• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Completed Lucky 13 Performance Cone Group Buy - April 1st to 30th 2017

Would you be interested in buying Lucky 13 Performance Cone(s) in a group buy?

• Yes, one cone, willing to pay $275

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Yes, two cones, willing to pay $275 each

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, one cone, willing to pay $250

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Yes, two cones, willing to pay $250 each

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Yes, one cone, willing to pay $225

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Yes, two cones, willing to pay $225 each

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Based on @swatski's huge 49 MPH success with this mod combined with others on this 190 and positive reports using a pair on his 2016 AR240 I reached out to Jerry Gaddis to see if he would offer us group buy pricing. Standard pricing is $298 for each cone. He has offered us discounted pricing of $275 each for a group of 10 units, $250 each for a group of 20 units or $225 each for a group of 30 units.

@dan144k has also used the cones reduce cavitation on his 2010 AR240 when heavily ballasted.

I am hopeful that switching to these cones will increase efficiency and top end on my SX230.

The cone package comes with a number of adjustable spacers that are used to adjust the length of the cone. @swatski found his optimal configuration for his 190. I believe that once these cones are in use on a number of boats we will discover the optimal configuration and what is achievable differs between models but we all should see a gain. Some will want to use the cones for more low end while others will be focused on the top end.

You can see the official marketing for the cones at https://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_215&products_id=2351&zenid=ivqom1f7e7t7aaih0i7q1brkg4

Assuming there is enough interest to reach the group discount levels I will let everyone know how to place your order with Jerry (Green Hulk) for your discounted cones.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will these cones mount right up to a Kawasaki jet ski as well or is it a different model number?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce putting me on the spot, aren't you? LOL. Yes, I wholeheartedly endorse the L13s.

In my single engine Yamaha (SX190) testing was brutally clear cut:

I went to the ramp w/my toolbox and did test runs side-by-side which was easy with one pump. I was just in and out of the water, the base stays on the pump so just take off the cone and swap the spacers through the venturi/streering nozzle opening.
The results were very clear, similar to those posted in the video clips in post #25. Back-to-back runs, all within minutes of each other so there is little variation other than the spacers.
1. No spacers: the engine goes wha-wha-wha for a few seconds when pushed into WOT from a dead stop as the impeller slips (singles have a lot more impeller slippage than twins)
(Not much different than with the stock cone, actually)
2. With all the spacers in: wha-wha-wha sound and impeller slippage is (magically) gone.

With the 240 I did far less testing, basically slapped those L13s on with all spacers and went out - posted the results (before and after) running on single and two engines. Very impressive, especially running on single engine which really is a good "efficiency test".

--

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will these cones mount right up to a Kawasaki jet ski as well or is it a different model number?
Kawasakis use a different part number. If we have enough interest to complete the group buy I will ask if he can work you in.

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm in to buy 2 for my 2016 242 Limited S E

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interested in 1, but can't commit this moment...

RJB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am interested in 2 for my 2016 242ls. Let me know if it reaches the max discount, as that's probably all I can afford right now lol

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am interested in 2 for my 2016 242ls. Let me know if it reaches the max discount, as that's probably all I can afford right now lol
Please select 2 at $225 in the poll above so I will have you in the count.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In for 2 at $225, voted in poll as well. (2016 AR240 if that matters)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just following up on some questions from members' PMs.

Here are some things to consider about the L13 purchase:
  1. our jet drives do NOT have good low end torque - they have high end power;
  2. 1.8 engines have better low end torque than MR-1s, but even 1.8s do not really have a ton of low end torque;
  3. unlike regular prop boats, jet drives can access higher RPM power even when the boat is going slow (this is also the reason jet boats tend to accelerate much more quickly than similarly powered prop boats of the same weight.
Regular prop boats don't quite work that way, with engine RPM tied much more directly to the speed the boat is traveling through the water. This is also the reason dedicated wake boats need engines that produce big torque at low RPM, because that's where they need to run if the boat is going to be going 10mph.

Here is an important caveat w/jet drives:
  1. pump loading becomes a limiting factor when moving or accelerating under heavy load;
  2. this is because moving through water helps load the pumps; so, when accelerating hard or moving slowly at high RPM pumps experience impeller slippage, and diminished thrust;
  3. a good example of that is wakesurfing - when a jet boat is loaded with ballast and going 10mph.

That is where the L13 Cones shine.

--

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just following up on some questions from members' PMs.

Here are some things to consider about the L13 purchase:
  1. our jet drives do NOT have good low end torque - they have high end power;
  2. 1.8 engines have better low end torque than MR-1s, but even 1.8s do not really have a ton of low end torque;
  3. unlike regular prop boats, jet drives can access higher RPM power even when the boat is going slow (this is also the reason jet boats tend to accelerate much more quickly than similarly powered prop boats of the same weight.
Regular prop boats don't quite work that way, with engine RPM tied much more directly to the speed the boat is traveling through the water. This is also the reason dedicated wake boats need engines that produce big torque at low RPM, because that's where they need to run if the boat is going to be going 10mph.

Here is an important caveat w/jet drives:
  1. pump loading becomes a limiting factor when moving or accelerating under heavy load;
  2. this is because moving through water helps load the pumps; so, when accelerating hard or moving slowly at high RPM pumps experience impeller slippage, and diminished thrust;
  3. a good example of that is wakesurfing - when a jet boat is loaded with ballast and going 10mph.

That is where the L13 Cones shine.

--
Good info. I'm generally 'in' if there are percentages of gain to be had. 5% gain at low end, count me in. Or at least let me THINK there will be a percentage of advantage over stock, and I'm in. Basically, I'll part with money to get even a slight edge. Hope the group buy works out.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good info. I'm generally 'in' if there are percentages of gain to be had. 5% gain at low end, count me in. Or at least let me THINK there will be a percentage of advantage over stock, and I'm in. Basically, I'll part with money to get even a slight edge. Hope the group buy works out.
I can think of at least three different scenarios that would make the L13s shine (and a worthwhile purchase):
1. water sports/pulling towables, and wakesurfing (w/ton of ballast) in particular - everything else being equal, a boat w/L13 will plane way better when under heavy load than without
2. running in rough water/heavy chop - you will get much better hook up w/L13s, the pumps just stay loaded more
3. emergency (God forbid) situations that would necessitate one engine operation - big big difference (not planning on that, but it is also indicative of more efficient thrust generation anyway)

--

Sunruns2016

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey all.
Just to confirm, i clicked in above for being interested in the cone...wasnt sure if i was supposed to post too.
Thanks!

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn, was really hoping to get a deal on two of these.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Damn, was really hoping to get a deal on two of these.
We are 8 units short of the max discount. I say we leave it up until we get there. Who else wants in?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are 8 units short of the max discount. I say we leave it up until we get there. Who else wants in?
Darned. I already have them. I don't need spares.

--

Sunruns2016

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll be in at 250 for one if we can't make the 225 happen...not sure how long it will take to get 8 more interested buyers.

RJB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm still interested in the 2 for $225. my vote is still up top.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where's the "I'm in for <$100 per cone option"? :p

$450+ for two pump cones is way way way too much for such a small gain in performance