• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mountain bike riders?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a bad crash this past Saturday and surgery Thursday. Figured I would share as this could happen to anybody. Not saying don’t ride but more so know that this is possible.

Even with wet conditions, overcast sky, and 1.5 hours before sunset I wanted to get at least a 1 hour ride in. Setting off alone on a long blue single track route I ride frequently all was well. I had good grip except for spotty wet leave build up and as I pushed it a bit on the bumps and turns.

2 miles in i was actively pedaling on a downhill going about ~20mph. BANG! , with no warning the front tire found a leaf obscured hole violently ejecting me. I landed on my shoulder, dazed and seeing white from pain as I layed facedown on the ground. As I struggled my way to a seated position I could feel bones crunching around in my shoulder area. Felt around with my hand and discovered part of my collar bone pushing up against the skin. Called my wife from my watch and she coordinated park ranger help getting to me.

End result is a fully displaced multiple fracture of my clavicle, bruised shoulder, strained ankle, strained upper back muscles, and minor scrapes. Clavicle now bolted back together with a plate and screws. Looking forward to recovering and getting back out there using a bit more caution.

Basically no damage to my carbon bike or carbon wheelset.

Ride safe!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a bad crash this past Saturday and surgery Thursday. Figured I would share as this could happen to anybody. Not saying don’t ride but more so know that this is possible.

Even with wet conditions, overcast sky, and 1.5 hours before sunset I wanted to get at least a 1 hour ride in. Setting off alone on a long blue single track route I ride frequently all was well. I had good grip except for spotty wet leave build up and as I pushed it a bit on the bumps and turns.

2 miles in i was actively pedaling on a downhill going about ~20mph. BANG! , with no warning the front tire found a leaf obscured hole violently ejecting me. I landed on my shoulder, dazed and seeing white from pain as I layed facedown on the ground. As I struggled my way to a seated position I could feel bones crunching around in my shoulder area. Felt around with my hand and discovered part of my collar bone pushing up against the skin. Called my wife from my watch and she coordinated park ranger help getting to me.

End result is a fully displaced multiple fracture of my clavicle, bruised shoulder, strained ankle, strained upper back muscles, and minor scrapes. Clavicle now bolted back together with a plate and screws. Looking forward to recovering and getting back out there using a bit more caution.

Ride safe!
Sorry to hear that and best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Collar bone has always worried me, I know several riders that have broken them.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Ride safe!
Sorry about your clavicle. I snapped mine in half 10 years ago in a motorcycle accident and didn't need surgery. It healed quickly and in 1 month I returned to work as a auto mechanic. But I also was 21 years old so it healed very quickly.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry about your clavicle. I snapped mine in half 10 years ago in a motorcycle accident and didn't need surgery. It healed quickly and in 1 month I returned to work as a auto mechanic. But I also was 21 years old so it healed very quickly.
Wife told me she may sell my mountain bikes. I told her I would get a Ducati if she does. Ended that conversation pretty quickly.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about the crash and the injury, hope surgery goes well and you are ready to go soon!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wife told me she may sell my mountain bikes. I told her I would get a Ducati if she does. Ended that conversation pretty quickly.
lol a Ducati is what I was riding when I broke my clavicle. I had a 2011 848 Evo

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lol a Ducati is what I was riding when I broke my clavicle. I had a 2011 848 Evo
Buddy I ride with all the time has a '12 SF 848. That's about the most high strung temperamental motorcycle I've ever ridden. Power comes in like a damn sledgehammer and it does NOT like being below like 6k or so. Absolute blast to ride, but holy cow you better be ready for it. I ride his '10 Monster 696 and it's a MUCH more subdued experience!

@Mainah sorry to hear about the crash. hope it all heals nice and quick and relatively painless.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Buddy I ride with all the time has a '12 SF 848. That's about the most high strung temperamental motorcycle I've ever ridden. Power comes in like a damn sledgehammer and it does NOT like being below like 6k or so. Absolute blast to ride, but holy cow you better be ready for it. I ride his '10 Monster 696 and it's a MUCH more subdued experience!

@Mainah sorry to hear about the crash. hope it all heals nice and quick and relatively painless.
I love that 848 engine with a set of Termignoni's they sound amazing. My friend bought the SF 848 new and I got to ride it a little. Fun bike. I have been thinking about getting back into a Ducati. If I could find a SF 1098S for like 8-9k then I would sell my FZ09 to trade up. I like other Ducati's, but they have gotten way too expensive. Used XDiavel S is $14k, new Diavel V4 is $30k with exhaust. Same with the streetfighter V4. So I slowly talked myself out of a fancier bike because of $$ and also my FZ09 would fare a lot better if it were knocked over in NYC. Ducati parts can be VERY expensive especially the tri-stage painted bikes. Ducati Red is just a regular PPG paint and is easier to paint. I know because my 848 EVO was pearl white when it went down and I had to hunt down preowned fairings and still cost me a few thousand dollars. My bike wasn't fully insured at the time because full coverage on a Ducati SBK for a 21 year old was insane.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love that 848 engine with a set of Termignoni's they sound amazing. My friend bought the SF 848 new and I got to ride it a little. Fun bike. I have been thinking about getting back into a Ducati. If I could find a SF 1098S for like 8-9k then I would sell my FZ09 to trade up. I like other Ducati's, but they have gotten way too expensive. Used XDiavel S is $14k, new Diavel V4 is $30k with exhaust. Same with the streetfighter V4. So I slowly talked myself out of a fancier bike because of $$ and also my FZ09 would fare a lot better if it were knocked over in NYC. Ducati parts can be VERY expensive especially the tri-stage painted bikes. Ducati Red is just a regular PPG paint and is easier to paint. I know because my 848 EVO was pearl white when it went down and I had to hunt down preowned fairings and still cost me a few thousand dollars. My bike wasn't fully insured at the time because full coverage on a Ducati SBK for a 21 year old was insane.
If I was gonna get my own Duc, I would be looking for an air cooled Hyper 1100 S. Love that air cooled engine and the undertail exhaust just looks amazing. Second choice would be a Diavel of some flavor.

Buddy that owns the two now has been talking for years about trading them both for a pair of matching Multi-Stradas. He's got much deeper pockets than I do, but he works like 60+hrs a week to get those deep pockets, then had kids, so his time is at a super premium and I doubt he ever springs for the Multis.

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about the injury. My group of riding pals go by UMC, usually it's Una Mas Cerveza or as we joke - Una Mas collar bone.
I'd go with a Duc Multi Strada, single swing arm V4 Pikes Peak. Always had a thing for single swing arm, Strada is comfortable enough for all day touring.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal fast. But no one is asking the real question! Is the bike ok?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal fast. But no one is asking the real question! Is the bike ok?
All fully functional. Scuffed saddle, slightly torn grip, dinged up pedals, and dinged up outer linkage arm on axs derailleur. No other scratches or dents.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
All fully functional. Scuffed saddle, slightly torn grip, dinged up pedals, and dinged up outer linkage arm on axs derailleur. No other scratches or dents.
Seems to me it's AXS what's to blame. You should never ride that. Send it to me. I'll take care of it

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If I was gonna get my own Duc, I would be looking for an air cooled Hyper 1100 S. Love that air cooled engine and the undertail exhaust just looks amazing. Second choice would be a Diavel of some flavor.

Buddy that owns the two now has been talking for years about trading them both for a pair of matching Multi-Stradas. He's got much deeper pockets than I do, but he works like 60+hrs a week to get those deep pockets, then had kids, so his time is at a super premium and I doubt he ever springs for the Multis.
I'm interested to try that Hyper 1100 S I bet its more exciting than the 2013-2018. I bought the all new Hypermotard in 2013 and I was disappointed after some time. The 821 engine had more horsepower than the outgoing 1100cc air-cooled but it had less torque. Coming from my 848, the engine felt like a neutered 848 that had been tuned for mid-range. IMO it felt like it had lost its Ducati engine characteristic. I bought the Hyper because I wanted a supermoto bike, but I'm 5'7 with 30" inseam so that seat height was complicated with passengers. I like the direction they went with the latest gen and I would recommend people avoid the 2013-2018 model. The latest Hyper looks like they went back to the original Hyper lol.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I changed my Yakima rack for a 1up rack. OMG. The hype is real guys. That thing is so well made, sturdy, and looks like it will last forever.

PXL_20221211_141657967.jpgPXL_20221211_141707186.jpgPXL_20221211_042139398.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tabbibus Those divorced trays look a little different than my single trays. Wonder if it's a new design or a difference between the rear and roof mount setup.

I got mine in Nov '21 and have been using them on/off for a year now. They're super easy to use. They're robust as all hell, and they look good to boot. I doubt I'll ever buy another set of bike trays. If these "wear out" I might disassemble and have them re-anodized, but otherwise I'm not really certain what there is to go wrong on these.

1670938333717.png

I have had to make one modification. The rials rattled against the latch mechanism when in the folded position, and I could hear it rattle when the sunroof was open (since they're right over my head). Just used a small piece of sticky foam between the rails and the latch solved the problem.

1670938936510.png

Otherwise they're really secure and look great. Only real complaint is because of the 29in x 2.5in tires on my bike. It makes the bike "wobble" a bit in the tray and isn't as confidence inspiring as it could be. It's really secure, and I'm certain it won't fall, but it looks "wobbly" to others.

Sadly, my rack is on the wall until I can get my neck fixed :( :(
1670939428623.png

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm thinking about selling my '18 Cannondale jekyll. The jekyll is too much bike for 95% of my riding so I'm looking for a trail bike to bring to Colombia. I would like a bike that I can keep up on group rides, there's some groups to ride to small towns, 99% cross country. But also there's some bike parks here that we have to earn our downhills. So pedaling efficiency is huge for me.

Without ever riding a Stumpjumper and going by youtube reviews.. I would like to buy 1 so I can bring it back to Colombia in June. I'm torn between the Expert vs Pro. The money isn't really a problem, but the question is: Are the upgrades worth the extra $1500?

Pro --- Expert
Carbon wheels VS aluminum wheels
DT Swiss 350 VS DT Swiss 370
X01 AXS vs X01
Carbon crank vs Aluminum crank
Fox Factory vs Fox Performance Elite
Carbon bars vs aluminum bars
Bike yoke dropper vs Oneup dropper

Is it worth the extra $1500? I wouldn't mind saving money because I have to buy a car here soon.. I'm also skeptical about carbon wheels. I've had some bad luck with aluminum wheelsets because I always manage to damage them.

I was thinking that I could get the expert, put the 54t gear in the DT Swiss 370 and upgrade to AXS. And sell the X01 derailleur. Also I have a brand new Fox transfer on my Jekyll that I could swap for the oneup dropper if ppl say its better.
@tabbibus i'm curious about your opinion

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm thinking about selling my '18 Cannondale jekyll. The jekyll is too much bike for 95% of my riding so I'm looking for a trail bike to bring to Colombia. I would like a bike that I can keep up on group rides, there's some groups to ride to small towns, 99% cross country. But also there's some bike parks here that we have to earn our downhills. So pedaling efficiency is huge for me.

Without ever riding a Stumpjumper and going by youtube reviews.. I would like to buy 1 so I can bring it back to Colombia in June. I'm torn between the Expert vs Pro. The money isn't really a problem, but the question is: Are the upgrades worth the extra $1500?

Pro --- Expert
Carbon wheels VS aluminum wheels
DT Swiss 350 VS DT Swiss 370
X01 AXS vs X01
Carbon crank vs Aluminum crank
Fox Factory vs Fox Performance Elite
Carbon bars vs aluminum bars
Bike yoke dropper vs Oneup dropper

Is it worth the extra $1500? I wouldn't mind saving money because I have to buy a car here soon.. I'm also skeptical about carbon wheels. I've had some bad luck with aluminum wheelsets because I always manage to damage them.

I was thinking that I could get the expert, put the 54t gear in the DT Swiss 370 and upgrade to AXS. And sell the X01 derailleur. Also I have a brand new Fox transfer on my Jekyll that I could swap for the oneup dropper if ppl say its better.
@tabbibus i'm curious about your opinion
I went through this in 2021 and my opinion is no, it's not worth the extra $1500 for a few reasons.
1. I've never been a fan of carbon hoops. If I were going to spend extra money on wheels I'd prefer an upgrade to i9 hubs on aluminum hoops (which is what I did). Get some Cushcore inserts if you keep banging up aluminum hoops.
2. Mechanical X01 works flawlessly and the cool-factor upgrade to X01 AXS seems less flashy now that the new Sram Transmission drivetrain is out.
3. Fox Factory does have the cool-factor with the Kashima coating, but otherwise the Fox Performance Elite is the exact same fork (all top of the line internals like the Grip2).
4. The other items (cranks, bars, dropper) are things you could easily replace as a one-off based on your preference and still be well-ahead on cost.

On the off chance you happen to be looking for a size S5, I'm going to be selling my '21 S5 Stumpy Expert soon (stock, great condition because i couldn't ride at all in 2022 due to injury and being too busy). I'm going the opposite direction of you and looking to get a little rowdier so I just built up a new Stumpy EVO with a Fox 38 and the new Sram Transmission drivetrain. Pic of the new EVO baby:20230403_180741.jpg

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I went through this in 2021 and my opinion is no, it's not worth the extra $1500 for a few reasons.
1. I've never been a fan of carbon hoops. If I were going to spend extra money on wheels I'd prefer an upgrade to i9 hubs on aluminum hoops (which is what I did). Get some Cushcore inserts if you keep banging up aluminum hoops.
2. Mechanical X01 works flawlessly and the cool-factor upgrade to X01 AXS seems less flashy now that the new Sram Transmission drivetrain is out.
3. Fox Factory does have the cool-factor with the Kashima coating, but otherwise the Fox Performance Elite is the exact same fork (all top of the line internals like the Grip2).
4. The other items (cranks, bars, dropper) are things you could easily replace as a one-off based on your preference and still be well-ahead on cost.

On the off chance you happen to be looking for a size S5, I'm going to be selling my '21 S5 Stumpy Expert soon (stock, great condition because i couldn't ride at all in 2022 due to injury and being too busy). I'm going the opposite direction of you and looking to get a little rowdier so I just built up a new Stumpy EVO with a Fox 38 and the new Sram Transmission drivetrain. Pic of the new EVO baby:View attachment 197404
The bike looks nice, but I'm looking for an S3. I think that I'm going to go ahead and get the Expert and specialized has a deal 36 months 0% interest. Sell my Jekyll for hopefully 2800 and then I have some money to play with. Probably I'll just put rear cushcore. You were happy with the Stumpjumper?

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The bike looks nice, but I'm looking for an S3. I think that I'm going to go ahead and get the Expert and specialized has a deal 36 months 0% interest. Sell my Jekyll for hopefully 2800 and then I have some money to play with. Probably I'll just put rear cushcore. You were happy with the Stumpjumper?
Yeah, I was very happy with the Stumpjumper. It's a great all around bike.