• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mountain bike riders?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah

1) An enormous difference. Base forks and shocks just aren’t great.
Much better valving & tuneability beyond just pumping it up more. They’re also usually stiffer (against flex), especially if you get bigger stanchions, which makes things more predictable and smooth.

2) How long are you thinking of going? At 150 or so of good suspension you have a bike that’s still very nimble and can take big hits combined with decent technique.

3) Maybe the 29” wheels. You could try some 27.5” bikes.
I had the opposite experience but same thinking as you. I’m 5’11” and started on medium thinking that it would be more maneuverable. I went to a large of the same model bike several years later and I was much more comfortable.
I’d do a fitting where you buy it and make sure the seat position and other adjustments aren’t going to be maxed out for you on a medium.

4) If you’re that in tune with the bike and what you are feeling from the suspension then unfortunately you are screwed and you aren’t going to be very happy with compromise. I’m the same way.
It won’t be 3x better for 3x more cost but it will be a very big difference and you’ll be happy vs feeling like your bike is holding you back.

5 bonus!) carbon is awesome. It damps things more, it’s super stiff and super light. Not fragile in any way for riding but you do have to be careful about things hitting it. I put a tiny crack in my frame from the bike falling over in the perfect spot but it’s never caused me issues.

Go do a demo day if they do those where you are. Or rent some to try.

Im partial to specialized but that stumpjumper evo expert for $6100 looks awesome. I’ve rented Pivot Mach 5.5 and 6 up in Utah a couple times and they are very nice bikes too. The rear suspension felt similar to specialized despite being different designs.
Rented an Ibis Mojo as well and I didn’t like it quite as much. It felt a little less smooth but could’ve just been tuning.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
N+1 baby! Spend spend spend. But seriously tho. Don't do it yet. Demo the shit out of bikes first and then spend. Ride XC, trail, longer travel bikes. Try them all.

For the shock, try adding tokens if you are bottoming out.

Newer bikes are long and slack but have steeper seat tube angle. So you get best of both worlds. My 160/149 ripmo AF climbs like a goat and descends like a beast, all while being playful.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...a Fenix 7 series is probably right around the corner.
Guy on reddit works for a tech supply company and saw the Fenix 7 show up in his order screen the other day. I think they are really close to a release based on that. The 7X Pro will be pricey though, I'd guess in the $750 range.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Mainah I agree with statements above especially the part about renting/demoing/trying as many out as possible. A lot of it is personal feel. Bikes that feels great to you feels off to me. Some of it is how the bike is setup. I have an Ibis Mojo 3 with 27.5wheels. Switching from 2.3 to 2.8 tires it handles differently. Friend has a Pivot Trail 429. I rode it with 29" wheels with 2.4s....LOVED it. Few months later he converted it to 27.5 with 2.8, rode completely different. Went from quick, playful, light to settled in, smooth and heavy feeling, same bike, different wheels, same rider, same trail.

A professional fit may be in order as well. You are like me and in that weird size chart grey area between a medium/large based on most size charts. Sometime a few mm on the stem or headset spacer makes a big difference in handling. Also I'm not shy at trailheads. If I see someone at a trailhead with a bike I have been eyeballing you better believe I'm striking up a conversation see what they like what they don't.

I'm a big believer in the Trail/All Mountain category for most folks. Climbs ok but descends very well. XC is too light/uncomfy unless you are racing or just love climbing fast, but not into descending full out. Downhill is for riding Chairlifts with full face helmets and body armor and pushing up hills. Trail/All mountain is that sweet spot between XC and Downhill bikes. Don't be afraid of the carbon fiber. I haven't purchased anything but carbon in a long time and all still going strong with some serious abuse. Recently been upgrading my wheel sets to carbon fiber when I can find a good deal on them. (Sucker for the closeout section on any website).

Good luck in your search, tough time to be buying anything these days, but N+1 is bike owners version of 2ft-itis.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mainah

1. How material a difference does a top end suspension shock/fork make alone over entry level without going longer travel?

It depends what suspension that you have. The low end rockshox stuff is alright for an entry level rider. Upgrading the suspension isn't going to improve the rider - it's better to learn to tune the suspension and put volume spacers inside to gain more progressivity. I believe that, naturally, through tuning and tinkering, you will find what your current suspension is lacking and have better insight into what you need/want.

2. How much does longer travel rob playfulness in tight corners/maneuverers?

Anecdotally, I am speaking from my experience on 3 bikes with different rear travels (165, 150, 120): I prefer my 165 and I spent some time to get it really dialed. But pedaling through some trails it can feel like a tractor that doesn't accelerate well and struggles to maintain speed/flow. I take it as a compromise because I look for the most difficult lines, hard charge the rocky lines, and push the bike and myself. I had a 120 before, but I ended up selling it because my legs are too short for 29" wheels. I would like to try a short travel 27.5"

3. Was reach compromised (too long) to achieve long and slack wheelbase these days or is there some purpose to the reach being so long?

I started on a size small and went to a medium. I prefer the longer wheelbase over the shorter. The longer wheelbase isn't a problem if you can comfortably adjust the bars. Otherwise you need to down size.

4. Am I expecting too much or being too picky?

Not at all. I'm always browsing at bikes..

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We’re going to the house in Brazil to work some time bc my job gave me permission to work remotely. It’s nice to leave NYC and this apartment especially with the rising costs. Im also exploring the idea of starting a company and do international work. A lot of things going through my head, but the long term plan is to return to the USA. And ride some bikes in Brazil lol

705AA6D7-9B33-4D13-B1A5-A8AB206F7689.jpeg

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A few months into being a MTB guy and I am already on the fence with buying a new high end FS. The 2021 base model stumpy I got this year as my first FS is a decent bike but lacks in a few areas. The stock rear shock does not have a good response curve and bottoms out too easy. The stock front fork curve tapers off too fast on big stuff and is too squishy on small stuff. Not much adjustment to begin with and nothing I have tried from pressure to adjustments is fixing this. Add to that the entry level component group. Lastly and most importantly at 5’10” I have found the s4 size (about equivalent to a L 19”) is way too long a reach on this new school long and slack geometry for me.

Even if I step down a size I am likley to get a high degree bend back handle bar to resolve reach. I figure resolving reach along with angle will help reduce arm, wrist, hand, and elbow fatigue for me. I also figure that a top end longer travel shock/fork with help take the edge off drops and rads. I am looking to get something that is both more playful and longer travel. The more playful will come in the form of a smaller frame and perhaps even mullet. What I am trying to figure out is a top end Fox suspension worth it given I only ride once per week. I also read that a CF frame may help absorb some vibration. I am looking at a complete bike to upgrade everything and giving my current bike to my son (6’0” and a solid 182 lb athlete).

What I think I want quality wise resides in the $5k -$8k range. For that kind of dough and the motor does not get any better I am looking for real folks to weigh in if will make a material difference for a fairly hard charging once per week rider. Affordability is not an issue but don’t want to drop that much coin and be disappointed.

The key questions are
1. How material a difference does a top end suspension shock/fork make alone over entry level without going longer travel?

2. How much does longer travel rob playfulness in tight corners/maneuverers?

3. Was reach compromised (too long) to achieve long and slack wheelbase these days or is there some purpose to the reach being so long?

4. Am I expecting too much or being too picky?
Outerbike (https://www.outerbike.com/) is a fantastic event to demo bikes from all the top manufactures and ride the bikes in real world conditions. I've been to Outerbike Moab serval times, Crested Butte and Bentonville. I've demoed Pivot, Evil, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Orbea and then some...it's a bike junkies paradise. The manufactures encourage you to "Ride" the bikes, no one frets a scratch on the frame. A friend of mine taco'd a front wheel at an Outerbike event, the manufacture's rep apologized to him for the wheel giving.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Outerbike (https://www.outerbike.com/) is a fantastic event to demo bikes from all the top manufactures and ride the bikes in real world conditions. I've been to Outerbike Moab serval times, Crested Butte and Bentonville. I've demoed Pivot, Evil, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Orbea and then some...it's a bike junkies paradise. The manufactures encourage you to "Ride" the bikes, no one frets a scratch on the frame. A friend of mine taco'd a front wheel at an Outerbike event, the manufacture's rep apologized to him for the wheel giving.
I'd love to one day hit outerbike

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We’re going to the house in Brazil to work some time bc my job gave me permission to work remotely. It’s nice to leave NYC and this apartment especially with the rising costs. Im also exploring the idea of starting a company and do international work. A lot of things going through my head, but the long term plan is to return to the USA. And ride some bikes in Brazil lol

View attachment 168354
Safe travels man!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I definitely want to go to this event. I'm thinking about a colorado/moab trip next year and that would be a cool destination.

Safe travels man!
Thanks! I will have brazil bike pics in just a few weeks.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would love to make it to that some day.

Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies to my earlier post. I will update when new bike day comes but going to take my time demoing this time around as suggested. Great community here!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
we arrived at our house in brazil. It was only $90 to check 2 bags and 2 bikes. There was a lot of disassembly and moving parts to other bags to keep all bags under 50lbs.

Brazil requires a covid test and getting a test is crazy. We went to the test site at 6AM and waited 2 hours in the cold. People were with camping chairs, but we did 1 better. I backed my truck up to our place in the line and laid in the bed with blankets while we waited.

2345CD23-75BE-427E-B211-8525995FBA4C.jpeg

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone ridden in the SF Bay Area? Looking for some tips. Gnarly, downhill stuff preferred but will pretend I have lycra and ride XC if that's all there is

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone ridden in the SF Bay Area? Looking for some tips. Gnarly, downhill stuff preferred but will pretend I have lycra and ride XC if that's all there is
I have a really good friend that lives in San Jose. I can reach out to him if you like.

I was considering making a surprise trip out to see him for his birthday in a few weeks. When are you gonna be there?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'll be there in May, yeah see what you can find out.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone use a kid carrier seat on their full suspension mountain bike?
My son is a little too young and crazy for one of the mid mount seats for actual mountain biking so I need a rear carrier for now. I’m not sure if it’s even possible.
I may have to get a cheapo bike to haul him around on but I’d rather not.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone use a kid carrier seat on their full suspension mountain bike?
My son is a little too young and crazy for one of the mid mount seats for actual mountain biking so I need a rear carrier for now. I’m not sure if it’s even possible.
I may have to get a cheapo bike to haul him around on but I’d rather not.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a carrier that works on a FS bike.

If you're staying on mild gravel and pavement I've had great success with a trailer.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think I have a plan. Gotta plot how to convince the wife I need this.