• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mission: Install Charplotter/Fishfinder/GPS for around $500

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to say I really like Navionics, not perfect but nothing is. Of course using a smart phone in any kind of serious weather would be tricky if not impossible, but for basic navigation and charting a route that app is really nice. I tested it a bit today while on the Mississipi between Alton and Grafton, running up and down a couple of times, the weather was beautiful albeit very windy. What I like most is the location of wing dams/rock dikes seems to be spot on.
upload_2016-11-20_0-13-1.png

--

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Leaning towards the echoMap 74dv, but wonderering if the echoMap 70s would be better because of touch screen. Thoughts?

Also working out the transducer. What are your thoughts about the Airman P79 vs the Garmin GT8HW-IH?

I have been thinking about the Garmin because of the auto routing option. Lots of skinny water here and it should make selecting a course to my destination a lot easier. One thing I wonder though is if adding a waypoint without a touch screen is easy or difficult. Would love to hear from those with experience.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On my handheld 78sc waypoints are easy to add. As far as new ones. I preload a bunch of marks to on the computer and then transfer over as well. You can scroll though the map and add marks or type in the coordinates. @robert843 also linked earlier how to make a route on navionics and send it and load it on to your Garmin.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski i believe if you do the double tap and hard close the app it stops tracking but if you just hit home and open another it stays tracking. I have it on my phone and make sure to close after a day on the water. You can leave it off and open the settings to see what has used location recently and mine shows it has not.
Nope. At least on my iPhone 6S the app "USA" (which is Navionics) tracks the location even when the app is OFF/closed/hard closed. It stays tracking... :eek: Fortunately, the iPhone shows a warning about it.

Not a deal breaker, but complete BS to me. Need to remember to change location settings to "never" in the app after each use.

--

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nope. At least on my iPhone 6S the app "USA" (which is Navionics) tracks the location even when the app is OFF/closed/hard closed. It stays tracking... :eek: Fortunately, the iPhone shows a warning about it.

Not a deal breaker, but complete BS to me. Need to remember to change location settings to "never" in the app after each use.

--
I have a iPhone 6s as well. I wonder if there is a difference in apps?

Here is what mine looks like and you can see it has not accessed.

IMG_1279.PNG IMG_1280.PNG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Summers420us, can you try out the plotter in store somewhere and see if it will autoroute where you want to boat?

I find that Navionics auto routing is pretty good on the ocean and in open parts of lakes but it will not route to some of the ramps and marinas that I use on lakes in Arkansas.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I ran into that issue too @Bruce if trying to navigate with a lot of turns through a river it would not route. I think it has data overload. Garmin units I believe need the g2 vision card to autoroute at least on my unit. See top part of page here.

IMG_1281.PNG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is an example of Navionics failing to auto route a frequently used route in deep water from a Corps of Engineers ramp.

IMG_1109.PNG

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is an example of Navionics failing to auto route a frequently used route in deep water from a Corps of Engineers ramp.

View attachment 48770
That's interesting I wonder why it wont route that. On the coast it works great even inland on rivers and stuff with lots of turn and bends.

gps.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a iPhone 6s as well. I wonder if there is a difference in apps?

Here is what mine looks like and you can see it has not accessed.

View attachment 48767 View attachment 48768
Hah! It must be. Mine is definitely doing it, I got a warning on my screen about it earlier today, way after it's been OFF for over 24 hours it was still accessing the location services, I had to switch it to never, hope that takes care of it. Don't like it doing it! It must be the app version I got.

upload_2016-11-22_17-23-5.png

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843, my guess is that it is an issue with Navionics data for the area. I should submit data for the area to see if it can be fixed.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843 @swatski @Bruce what is the difference with having USA and mine that says Boating? What version do you have Bruce
Do you have the Android or IOS (Apple) app?

The USA designation identifies which map area is purchased. USA is $10, USA and Canada is $15. You can buy apps for other parts of the world or add them inside your current app. I believe I purchased the Bahamas or a Caribbean pack to add to my USA app. Bimini is included in the USA app.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843, my guess is that it is an issue with Navionics data for the area. I should submit data for the area to see if it can be fixed.
Yes @Bruce, benefits of living in the boonies must have limits, too! LOL. You have it too good anyway!

--

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have apple. In the App Store I see all those choices you listed and the one that says marine and lakes. I have navionics plus purchased through app. As stated my GPS shuts off when hard closed. I have all the features.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder if you download the version I have and restore your purchase through the app. Because I use the USA & Canada maps on mine. I guess if it doesn't work just load the other app back on your phone. It doesn't run in the background. But I don't want to be responsible for someone losing money in some way shape or form.IMG_1282.PNG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe the Navionics Boating app is no longer available.

Here is a link to their privacy policy http://www.navionics.com/privacy-policy-mobile

They store the data in Europe which affords greater privacy protection than if it were stored in the US.

As for the app using GPS on an IOS product, press the home button twice, swipe to the side until you find the Navionics app then swipe it up which will close the app. I am almost certain that stops the app using location services. Otherwise the app continues to track your location while running in the background so it will be ready when you switch back.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have both on my originally one was for inland lakes and rivers the other was coastal use. Somehow since then they have merged and I can now use one for both. I did the same as @2nazt did and bought all upgrades.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe the Navionics Boating app is no longer available.

Here is a link to their privacy policy http://www.navionics.com/privacy-policy-mobile

They store the data in Europe which affords greater privacy protection than if it were stored in the US.

As for the app using GPS on an IOS product, press the home button twice, swipe to the side until you find the Navionics app then swipe it up which will close the app. I am almost certain that stops the app using location services. Otherwise the app continues to track your location while running in the background so it will be ready when you switch back.
I swear I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I believe the Navionics app does access location even when turned off / closed on the iPhone.

I am positive I had it closed, same way as I close all the apps I'm not using. The location settings were always. The app was not running as in was not open, but it was still accessing location data! I don't like it at all, I turned the location for that app to never, which should stop it.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Under Settings > Privacy > Location Services a purple arrow indicates current or recent usage of location services. A grey arrow indicates use in the last 24 hours.

When using Navionics USA I see a purple arrow while using the app and while it is in the background. It switches to grey about 30 seconds after swiping the app closed. I have seen another location usage icon less than a minute after closing Navionics. I have assumed that is part of the process closing out.