• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mounted my Ray Marine Dragonfly with Ram Mounts Today

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I thought I would add in my new install on my Chartplotter. See pics below. I used a 1.5 inch Ram Mount as shown. Instead of a permanent mount or otherwise, I used a Seasucker vacuum mount. It is rated to hold 40 lbs so this is not going anywhere. It also removes easily and cleanly when not needed.

I am very happy with the clean look of the install and it is very stable.

View attachment 18971 View attachment 18972
@waterboy I really liked your mounting method so I used it to mount my new Garmin and can't wait to try it out on the Bimini trip. Thanks to @internationalmarinemike for helping me choose the unit, so far I really like the Garmin 54dv unit.

Garmin GPS install 01.jpg

Garmin GPS install 02.jpg

Last edited:

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice install. I have a Garmin 547. Can;t wait to compare features.

SCIFICANADA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey guys, newbie to the site.
I have a 2014 242 and want to install my Garmin 720S.
I am stealing the SeaSucker/Ram mount option for the head unit (I really hate drilling holes in a boat).

Now, that said, I gather that the stock Transducer will NOT support my Garmin....Correct?

And If not, I guess Im Drilling and even larger hole in my boat?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys, newbie to the site.
I have a 2014 242 and want to install my Garmin 720S.
I am stealing the SeaSucker/Ram mount option for the head unit (I really hate drilling holes in a boat).

Now, that said, I gather that the stock Transducer will NOT support my Garmin....Correct?

And If not, I guess Im Drilling and even larger hole in my boat?
Correct, the stock transducer is not compatible with the Garmin. To minimize the size of the holes you drill, you can use a transom mounted transducer instead of a through the hull one. My new Garmin transom mounted transducer worked great.

FYI - I just used the Seasucker and Ram arm for my Garmin 54dv on the crossing to, from, and around Bimini and the unit is rock solid barely a wiggle when getting pound by 4'-6' or better seas. Also, I left it attach for 7 days without issue, only every other day did I have to push the vacuum pump plunger once or twice.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I used the ram mount suction cup similar to the sea sucker picture and it held great as well.

If you losen the screws on the dash, you can easily pull the cable through the dash. I am still trying to determine my transducer location.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard @SCIFICANADA you won't be able to use a transom mount transducer on your model boat without some signal loss in specific conditions. I bought a thru hull transducer and had to drill the larger hole in the bottom. It was an easy install and I would do that again, as jet and wake disturbance can kill the signal when transim mounted. I installed a Gsrmin 70S, same basic boat as yours.
Once again, welcome!

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@waterboy and @Andy S , Looks like it's been a while since you installed those mounts. Are you still happy with the Seasucker? I was just about to drill holes for my Ram base when I thought I'd take a quick look and see if there was another option... I like the Seasucker MUCH better and that's exactly where I wanted to drill, but that are looks like a PITA to get to for tightening the nuts I'd need. If you're happy with the Seasucker, I'll jump on that in a heartbeat. My setup will be the same as Andy's but with a slightly larger GPS (Garmin 540S). I already have the Ram 1 1/2 balls and arm, so I'm set other than the Seasucker.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@smthng after the trip to Bimini in the 3 to 5 ft plus pounding for many hours, my mount didn;t move a bit. I am very happy with it. The other part I liked is that my system is totally removable if I ever want to move to another boat or whatever and no holes drilled. When I am at the lake and don;t need it, I can keep it locked away and can't even tell anything gets mounted there. I also have the Garmin 547 and holds it well.

If I recall, I did have to drill to get the Seasucker mounts to line up or something. Just be aware of that and you'll be fine.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I love my ram mount sucker...only moves when you engage the quick release.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Installed my Dragonfly this weekend...Power and mounted primarily, will run and drill for the transducer in the coming weeks. I used the 90% same setup @waterboy shows. the fitment and mounting is easy/excellent solution.. Kudos !

I was pleased to see the Boats Speedo and the Dragonfly Speedo were spot on at any speed ! topped out at 49.8mph with 2 adults, a tailwind, dated plugs, 87 octane and minor chop

rein

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How did you attach the Ram to the SeaSucker?
I attached ram mount to the seasucker using pan #8 stainless steel bolts with nylon lock nuts. You have to take the plunger assemble off the suction cup (4 pan head bolts) to attach the ram mount. To mount the Garmin bracket to the ram mount I used the same hardware, the only difference is I used 3 bolts instead of 2.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
what @Andy S said. Same for the other side. Just make sure you buy the proper ball mounts and a quick trip to the hardware store for SS nuts and bolts.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
so in the fall i purchased the garmin echomap 74sv. It is the rectangle one with a 7 inch dusplay but with the key pad it is prob more like 8 inches long. (yes i know it is far more plotter than i need but it was half off through a contact i have with garmin, with the transducer and also half off the vhf radio i bought. But i had to buy what they had available sooo ) I am trying to figure out where to put it and how to mount it. It just seems too big to mount on the right side of the helm like a lot her have... I like the suction mount Idea. Right now i am thinking either using a ram mount base and screwing it in to the side wall beside the helm door and using two ram arms with a joint in the middle to turn it the way i want it and let it rest on the dash just inside the windshield support arm on the left side of the helm.... or suction mount it to the windshield and use a ram arm just long enough for it to sit just under the windshield and let it rest on the dash.. what does the forum think?

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I love my ram mount sucker...only moves when you engage the quick release.
Would you mind sharing where you got the ram mount with the suction cup, I have looked all over. I have a echomap 53dv. Thanks

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length