• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

May 16, 2015 boat run to Charleston, SC

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't see the family jumping in on something like this until our little one is a few years older but I just want to say this kind of boating (adventure boating?) would be very cool to try and I definitely want to try it sometime. I could possibly get a hall pass later this summer and bring a buddy if there is an encore. A run to/from Charleston seems like the perfect intro... and the perfect way to prove the concept and get buy-in for an eventual Bimini!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Seadeals its actually very addicting once you get into it we do several trips like this a year. The wife always gets a bit nervous before each one but has a great time as we get going. Our daughter was 4 when she did her first distance trip on the boat it was almost 90 miles round trip to mcclelanville to see the Dolphins that hang out there. She loved it. One of our goals this year is to go either from Myrtle Beach or Charleston all the way to Hilton Head best I can tell that run will be 5-6 hours from Charleston or 8-9 from Myrtle Beach each way.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@andy07sx230ho Here is the video from yesterday. This was a great trip 140 miles round trip on the water in one day. We had perfect weather and good company 2 boats 1 ski and 12 total people. Hopefully we talked one more into joining the Bimini trip. Make your you adjust the settings in you tube to play in 720p or 1080p. This was 90% filmed from a chest harness on a jet ski so I applogize in advanced it not all the best angles but you get the idea.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@robert843 great video. Our crew had a fantastic time and really enjoyed meeting you, your family, and friends.

Here are a few pictures that Cindy took. Tomorrow I will make a more detailed post of our trip.
DSCF1039[1].JPG DSCF1049[1].JPG DSCF1067[1].JPG DSCF1073[1].JPG DSCF1076[1].JPG

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@robert843, cool video. That looks like it was a blast. I love taking long trips on the boat, around here we have the Mississippi. We've been pretty far both North and South on it.
@andy07sx230ho, good to see you again even if it's not in person. I'd recognize the maroon 230 anywhere.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here are some details about our trip from Charleston, SC through the Cooper River, through the Pinopolis Locks, across Lake Moultrie, about 3/4 the way up the Diversion Canal, a stop at Canal Lakes Fish Camp, http://www.canallakesfishcamp.com/, for food at Mac Daddy's and fuel for the boats and return.

We left Remley's Point boat landing around 11 am. The ramp is very nice, 3 wide launch and recovery, located where the Wando and Cooper rivers join together just west of Hwy 17 bridge (Ravenel Bridge). The only downside to the Remley's is that the parking gets filled up very quickly. We arrived at the ramp at 10:30 am and the parking lot was full, we had to park on the road leading to the boat landing.

DSCF1016.JPG

@tim h if you end up making this trip it will be a tight fit at high tide for you to fit under the Strawberry Bridge rail crossing (CSX Trestle see map on first page). We where under the bridge around noon on Saturday and if you look at the left side of the first picture Chris has a 21' center console and he said his t-top is 9' off the water. The second picture has the phone numbers and hours of operation to call for the bridge to open.

Tide Chart for Strawberry Bridge area.jpg

DSCF1051.JPG

DSCF1052.JPG

At about 2ish we went through the Pinopolis Lock, which is always very a fun experience, our friends two boys loved it. No need for me to post more pictures of the lock, @robert843 video did a great job capturing the experience.

At about 3ish we arrived at Canal Lakes Fish Camp. Mac Daddy's was a nice place to get a good bite of food and fuel for the boat. I would image if you get there around lunch or dinner it would be very busy.

We made it back to the Pinopolis lock around 5 pm and back to the Remley's Point around 7 pm.

As @robert843 mentioned we did 140 miles in an 8 hour day with about 1.5 hour stop for lunch and fuel. If you assume 1/2 hour for each lock operation (1 up and 1 down) we average 25 MPH on the trip. Then you add in the time for a couple of no wake stretches (about a total of a 1 mile), slowing down to go under bridges, our cruising speed was well north of 25 MPH, I know we where consistently running at 35 MPH or better which with flat conditions was no problem.

Our initial plans for Sunday was to put the boat back in the water and check out Patriots Point, the Morris Island Lighthouse, and then hang out at the beach near the lighthouse. My step-daughter, son-in-law, and our grand daughter were planning on going to Sullivan's Island beach on Sunday so end up spend a couple of hours with them instead.

For those that have not done the trip before, I would think it might be nicer to leave from Lake Marion or the Diversion Canal go down to Charleston on one day, spend the night in Charleston, then the next day return to Lake Marion or Diversion Canal instead of from Charleston up and back in one day. Doing the trip in one day is quick with little time to check things out. The advantage in starting in Charleston is that you won't need a marina and will have your vehicle for transportation.

@robert843 Thanks for putting this together, our crew had a great time. Looking forward to see you guys on Lake Murray and of course in Bimini.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Dang! What a great trip. And great weather too. Great write-up @andy07sx230ho and video @robert843 sorry we missed this one.

I was workin in the yard and boat most of saturday and sunday thinkin of this trip and the great conditions you had! Glad it went well

Should this trip get repeated this year or if anyone is interested in planning another run I'm game...

Alec and I won our game in the A division and got spanked in the B division. He gave me his stick and we retired his number.....now onto the next awesome chapter in our lives.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dang! What a great trip. And great weather too. Great write-up @andy07sx230ho and video @robert843 sorry we missed this one.

I was workin in the yard and boat most of saturday and sunday thinkin of this trip and the great conditions you had! Glad it went well

Should this trip get repeated this year or if anyone is interested in planning another run I'm game...

Alec and I won our game in the A division and got spanked in the B division. He gave me his stick and we retired his number.....now onto the next awesome chapter in our lives.
Sorry you guys couldn't make this trip, next time for sure. You could not have asked for better weather conditions to make the trip, absolutely perfect.

Congrats on you A division win, 1 for 2 isn't bad.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the write-ups guys! While we were never in on this specific trip, it opened up the family dialogue and the wife is open to this kind of boating in the future. It may be a couple more years before we bring the whole family (our little one needs to get a little older) but I can get a hall pass if I want to join in on a similar trip later this summer. Plus my firend is also very interested to join in with his SeaRay...especially since I see everyone welcomes boats with more conventional drives. Thanks again. I am glad the weather worked out.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Congrats on the win.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the write-ups guys! While we were never in on this specific trip, it opened up the family dialogue and the wife is open to this kind of boating in the future. It may be a couple more years before we bring the whole family (our little one needs to get a little older) but I can get a hall pass if I want to join in on a similar trip later this summer. Plus my firend is also very interested to join in with his SeaRay...especially since I see everyone welcomes boats with more conventional drives. Thanks again. I am glad the weather worked out.
On my boat our friends brought their boys who are 7 and 4 (turns 5 on July 4th) and they had a blast.

As for other boat styles joining in, I know I'm in favor of anyone joining no matter what they drive, to me it is all about having fun and getting together.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just checking to see if there is any interest in a repeat of the Charleston run. I am considering August 7, 8 or 9. If not, we are likely to come explore Lake Murray instead.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just checking to see if there is any interest in a repeat of the Charleston run. I am considering August 7, 8 or 9. If not, we are likely to come explore Lake Murray instead.
Interested, lemme check on the weekend. We have college moving on the 15th

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm out for Aug 7-9th on both the Charleston run and Lake Murray. The only up coming weekend that works for me is Aug 21-23rd. After the Bimini trip it seems my weekends have been filled with non-boating activities, which really stinks.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yeah same here. We are too close to college move in for that date. maybe later in August or September would love to join up for this run

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be out on both we are at the lake house this weekend but I will be at the beach house next weekend as we have family in town. I could do later in August or Septmeber. I could probably make the same dates @andy07sx230ho said work.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would like to see this trip repeated as a foliage run. The notice for next weekend would be a challenge at best

Last edited:

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A fall weekend would be nice. As it turns out, we are going to lay low this weekend. The boat could probably use the rest! When a group starts to assemble around a date, I will be trying to make it work for us.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I could probably do the weekend of September 19th as long as I can be set up in Charleston somewhere by 6pm to watch the South Carolina Georgia game.