• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mooring cover while boat is in water?

PPKap

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Some advice please. We’re putting the boat in a slip this season. I’m buying a new mooring cover. Does anyone have a technique for putting on the cover while the boat is in the water? It might be difficult to reach the ratchets.

Also, does anyone recommend a cover?

Thanks boaters

Ed

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sometimes it depends on what side of a dock finger you are on. Backing your boat into a slip will provide the best access to the ratchet strap. However docking forward it is possible to reach the ratchets, without stepping on the cover, both starboard stern on my boat, 20190309_070142.jpg if you park starboard side to the finger. I prefer backing into my slip, 0916161621.jpgold pic., it is easier to board from the swim platform and easy access to the ratchet. We only use our mooring cover for storage now, we had a bow and cockpit made from sunbrella that snaps on and does not matter how you dock. When putting any of our covers on, start forward and work your way aft.
20180608_162710.jpg

Last edited:

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with @zipper, backing in makes this much easier and work bow to stern. Also, you should do as much as you can on the non-dock side from inside the boat. Use the ratchet strap on the dock side and leave the other alone.

On another note, you should always back your boat in anyway, it’s much cooler being able to just step right onto the stern and board the boat. It also makes you look like a hero at the marina :)

MattyTee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Super easy even if you are tied up to the side of a dock. There is just enough slack in the cover before you ratchet it to pull it out from under you while you sit on the back platform. Then ratchet it up and walk off the side. I had mine in slip all last summer and almost never left it without the mooring cover on it.

Last edited:

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with everything said above especially @AboveTheBest second paragraph. SUPER easy if your lucky enough to have fingers on both sides of the boat !!IMG_0536.jpeg

PPKap

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Guys, thanks for the input. I’ll be keeping the boat in the water so definitely want to put the cover on after each use. Was kinda scratching my head about it. Thanks again, Ed

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm still on my first cover purchased with the boat over 3 years ago (Yamaha premium mooring / Black). I can't speak for the quality or features of any others BUT totally satisfied with my purchase. I have treated it twice with 303 fabric guard and other than some minor cracking on the white YAMAHA letters looks as good as new. I do have clean water supply and garden hose at the slip. About once per month will hose down and water just runs off. Very similar to Rain X on an auto windshield. Nothing penetrates , mainly just washing off bird poop !

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m on the end of a covered slip, I don’t even mess with the ratchets I just use the Velcro areas around the tower and it stays fine. The backs a little tricky if it gets wet and you want to stay dry.

ysidive

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wondering if anyone has trailered with the cover on the boat.... When I purchased my boat used the owner said never leave the cover on when trailering as it will get destroyed.... I wondered why this would happen as the cover seems to be very tight and secure.... I am planning a trip to Lake George NY from Georgia this summer and would like to leave the cover on the boat to protect it from Road grime... Anyone have any experience at trailering at 65-70 mile an hour for long distance?

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I always trailer with the cover on.

Some say to lay the poles down when trailering, but I always leave them up.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wondering if anyone has trailered with the cover on the boat.... When I purchased my boat used the owner said never leave the cover on when trailering as it will get destroyed.... I wondered why this would happen as the cover seems to be very tight and secure.... I am planning a trip to Lake George NY from Georgia this summer and would like to leave the cover on the boat to protect it from Road grime... Anyone have any experience at trailering at 65-70 mile an hour for long distance?
I never trailer my 190 without the cover.

Remove the anti-pooling poles before trailering. I leave the straps in, but the poles removed. Probably have 4k miles on the cover from last year alone. Still looks good as new as far as I can tell.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I always trailer covered. Although my distance is only 15 miles 55mph max. I have towed with both of my covers, factory cover and snap on bow/cockpit covers with poles up. The bow and cockpit covers are Sunbrella fabric and much tighter fit. It does not flap. Some guys here tow with an inflated tube in the bow under the cover.
But this is a mooring cover on the water thread.

PPKap

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I tow with the factory shipping cover. Did the previous owner not have it?
I have a two piece morning cover, one for the bow, the other for the wind shield to stern. They were dealer installed and cost $1,000 so I’d rather use the factory cover until it falls apart. I towed from VA Beach to New Hampshire with no problems.

ysidive

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow with the factory shipping cover. Did the previous owner not have it?
I have a two piece morning cover, one for the bow, the other for the wind shield to stern. They were dealer installed and cost $1,000 so I’d rather use the factory cover until it falls apart. I towed from VA Beach to New Hampshire with no problems.
Previous owner did not have the shipping cover.... I did get the premium cover with the strap and ratchet buckles.... When tight and on the boat it appears that it would be very tight while trailering...... I do not lhave any poles to go with the cover, but it seems pretty tight without any additional support.......The cover that I have is the MAR-240TR-BK-15....I do not believe that Yamaha evenhas poles for this cover....

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You NEED the poles while mooring. You HAVE to remove the poles while towering.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You NEED the poles while mooring. You HAVE to remove the poles while towering.
Pretty sure he meant towing. Rain will pool on top of the cover without the poles while mooring or on the trailer.

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My recommendation is to tow with the cover. I bought my boat in Indiana, it was nice and clean. I towed it home to Michigan without the cover on, then I spent the next two days scrubbing bugs off the inside of the boat. Not fun.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pretty sure he meant towing. Rain will pool on top of the cover without the poles while mooring or on the trailer.
It will also pool in the bow when towing in the rain without the poles. Higher the speed the worse this gets as the passing air depresses the cover in the bow.

A "breached" shipping cover leaks VERY badly. Once that white plastic exterior has a crack in it, the cover no longer holds water out. The black premium deluxe ultimate super snazzy is more water tight overall, but will still drip once soaked with water standing on it.

Pooling poles keep the water from standing/ponding and the cover stays plenty dry. My boat survived this for a day or so during vacation this year. Carpet was still dry when I pulled the cover back the next morning.
MVIMG_20190620_181425.jpg

Drove through torrential rain on the ride home for about 2hrs or so at 65-70mph. Bow carpet was damp, but cockpit was dry. Water was ponding in the bow area when we stopped for fuel. I won't run the poles when trailering. I tried it a time or two, and the cover showed clear signs of being stretched and deformed. No poles keeps the bugs, dirt, and debris out, and the carpet and cushions in.

Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary, no warranties :D :D

Shta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unfortunately I don’t have fingers on either side But I am able to put full cover on (with a little sweat). I had the cover on, tightened the ratchet enough to keep from blowing off, then took off boat and put in the slip. When closing up I put on from front to back and over the swim platform on one side then the other side was the tough part. After pulling for a bit, got it to go over the edge and all was good.

Attachments