• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mountain bike riders?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok pics first this time then in depth write up below of same model base vs. top end.

New bike is 2022 Specialized StumpJumper Sworks
FD21BFEB-B9BA-4FFB-9BE4-9CD99C50605C.jpegA8136E9A-8AFB-4212-A093-C245EE96D79D.jpegNext a comparison of my Stumpy to the 2022 Carbon S3 (Medium) vs 2021 alloy S4 (Large with swept back SQ labs handle bar)
8AF1B31B-2A9B-443C-9FEE-BEE14B2640F5.jpeg

How I choose the new ride

Thanks again to all those who replied back in December. I did have to spend big to get something that rode the way I wanted. I compared XC, trail, and all mountain bikes. For the riding I do and my preferences trail was the sweet spot given the right frame size/geometry. For me it came down a medium Yeti SB130, a S3 (Medium) Stumpjumper, and a M/L TreK Fuel EX (all near or at top spec and similarly outfitted). The Stumpjumper Sworks (expert or pro outfitted would have done the job too) won for me by a small margin and to top it off I found one second hand in like new condition for a significant savings. Luck smiled upon me with this find having the original receipt made out to the seller from a LBS with matching serial number and all the stickers intended to be removed were still on the bike. XC and all mountain may make it into my quiver someday but for now I needed something that suits the majority of my riding the best.

2021 Stumpjumper alloy vs. 2022 Stumpjumper Sworks

I don’t recall reading a review where a base spec and top spec of the “same” bike have been compared well at all. To be fair opposite ends of the price spectrum and there are a lot of choices between. First the 8lb weight difference (27 lbs vs 35 lbs) translates to very different rider input needed to handle and significantly different feeling ride. Suspension feels much more like what I wanted and what one gets with top end shocks and forks. Vibration damping difference of the entire system is noticeable. AXS with the rocker paddle is a dream (GX mechanical and above is also very nice). Going with the medium size vs. the large fits much better for me and I can better place the line I want (I think weight has a bit to do with that as well). I tried swept back carbon handle bars on my alloy S4 and a shorter stem. Even with that the difference between medium and large is significant for me anyway. For me at 5’10’ most charts show I could choose either. Medium just feels much better for my liking in a trail bike with 29” wheels where 56CM feels much better in a road bike. Swat in frame water bladder and tool storage is awesome given I dislike wearing a backpack while riding. The AXS dropper is nice as I can control partial drops easier by bumping the button. Bottom line is the base model large alloy feels like a tractor compared to my lively new medium Sworks.

For those not wanting to dump a ton of $$$ on a bike the base model Stumpjumper alloy is not bad given you can buy 4 of those for what one Sworks costs. The base model is capable. I am just a former skinny tire road racer and TT guy that was spoiled by feathery top class carbon everything road and TT bikes with top end shifting groups. When I decided to try mountain biking I bought a base model to try it out and it is fun. The base model just left too much to be desired given my high expectations for my regular trail bike. Each step up from base will net something better with diminishing returns for given amount of money spent the higher you go. That said I know a guy who still rides a late 90s MTB with no suspension on singletracks and loves it. To each their own.

Finding the right bike for you

For those that have not done mountain biking you will likely make your fair share of mistakes trying to tackle technical terrain for the first time. I certainly did trying to tackle a rocky switchback diamond my first ever MTB ride (I was also using clipless pedals). It was humbling experience that left me just a bit bruised and bloody. I am glad I had an alloy base model to make the rookie mistakes and it is missing a tiny bit of paint from those first rides. For those staying on the more mellow trails an XC bike may just be for you. Being over-biked leads to less fun on the trail IMO. Being under-biked can be hazardous so know your limits. Getting the right fit is extremely important as well. Spending the time to find what is right for you pays dividends.
What is your next n+1 formula?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok pics first this time then in depth write up below of same model base vs. top end.

New bike is 2022 Specialized StumpJumper Sworks
View attachment 186047View attachment 186048Next a comparison of my Stumpy to the 2022 Carbon S3 (Medium) vs 2021 alloy S4 (Large with swept back SQ labs handle bar)
View attachment 186049

How I choose the new ride

Thanks again to all those who replied back in December. I did have to spend big to get something that rode the way I wanted. I compared XC, trail, and all mountain bikes. For the riding I do and my preferences trail was the sweet spot given the right frame size/geometry. For me it came down a medium Yeti SB130, a S3 (Medium) Stumpjumper, and a M/L TreK Fuel EX (all near or at top spec and similarly outfitted). The Stumpjumper Sworks (expert or pro outfitted would have done the job too) won for me by a small margin and to top it off I found one second hand in like new condition for a significant savings. Luck smiled upon me with this find having the original receipt made out to the seller from a LBS with matching serial number and all the stickers intended to be removed were still on the bike. XC and all mountain may make it into my quiver someday but for now I needed something that suits the majority of my riding the best.

2021 Stumpjumper alloy vs. 2022 Stumpjumper Sworks

I don’t recall reading a review where a base spec and top spec of the “same” bike have been compared well at all. To be fair opposite ends of the price spectrum and there are a lot of choices between. First the 8lb weight difference (27 lbs vs 35 lbs) translates to very different rider input needed to handle and significantly different feeling ride. Suspension feels much more like what I wanted and what one gets with top end shocks and forks. Vibration damping difference of the entire system is noticeable. AXS with the rocker paddle is a dream (GX mechanical and above is also very nice). Going with the medium size vs. the large fits much better for me and I can better place the line I want (I think weight has a bit to do with that as well). I tried swept back carbon handle bars on my alloy S4 and a shorter stem. Even with that the difference between medium and large is significant for me anyway. For me at 5’10’ most charts show I could choose either. Medium just feels much better for my liking in a trail bike with 29” wheels where 56CM feels much better in a road bike. Swat in frame water bladder and tool storage is awesome given I dislike wearing a backpack while riding. The AXS dropper is nice as I can control partial drops easier by bumping the button. Bottom line is the base model large alloy feels like a tractor compared to my lively new medium Sworks.

For those not wanting to dump a ton of $$$ on a bike the base model Stumpjumper alloy is not bad given you can buy 4 of those for what one Sworks costs. The base model is capable. I am just a former skinny tire road racer and TT guy that was spoiled by feathery top class carbon everything road and TT bikes with top end shifting groups. When I decided to try mountain biking I bought a base model to try it out and it is fun. The base model just left too much to be desired given my high expectations for my regular trail bike. Each step up from base will net something better with diminishing returns for given amount of money spent the higher you go. That said I know a guy who still rides a late 90s MTB with no suspension on singletracks and loves it. To each their own.

Finding the right bike for you

For those that have not done mountain biking you will likely make your fair share of mistakes trying to tackle technical terrain for the first time. I certainly did trying to tackle a rocky switchback diamond my first ever MTB ride (I was also using clipless pedals). It was humbling experience that left me just a bit bruised and bloody. I am glad I had an alloy base model to make the rookie mistakes and it is missing a tiny bit of paint from those first rides. For those staying on the more mellow trails an XC bike may just be for you. Being over-biked leads to less fun on the trail IMO. Being under-biked can be hazardous so know your limits. Getting the right fit is extremely important as well. Spending the time to find what is right for you pays dividends.
Very nice bike. Love it. I went out with my beasties today and had a blast.

PXL_20220819_221431407.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very nice bike. Love it. I went out with my beasties today and had a blast.

View attachment 186053
Those are the best days! Just dropped my youngest off at college last weekend. The reality of that for me at 45 yo has been tougher than I was prepared for. I did plenty with mine but now does not seem like enough. On the plus side I will be able to do these kinds of things with my grandkids (hopefully someday).

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Those are the best days! Just dropped my youngest off at college last weekend. The reality of that for me at 45 yo has been tougher than I was prepared for. I did plenty with mine but now does not seem like enough. On the plus side I will be able to do these kinds of things with my grandkids (hopefully someday).
Oh wow. I can't even imagine that yet.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh wow. I can't even imagine that yet.
Same here. At 42 next month and I still have a 4yr old at home. Can't imagine one in college yet!

In other thoughts, took G out for his first time off road today. He did great. Lots of stopping to walk and while he's exceptionally well conditioned his legs aren't up to the hills just yet. Overall a dang successful first outing!! I'm super proud of my little dude!

PXL_20220903_192040746.jpg

I on the other hand, was a basket case of a rider. Left my shoes at home, wasn't gonna burn the opportunity so I did 4.5miles in flip flops. It wasn't great. Slipped off the pedals once and bashed my shin pretty good. My neck injury is still sensitive, so it hurts pretty good now. Oh well, only live once right!

Also, the 1Up racks look good filled up with bikes!
PXL_20220903_201420364.jpg

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
After work ride while my son was riding with his MTB team.

20220915_171953.jpg

20220915_172842.jpg
Lots of rocks/roots to navigate on these trails. Are uphill boulder fields really necessary!?! 😭

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This Spring I liberated my youngest child of his training wheels unlocking a new "dad level achievement". The little Lightning McQueen bike is the tool that got all 3 of my boys riding. It's nice they're all boys, it makes the bike upgrading/swapping easier. It was a little screwy this time, because I bought my 8 year old middle child a new 20" mountain bike for his birthday in June he wasn't quite ready for his bothers 24" and the oldest wasn't quite ready to give it up. Likely next year. The youngest however, has already leveled up to his brother's 16" BMX bike, now on it's 3rd boy. I try to buy nice enough bikes, they don't mind the hand-me-downs.
20220601_205134-01.jpeg
20" mountain bikes are a tough market when you're looking for a hardtail. After a while researching and shopping, I ended up buying a Polygon Premier. It checked all the boxes with 7 speeds, front suspension, just 22lbs, and red (bonus!). He's been loving it!
20220531_185259_1.gif

All the change brought new vigor to our ridding habits. We've spent a lot of time on our bikes this year. We've mostly been tearing up the lawn, but we've taking them along with on multiple campouts this summer as well.

Now it's time for my confession: The last mountain bike I bought myself was when I was a senior in high school 21 years ago... Folks, the old Schwim Moab was a gem, but she was TIRED! I rode that bike hard thru its younger years, but gradually saw less and less trail time. It's been a few years now since I've been on any trail, my crew has either quit the game or lost touch.

Anyway, it was time. I spent quite a while trying to get caught up with all that's changed. A LOT has changed... I determined I wanted a full suspension, because duh! Although, I'm a lover of the downhill, I decided I was looking for a less aggressive trail bike, I like to mess around with trials like stunts. As you all are probably aware, you're not going to find many worthy full suspension 29ers for any less than $2k. I narrowed it down to a Fezzari Abajo (the Fezzari headquarters are local here), the Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy, Trek Fuel EX 5, and the Polygon Siskiu D7.

It probably took me 3 weeks to make up my mind. They're all pretty similarly spec'd bikes. In the end, my good experience with ordering my son's Polygon and the apparent value of how well the Siskiu was equipped for the price, along with the amount of riding I do (or don't do), I couldn't justify spending more for any of the others. I purchased in July and have really been enjoying it!
20220820_174030-01.jpeg

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That Polygon Premier 20 is a steal of a deal at $279! Looks like it's being enjoyed, too!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This Spring I liberated my youngest child of his training wheels unlocking a new "dad level achievement". The little Lightning McQueen bike is the tool that got all 3 of my boys riding. It's nice they're all boys, it makes the bike upgrading/swapping easier. It was a little screwy this time, because I bought my 8 year old middle child a new 20" mountain bike for his birthday in June he wasn't quite ready for his bothers 24" and the oldest wasn't quite ready to give it up. Likely next year. The youngest however, has already leveled up to his brother's 16" BMX bike, now on it's 3rd boy. I try to buy nice enough bikes, they don't mind the hand-me-downs.
View attachment 188995
20" mountain bikes are a tough market when you're looking for a hardtail. After a while researching and shopping, I ended up buying a Polygon Premier. It checked all the boxes with 7 speeds, front suspension, just 22lbs, and red (bonus!). He's been loving it!
View attachment 188994

All the change brought new vigor to our ridding habits. We've spent a lot of time on our bikes this year. We've mostly been tearing up the lawn, but we've taking them along with on multiple campouts this summer as well.

Now it's time for my confession: The last mountain bike I bought myself was when I was a senior in high school 21 years ago... Folks, the old Schwim Moab was a gem, but she was TIRED! I rode that bike hard thru its younger years, but gradually saw less and less trail time. It's been a few years now since I've been on any trail, my crew has either quit the game or lost touch.

Anyway, it was time. I spent quite a while trying to get caught up with all that's changed. A LOT has changed... I determined I wanted a full suspension, because duh! Although, I'm a lover of the downhill, I decided I was looking for a less aggressive trail bike, I like to mess around with trials like stunts. As you all are probably aware, you're not going to find many worthy full suspension 29ers for any less than $2k. I narrowed it down to a Fezzari Abajo (the Fezzari headquarters are local here), the Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy, Trek Fuel EX 5, and the Polygon Siskiu D7.

It probably took me 3 weeks to make up my mind. They're all pretty similarly spec'd bikes. In the end, my good experience with ordering my son's Polygon and the apparent value of how well the Siskiu was equipped for the price, along with the amount of riding I do (or don't do), I couldn't justify spending more for any of the others. I purchased in July and have really been enjoying it!
View attachment 188992
Congrats on n+1! Great write up. Your new ride is a great value IMO. Youngest graduating from training wheels is certainly a milestone. Time flies as I pointed out a few posts ago so enjoy every minute you can, which it already seems like you are.

You may want to consider a frame bag for your new ride to get full use of the dropper and not have the tire shred the seat bag when the rear suspension articulates. Something like this may work….
ROCKBROS Bike Frame Bag Triangle... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FDTJ8T8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

You may also want to check out the oneup edc v2 tool. Note they now have a threadless carrier if you want to avoid that step.

Enjoy that new full squish!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on n+1! Great write up. Your new ride is a great value IMO. Youngest graduating from training wheels is certainly a milestone. Time flies as I pointed out a few posts ago so enjoy every minute you can, which it already seems like you are.

You may want to consider a frame bag for your new ride to get full use of the dropper and not have the tire shred the seat bag when the rear suspension articulates. Something like this may work….
ROCKBROS Bike Frame Bag Triangle... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FDTJ8T8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

You may also want to check out the oneup edc v2 tool. Note they now have a threadless carrier if you want to avoid that step.

Enjoy that new full squish!
Thanks! I really do like the Siskiu. It's the nicest mountain bike I've ever owned. The bike I wished I'd had 21 years ago. I took the Alloy for a test ride and saw the Fezzari and Trek in person. They're were incredible riding/looking bikes. I also wouldn't mind supporting my local bike shop, but I kept $500-$800 in my pocket and my wife agreed to stick things out with me a while longer.

I didn't think that seat bag entirely thru... I like the frame bag idea and the multi tool is damn cool. Thanks again!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
5.8k for a torx bolt?
Well, pasted the wrong link it appears. Guess it's not my day to win the internet. Is this how old people feel all the time?

Was supposed to be a review on a new Yamaha E-MTB. I can't find the link now.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, pasted the wrong link it appears. Guess it's not my day to win the internet. Is this how old people feel all the time?

Was supposed to be a review on a new Yamaha E-MTB. I can't find the link now.
At least the link you posted had some entertaining stuff down the page.

Those loaders hauling molten junk out of a steel mill took me down a rabbit hole for a few.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I saw a yammie e bike on the trail recently. Good components and it was good looking. I don't know how well or not it rides

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

charlivenum

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I believe the best one near me is Windrock. I plan to one day go. But with work, 3 kids (one is a new born), it is hard to find time

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I believe the best one near me is Windrock. I plan to one day go. But with work, 3 kids (one is a new born), it is hard to find time
No joke, Windrock is in my bucket list but life is too busy. Where are you located.