• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mr1 ecm

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did a complete drain this weekend from the bottom bolt it's not that bad but does take a few extra minutes
my problem is with the fuel running into the oil it has waaaaaaay more fluid than it is suppose to have. i will drain what i can from the top and be ready to catch a lot more than normal from the bottom.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
my problem is with the fuel running into the oil it has waaaaaaay more fluid than it is suppose to have. i will drain what i can from the top and be ready to catch a lot more than normal from the bottom.
Don't run the engine to warm up the oil prior to extraction. It's thin enough already.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There's a couple of threads on greenhulk.net about FXHOs dumping fuel out of an injector. I think one guy traced it down to water in the ECU, and another a wiring issue. You can do some searches over there.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There's a couple of threads on greenhulk.net about FXHOs dumping fuel out of an injector. I think one guy traced it down to water in the ECU, and another a wiring issue. You can do some searches over there.
If I am going to check the injector resistance with the injector harness intact do u know which plug I conduct the test through?

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I suggest you create a thread on greenhulk.net in the Yamaha 4-Stroke Performance section.

-Greg

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I am going to check the injector resistance with the injector harness intact do u know which plug I conduct the test through?
To do a resistance check you have to unplug the injector from the harness to isolate it from the others.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hate to state it @bronze_10 , but I think you have a bad ecm. Why? Because everything that has happened to your engine happened to the 06 fx wave runner I used to have. That is, first it was hard to start, after I replaced the rectifier it became hard to restart and eventually it wouldn’t start at all. In trying to diagnose the problem I found fuel or water (I can’t remember which now but the oil was contaminated) in the oil and my next door neighbor, a retired post office mechanic said it could be a bad seal/gasket allowing. Before simply replacing the seal I change the oil several times to try and replaced as much of the contaminted oil that I could, I also took it in to two pwc shops. Both shops told me the seal / gasket was fine, through process of elimation (of the start, stator, etc.) they narrowed it down to the Ecu.

I think you can check this theory easily on your boat buy swapping the ecm s between the engines.

Unfortunately for me, carmo not only agreed with the diagnosis of the two shops but went on to state that the ecm was unrepairable. I almost forgot to mention that the ski always had a slow leak, I found out the first time I left it in knee deep water over night, the next morning the hull was full of water under the intake level but the electrical box, or the bottom half of it, was under water. Years later when I opened the electrical box up there was water in it, only a teaspoon or so but enough to make me suspect that my ski’s problems were bigger than a bad seal or gasket.

If you haven’t already given carmo a call to set up the diagnostic you might want to make that call, with any “luck” they will be able to diagnose and repair the ecm within to 3 weeks, long before the end of Summer/boating season.

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suspected that was the case but it was all but confirmed in my head when I opened the ecu box and everything was sealed with standing water in the box.. I have not been able to flush the engine after the bimini crossing yet due to contamination of the oil and the jacked up injector. So this morning my wife and I are removing the ecu from the other engine and putting it in the bad one. The test the ecu theory... And to start the engine so I can refill it with good oil. And to see if there is water in this one as well. I took out over 9 quarts of oil Contaminated oil but as of yet I have not seen any metal shavings. Even running a magnet through it I have not seen any. I ordered a filter cutter. I am gonna cut open the filter and check the pleats. But I am hoping the engine is still sound and just needs the new ecu. I will send it off ASAP to have it checked.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Please post a pic of the filter cutter when you get it. I cut a few open years ago just to see what the filter elements were made off. I think I put the filters in a vise and used a Dremel with cutoff wheel to open them up. I imagine a filter cutter is more like a can opener.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just started the engine with the other ecu... Jumped to life and purred like a kitten.. No gas smell.. . All looks good so far. . The true test will be once we replace the ecu and put it in the water under load!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a thought @bronze_10. Before reassembling I would use a hair dryer to blow out or use an electronic spray to dry out any female electrical connectors.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a thought @bronze_10. Before reassembling I would use a hair dryer to blow out or use an electronic spray to dry out any female electrical connectors.
Now ya tell me ! Lol .Nah its not sealed up yet however there way water in the other ecm box also. We dried it all out. There was not nearly as much as in the port side ecu box.. But still had some in it.