• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mountain bike riders?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I used a trailer for the first 2 years. We just upgraded to the Mac ride. She's 2 and a half and we've just used it around the neighborhood a bit. She also just got NBD. Upgraded her Strider to this awesome Giant balance bike.

PXL_20220111_231748097.jpg

Video of it on action

Giant bike

PXL_20220116_010959136.jpg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We shuttled some runs on saturday. There are a lot of obstacles like jumps, gaps, horses, and ppl on motorcycles. In brazil its common to see horses alone on the trails. I passed a few at uncomfortable speeds. Another guy crashed into a dirt bike that was climbing the tight single track.

IMG_4782.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@I_squared_r What does "shuttled" mean? I'm guessing you caught a shuttle of some flavor to the top, then just rode down the hill?

We have a couple trails locally that have horses allowed. Seeing them out there isn't too uncommon for us, but without a rider would definitely be cause for alarm.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@I_squared_r What does "shuttled" mean? I'm guessing you caught a shuttle of some flavor to the top, then just rode down the hill?

We have a couple trails locally that have horses allowed. Seeing them out there isn't too uncommon for us, but without a rider would definitely be cause for alarm.
We have a group of riders and 1 person drives the truck to the bottom to meet the group. Then another person will drive the next time.

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We shuttled some runs on saturday. There are a lot of obstacles like jumps, gaps, horses, and ppl on motorcycles. In brazil its common to see horses alone on the trails. I passed a few at uncomfortable speeds. Another guy crashed into a dirt bike that was climbing the tight single track.

View attachment 169775
Where about's in Rio do you ride?

I travel several times a year for work to Rio, any shops you would recommend for bike rentals guides etc? I generally stay on Barra Beach.
Thanks in advance.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Where about's in Rio do you ride?

I travel several times a year for work to Rio, any shops you would recommend for bike rentals guides etc? I generally stay on Barra Beach.
Thanks in advance.
Bom dia! I am in Macae, RJ about 2 hours north of Rio. There is riding here in Macae: Serra de Macae and Mirante do Paiol. A little south of here is a DH trail in Rio das Ostras. Then north of rio is the beautiful mountains of Petropolis that a lot of Cariocas travel to on the weekend. You can google Montanha Azul, Vale das Vidieras, and Sanadu Park. South of Rio is Paraty (I haven't been there yet) Inside Rio there is a DH trail in Parque Nacional da Tijuca, but my gf says it's too close to the favela. But if you want the best mtb experience then you need to go to Belo Horizonte.

As for rentals, I can't help you. But if you ever go near Macae, we have a bike shop and cafe here that we can help you with anything else. What do you do for work? Im going to guess oil

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Appreciate the info...thanks.

Correct guess for work oil/gas.
A lot of people here work for oil/gas. Especially in Macae. I'm almost positive that i'm the only american not working for oil/gas lol

edit: its not difficult to bring your bike here. I travel with a Evoc bike bag and I move some parts to another luggage to avoid over weight fees. A good multi-tool is plenty enough to assemble when you arrive here.

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've got a trip to Rio planned in early April, pending Covid and work travel restrictions. I've already starting researching the locations above.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've got a trip to Rio planned in early April, pending Covid and work travel restrictions. I've already starting researching the locations above.
I'll help with your research.. These are the closest places to Rio:

In Vale das Vidieras is a small town with a lot of trailheads there. Look for "Renato Estrella Bicicletas" and "Galpão Caipira Vale das Videiras". Look on google maps at the location and there's a lot of trails there with good views. Look out for "cachoeira" translates to waterfall.. Brazil has a TON of beautiful waterfalls.

Montanha Azul isn't too far away. That is a downhill trail and you have to earn your downhills. It's all in the sun so plan accordingly.. I tried going during the summer and it was HOT. The owner loves bikes and will show you the park. He is a very good rider.

And when traveling in Brazil.. Plan your stops for gas and don't just go to any gas station.
Lmk if you have any questions

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
PXL_20220115_212716205.MP.jpg

It's my favorite holiday again! New bike day! Drove from ATL to Clemson SC for this Liv. Can't wait to shred with my beautiful wife.

At the same time, bitter sweet. Traded in my older bike.

PXL_20220115_205219036.jpg

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Traded in an older bike????
Can't say I've ever experienced that feeling. Can't be good. I'll just keep adding wall hangers in the garage. ;)

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I rode with a guy here that has a pivot firebird 29. The trail is a dense forest with a steep grade. He told me that there used to be large monkeys and daily, about 3pm, they would make a ton of noise together. I wish that I could've experienced that.. Anyways, we arrived at the trailhead and carried our bikes vertically 700ft to the top and then rode down (2x). The trail had a lot of rock gardens, drops made of wood, and streams to cross. Very fun. We finished with beers at the local beer stand.

I am impressed by the pivot firebird. The newer enduros have 29" wheels, larger head tubes, and forks (fox 38). I really think that I could benefit with an upgrade because i'm the type of rider that throws caution to the wind and goes full speed into gnarly rock gardens. TBH, im not too sure how much longer my cannondale jekyll can survive this - I know someone who worn out the headtube by riding bike park.

So I narrowed my selection to either: Pivot Firebird, Santa Cruz Megatower, or Specialized Enduro. Going to do a X01, shimano xt brake, industry 9 wheel, fox dhx2 coil build. Anyone experience those bikes?

IMG_4811.jpg

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Firebird is awesome. DW link is legit man! Look at Ibis Ripmo as well, same DW suspension. I have the AF, and the carbon one is also fantastic

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Firebird is awesome. DW link is legit man! Look at Ibis Ripmo as well, same DW suspension. I have the AF, and the carbon one is also fantastic
I bet the DW link on the firebird is less maintenance than the santa cruz VPP and the specialized linkage. On my sc tallboy the VPP needed to be cleaned often bc dirt would find its way into the axle. But that specialized linkage is interesting looking.. it looks like the dh demo bike and the pivot is forward of the crank. The downside is that the specialized doesnt come with a coil and i'd have to build it to get what I want.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bet the DW link on the firebird is less maintenance than the santa cruz VPP and the specialized linkage. On my sc tallboy the VPP needed to be cleaned often bc dirt would find its way into the axle. But that specialized linkage is interesting looking.. it looks like the dh demo bike and the pivot is forward of the crank. The downside is that the specialized doesnt come with a coil and i'd have to build it to get what I want.
I’ve had a DW downhill bike and several Specialized Horst link bikes and I’ve never had any sort of linkage or bearing problems.