• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha mooring cover when in a slip?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a snap cover right now looking at getting the Yamaha 1 piece. Question if the 1 piece has ratchets on both sides how to you ratchet the side away from the dock? Also with the snap cover if I forget something in the boat its easy to unsnap and climb in...Is this difficult with the 1 piece ?? Just curious on any input from anyone with experience . Any other thoughts or input would be appreciated.
I just leave the one side set, and only ratchet down the side that faces the finger of your slip. Getting back in once the cover on isn't terrible. Just under one corner and crawl underneath.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a snap cover right now looking at getting the Yamaha 1 piece. Question if the 1 piece has ratchets on both sides how to you ratchet the side away from the dock? Also with the snap cover if I forget something in the boat its easy to unsnap and climb in...Is this difficult with the 1 piece ?? Just curious on any input from anyone with experience . Any other thoughts or input would be appreciated.
I have and have used both. In the slip, I've moved to using just the two piece snap covers because it's difficult to get the buckles through the eyes below the swim platform. As far as the ratchet, you simply leave the far side ratcheted and unbuckle the strap aft of it when taking the cover off. You then only need to tension the strap on the near side when you get off the boat.

The snap covers are quite easy to unsnap and sneak back in, as I typically forget at least one thing every time I pack up! The mooring cover is much more tedious to get back into if you forget something, IMHO.

Mark

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine had a single ratchet at the stern right by the swim ladder. I replaced it with a heavy duty buckle/clip and it holds fine. If I open the clip and lift a stern corner, I can get back in to the boat fairly easily.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rookie question as well-for those that keep your boats in the water (not on a lift) do you have automatic bilge pumps?

My boat sits in the water so I added a float activated bilge pump that is directly wired to the battery. I think I installed a 700gph pump. On my boat you have to remember to turn on the OEM pump switch or the bilge pump won't run. I forget to turn the pump on sometimes.

Tms1224

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks guys the right side ratchet was my main concern thanks for working that out for me! Just made the purchase. I think what it comes down to is I need it anyway it will do a better job keeping elements out and sun off the rear sea deck when boat is in my driveway and def better for towing. I seem to always have to go back in the boat for one thing or the other hopefully it works out if not I have the snaps for when staying on the lake.

For towing should I have the anti pool polls up or not?

Thank you! Bring on the 2019 season!!

MattyTee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The ratchets are together at the swim platform right above the ladder. We use the full mooring cover all the time. I can do it myself in about 5 min and unlike a snap cover it goes over the whole gunwale.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good thread! I was notified recently my name came up on the wet slip list! Bought a premium mooring cover and will plan to cover after every use. 10 minutes to remove is well worth not having to clean up all the shit, bugs, spiders, etc..... I'm pretty sure my dock has electricity, but my 242 has solar so I'm not so worried about the batteries.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good thread! I was notified recently my name came up on the wet slip list! Bought a premium mooring cover and will plan to cover after every use. 10 minutes to remove is well worth not having to clean up all the shit, bugs, spiders, etc..... I'm pretty sure my dock has electricity, but my 242 has solar so I'm not so worried about the batteries.
Congrats! So much better than trailering!

IA_210SX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I too was notified last week that I too have a wet slip for the summer. Can the stock bilge pump work with a float switch? Or would it be better to replace it with an automatic one? I am sure it is out on this forum, but is it easy to replace or hard wire to the battery?

I'd do the hoist option but we are a little gun shy on the cost ($5000) from the marina.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your stock pump is an automatic, I would switch it out for a standard pump and a float switch. Same brand pumps are sometimes plug-and-play with the old mount/screen and the wiring for a float switch is easy. I used these two which upgraded me to a higher GPH pump, and the electronic switch wont get hung up by debris or anything. Your dash switch will still work so you can turn the pump on manually if you want to but it won't continually cycle and drain the battery while the boat is on the water.

Amazon.com: Johnson Pump of America 36303 Marine 20 Amp Ultima Auto Bilge Control Switch: Automotive

Amazon.com : Rule 20R 800 GPH Submersible Bilge Pump, Round, 12 Volt : Boating Bilge Pumps : Sports & Outdoors

IA_210SX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, I never considered the auto bilge control. Just remember the float switch from my dad's IO over 25 years ago.

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m in a wet slip all season, if I’m not using the boat it is covered. It really doesn't take that long to cover and uncover. There's a bunch of reasons to cover it and not many positives to leave it uncovered.

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Kinda basic question about the mooring cover... We have a 2019 212x. I got a transient slip for a week over the summer and left the back of the cover (swim platform) unattached. I did this because it seemed like the back part of the cover would be in the water if I fully attached the cover.

I’m looking at getting a wet slip next season. For those that use the mooring cover, do you fully attach it? Is it a problem that the swim platform portion of the cover is in the water?

IA_210SX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Don’t know how much the back of the the 21 footers have changed over the years but I have a similar cover and as long as the metal transom strap loops aren’t submerged it should be ok. Had my boat wet slipped for half the summer until we got a floating lift. It was easier to put the cover on in the water, but with the lift there’s no scum or worry about Zebra Mussels.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I attach mine. The only part that really is in the water is the straps that go into the tie down loops. If you're worried, try to leave it with less fuel so it doesn't sit so low in the water.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I attach mine. The only part that really is in the water is the straps that go into the tie down loops. If you're worried, try to leave it with less fuel so it doesn't sit so low in the water.
Same on my 242. I attack the straps and they’re the only part in the water.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One nice thing about that cover on is the ducks/geese don't sit on the boat and crap all over the transom. I love those Ski Nautiques in the Marina with really nice teak transoms...all covered in crap!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I used to not cover it at the marina over the weekend until a flying cow bird decided the boat looked like a great place to take a dump on...the most harmful attack on the vinyl seats you could imagine. Took me quite a while to clean it, so now I only leave uncovered if I feel very lucky. I have a semi-custom cover that's coming apart, but it helps keep the dust and bird crap off the boat.
YEAH!!! I came back to my boat a few weeks ago, and I think a Blue Heron or some such large bird decided to stand on the edge of my tower and crap on the cover. Boy I am glad it was covered....those birds shit some large runny white/yellow crap!!!!

Question if the 1 piece has ratchets on both sides how to you ratchet the side away from the dock? Also with the snap cover if I forget something in the boat its easy to unsnap and climb in...Is this difficult with the 1 piece ??
I leave the far side ratchet alone. I undo the dock side, and that makes it loose enough for me to remove the cover.
When I forget something in the boat, I release the ratchet, undo the stern eye tie down clip and pull up the cover off the stern....then I send a kid in to get what ever was left behind (thats what they are for....right?)