do every time but don't think it would be a deal breaker though.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Er... could you clarify that? I don't understand, but it sounds like you might be onto something.
Welp...i just found my 2x2 in the bonfire pit used as a poker. So this board is representative. Clear?

I lower my tower for the garage, then raise it once in...so i'm doing this 2fold and have no issue......
image.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lol, all this money in modern tech and what makes it easier to use is a scrap of wood or in my case rope.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lol, all this money in modern tech and what makes it easier to use is a scrap of wood or in my case rope.
Make sure its pressure treat!!!

Belleville_Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Picked up my 2015 212X Friday afternoon, that was the good news. Bad news is not only does the waketower not fit under by lift canopy but found out that it doesn't fit under one of the bridges on the lake. Went through the process of taking off the center sections and lowering and Ohh Hell No! am I going through that everytime I want to go out. Already working on designing a quick release for doing this (I am a design engineer by profession). I have found a simple solution currently (until I come up with something quicker and easier) that doesn't involve removing the center section and only removing two of the three fasteners per side. I loosen the bottom rear fastener about 4 thread lengths and remove the bottom front fastener. Then remove the top tower fastener (holding the tower up or having someone else hold) and pivot the center section back which it will hard stop on the tower mount after about 90 degrees (it does not hit or touch the boat). I do this to both sides then drop the tower which will JUST fit inside the bottom rear loosened knob and rest the tower on a cushioned spacer (used a life jacket currently till I get something permanent) at the rear hull seats. Although this isn't a perfect fix it definitely saved a lot of time and frustration of having to remove and store the center sections and also eliminated removing two of the six fasteners. Literally cut the time to put the tower down more then half and think it took about two minutes total for two of us to do it.

EDIT: One more thing of note, if you have your bimini top up you will probably want to disengage the front "ball-in-tab" and fold back depending how tight of a space your looking to go through.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well if you ever develop a quick release, I'm sure a few members would be trying to hit you up for one as well... Myself included, mind you I only take the tower down twice a season lol

Belleville_Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well if you ever develop a quick release, I'm sure a few members would be trying to hit you up for one as well... Myself included, mind you I only take the tower down twice a season lol
I definitely will let everyone know what I come up with and if it's something that will need to be fabricated rather then purchased I will let my fabricator know that he may need to make more in the future if others are interested.