• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mission: Install Charplotter/Fishfinder/GPS for around $500

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, this is unpleasant.....

IMG_1118.PNG

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, this is unpleasant.....

View attachment 48775
This is the warning I got in my iphone, which I was talking about earlier! I did not take the pic of it, and don't know how to recreate the conditions, but the app is definitely doing something in the background AFTER it is supposedly off.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Navionics responded;

Bruce, Thank you for contacting us. The app will use your location services if it is running in the background. This is so that you can continue tracking even when you have to do something else on your device. To stop the GPS from running in the background for iOS/Apple devices: Double tap your "Home" button, then Swipe the Navionics app preview. For additional information, please see: http://tinyurl.com/j6drecx. Please, contact help@navionics.com referencing case # 278849 for additional assistance. Have a nice day!

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like using my phone, but having depth overlay on the gps map is not possible. I've had great luck with mx mariner for coastal charts on my android. It's a one time fee and works great! I'm looking at the Garmin with the contour mapping features. Im in shallow water a lot of the time.

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Mainah i run the navionics app on my phone as well. I went a step futher and got the wifi transom mount transducer for it. Works flawlessly and since its navionics it updates automatically. It even allows me to split screen the chart and depth graph. I use that as my back up. I run the dragonfly 7 pr0 with navionics as my main unit. I initially installed it on my centerconsole and decided to just get another mount/power cord/tranducer and move the display from boat to boat. This allows me to keep all my fishing waypoints and track plans etc in one spot.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You have my intrest peaked. Wifi transom
Mount transducer? Was not aware of such a thing. Can you post a link to the product?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. Interesting option. While a dedicated device will be best for some this is something that could work for others. No modern downscan imaging but better than nothing and you don't need another permanently mounted screen. I don't fish much and I am only going to need charts a couple times per year. That combined with this being a lot cheaper than a Simard go7 which is what I was planning on could make this a winner.

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
exactly. I used it when i bought the bought late in the season last year and wanted something more than the connext depth. Cheap quick option and it does what it says itll do

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I prefer dedicated setups with wires whenever possible. I'll already have a old "boat phone" (note 2) for offline satellite images gps and maybe Bluetooth music if I decide not to mount the radio on the driver's side.

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Shoooooweeeee

Ok, I finally made a decision.

Simrad GO5 XSE with Nav+ Mapping and Med/High/DownScan Transducer

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Simrad-GO5-XSE-with-Nav-Mapping-and-MedHighDownScan-Transducer-P4835.aspx

This got me a transducer I can shoot through the hull. It comes with Navionics +. I like the touch screen, and by using a template, I think I can get it to fit nicely in the dash.

Slightly over 5 bills, but looks to be a good unit. I will post install and results as I go.
@Summers420us did you ever get this installed?

Alan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed a Lowrance ELITE 5 HDI 83/200 455/800 WIT a year ago using the excellent and detailed instructions found on www.yamahajetboaters.com. The transponder was imbedded in epoxy inside the boat and it has worked perfectly at all speeds. Water temperature and fish finding are compromised but I also don't fish much so the compromise of through the hull installation wasn't a problem. It is installed in a 19 foot SX. The cable were easy to connect to power and to snake through the hidden areas of the boat. Remember to cut the hole in the fiberglass with the drill in reverse to avoid splintering.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Clean unobtrusive mounting locations for the display are limited on the newer 24 footers and I would guess the same for all of the models. I am planning on installing a Simrad go7xse at some point as it suits well to an in dash install.

My plan is to remove the dash hood and modify for enough height (about an inch is needed) for a new dash panel that will house the simrad display where the tachs are now new to the connext screen. The tachs will be in angled recesses in the top of the dash hood. To do this I plan to make a carbon fiber laminated dash panel to hold everything and rebuild what ever I have to cut on the dash hood to match the panel and meld into the remaing hood. A final carbon fiber laminate on all of it to make it look better than factory.

Just throwing that out there in case someone can make use of the idea. I plan to use my airless sprayer as the vacum pump and space bags for the outer bag so I don't need to buy too much equipment for my first carbon fiber project. Don't know when I will get to it but something I really want to do.
Were u able to get this done, i want to do the same thing. is there a thread on the install and pics?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Were u able to get this done, i want to do the same thing. is there a thread on the install and pics?
I never did this but somone found a different 7 inch brand/model that fit well. I am not remembering who.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never did this but somone found a different 7 inch brand/model that fit well. I am not remembering who.
I will be searching through the threads to find a great install, seen on the thread on the Garmin units now I'm torn between that and the Simard GO units. I'm also wondering about transducer mounting on the transom. I will be putting Lectrotab trim tabs, so its going to be tight on space.