• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone tried the Lucky 13 Perfomance Adjustable Pump Cone in a boat?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That's a tough one. Maybe... need to wait until your warranty is gone, then rip out the cats and ribbons...:D?
Ribbon delete/intake upgrade is actually fairly easy on 1.8l N/A, in all seriousness. It is reversible, subject to the same factory rev limiter, and you gain about 200RPM in a normal 1.8. But I don't know if other CARB features/restrictions would become limiting (and nullify any potential gains from an intake upgrade).

Reflash/ECU tuning will not give you much top speed in a N/A 1.8 (the "HO"), as these are already highly tuned from the factory. With very high compression ratio (something like 11.1) the HO offers little that you can do with it on the top end...
(by comparison, SHOs are under tuned with a compression ration of 8.5 or so, and a lot of extra performance that can be added; keep in mind - with a supercharged engine, but not N/A, anytime you increase RPMs you increase boost and power)

I also think these Yammies hit a virtual wall at around 50mph and it becomes utterly impractical to keep pushing, I think. The hulls are fantastic in handling chop (you can have 19 ft FSH boats that go offshore for god's sake) but it comes at a price - it is just not built for speed. (pleeeeese do not tell @Speedling! ;))

--
Oh, i know.... i know....
Remember that pushing water is an exponential increase in resistance, not linear. 50 mph is a lot of resistance but can be bested.
I have a hull designed... can't seem to get my garage started.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered a pair for my boat. Emailed Jerry thru his store and he gave me a discount. Will see how they work.

Was only gonna buy one for the port. It cavitates randomly when ballast is full and trying to surf. But bought a pair @ $500.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered a pair for my boat. Emailed Jerry thru his store and he gave me a discount. Will see how they work.

Was only gonna buy one for the port. It cavitates randomly when ballast is full and trying to surf. But bought a pair @ $500.
Holy cow!
I can my wait to hear about it!!!!!!!!

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder how this would perform with my Flyboard? I might have to order a few as well!!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anybody here tried this?
View attachment 44345
WetWolf Adjust-A-Thrust
www.wetwolf.com
The guy's name is Bruce Wolford, the design is brilliant, has been around for a long time. By his own assessment the AAT is good for .5 to 1.5 mph more top end, and it has been shown to work well. Probably better for smaller, less powerful engines, as far as I can tell. I think there are some durability issues.
L13 is (a lot) more expensive, but it is considered the best. I never tested AAT myself.
There are other cones, too, R&D etc. I don't think L13 has any competition though, is extremely well designed and tested in Yamaha 1.8 engine/ pump.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
why didn't I see this before?! and @swatski are you going to put these on your new AR?
I would never have another single engine, like my 190, without it. The 240 surprised me a bit, and I don't have the feeling like I HAVE TO do something about the hole shot right away.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, for some reason the posted link tries to open www.wetwold.com. Just type in wetwolf.com and you should get it.
What gave me pause with AAT (adjust-a-thrust), I could not find many great write-ups that would be positive and critical, especially coming from recreational crowd (and it was not because I did not spend enough time on greenhulk). Some ski racers may like it, but they like anything that gives them .5mph they don't already have. I think the inventor is also very well respected member of the community (you will never hear anything bad, officially) and his invention works. Somewhat.
Off the record, there are reports of those plastic cones falling off.

Very curious if you decide to try it out! The design is brilliant.

Now, the L13 is a brute, but it is a slam dunk. If you have hole shot slippage/cavitation in a Yamaha, and it is not because the pump is sucking air through missing sealant, the L13 will make it go away.

--

Last edited:

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The website doesnt even work
Yeah, for some reason the posted link tries to open www.wetwold.com. Just type in wetwolf.com and you should get it.
That was weird. I've edited my post above and put http:// in front and the link seems to work now
http://www.wetwolf.com/yam/

I have no experience or affiliation with this product. It's just something I first saw a long time ago and have been very curious but haven't met anybody who has actually tried it.

Last edited:

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is how the stock and luck13 cones compare in size. Once installed the the Allen head or cone tip are almost flush with the nozzle outlet, depending on how many spacers are used. Had it out with red washer installed and it worked well, dropped speed and rpms. Use to run about 47 mph and higher rpms.

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is how the stock and luck13 cones compare in size. Once installed the the Allen head or cone tip are almost flush with the nozzle outlet, depending on how many spacers are used. Had it out with red washer installed and it worked well, dropped speed and rpms. Use to run about 47 mph and higher rpms.
Looks good, but... That is a big drop in speed, 6.5mph --am I reading it correctly?

200-300 RPM and 2-3mph is what has been reported, that is before you get it back with pitch tweaks and such. Most testing I know of has been done with single engines. Which is even more surprising. Hope there is something else going on.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks good, but... That is a big drop in speed, 6.5mph --am I reading it correctly?

200-300 RPM and 2-3mph is what has been reported, that is before you get it back with pitch tweaks and such. Most testing I know of has been done with single engines. Which is even more surprising. Hope there is something else going on.
Alright I'm not tracking, how is a loss in speed whether it's 2 or 6 mph a good thing?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Never mind, I'm assuming that the loss in top speed is balanced out by an improvement in acceleration.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie You gain acceleration, but do not trade it for reduced speed. In fact, you should be able to gain speed.
It may take some substantial tuning though.

The L13 is designed to reduce cavitation by improving pump loading/efficiency. In principle, after L13 installation you loose about 200-300 RPM at WOT with NO LOSS of speed. Most DO however report an initial minimal loss of speed (1-2mph), along the loss of WOT RPM (200-300). At that point you have three options (not mutually exclusive):
1. take out the spacer(s) - the cone's base stays on, so that is fast/easy, to get back your WOT RPM and gain back the mph;
2. depitch the trailing edge (ever so slightly, by about 0.5-1mm) to get back your WOT RPM and gain back the mph;
3. bore out venturi nozzle (very slight, in 0.5mm increments or so), to get back your WOT RPM and gain back the mph.

All these adjustments are guided by your target RPM (of say 7600-7650), which is typically 150RPM or so below the rev limit (7,800 for stock 1.8l).

The fastest Yamaha machines run with the L13. I was able to take my sx190 to run 49mph, L13 was a big part of it.

I would not go without L13 in a single. I plan on getting L13s for my new 240.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@swatski how big of a deal is it to swap out spacers to tune the cone? Can it be done while on the water or do you need to pull the boat out on the trailer?

The only time I get cavitation is if I'm loaded down with ballast and/or lots of people.