• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mr1 ecm

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was thinking the same thing, if water were rising by the time it got that high you'd have worse engine problems to worry about,

Any idea yet how the water got into the box, I know you said your were stuck at the edge of a roof in a storm directing water into your boat but looking at my '07 the way the hatch seal is it still shouldn't have leaked water into the box ??
I really have no idea other than the rain storm. Both box had water in them but where the water was hitting was almost directly over the port engine... Right ontop of the engine hatch area.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So as I am wrenching on the boat this afternoon I remember reading that although it is rare when an ecu does crap out its oddly most often the port side. As I lookee at the rear bulk head trying to figure out how rain water was getting to the box I suddenly realized there is a drain hose that drains the channel above the engine hatch and is connected to a scupper like drain behind the port rear seat cushion. If the torrent of rain fall over whelmed this drain it could have ran down the inside wall of the engine compartment... Guess what's under it!! !

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So as I am wrenching on the boat this afternoon I remember reading that although it is rare when an ecu does crap out its oddly most often the port side. As I lookee at the rear bulk head trying to figure out how rain water was getting to the box I suddenly realized there is a drain hose that drains the channel above the engine hatch and is connected to a scupper like drain behind the port rear seat cushion. If the torrent of rain fall over whelmed this drain it could have ran down the inside wall of the engine compartment... Guess what's under it!! !
I figured it was something like this.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think there is a difference in engine hatches on 04-06 and 07-09

I looked at that drain/hose a few days ago trying to figure out how your deluge could have gotten to the ECU,

If the drain overflows are you thinking as it goes over the edge to catches the outside of the drain hose and runs down the outside of the hose to the ECU
or
it just overflows and runs down (I don't think this would be the culprit as the drain is in the center and the ECU is offset) ??

Sounds like I have a job for the gopro to shoot a test video (if it only wasn't supposed to 100 this afternoon)

Was your drain hose mounted securely at the hatch? mine was very well sealed and wouldn't budge, I didn't check the fitting at the exit though,

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My hose was secure but the entire fitting seemed a little loose... That hose is the only thing different from side to side. When I said we were caught in a down pur I mean the roof channeled all the rain to one spot and then ran off the roof into my boat. We also just took the cover off when we were at publics to load food so it was uncovered as well. I have owned this boat since 2015 and have never turned a wrench on it other than routine maintenance and mods... This is the only thing I can figure out that could have been a trigger..

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Along your thought process of the water coming from overflow of the drain hose and making its way down to the box. Also on the port side are those two open holes. Could water from a hard stop be washing that far up the back deck, behind the rear seats and through those holes? I personally have never see it happen but never looked that hard. The starboard side has the exhaust hoses attached to those holes so any water coming through those would end up in the bottom of the engine compartment.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Music to my ears. Sounds exactly like mine.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Along your thought process of the water coming from overflow of the drain hose and making its way down to the box. Also on the port side are those two open holes. Could water from a hard stop be washing that far up the back deck, behind the rear seats and through those holes? I personally have never see it happen but never looked that hard. The starboard side has the exhaust hoses attached to those holes so any water coming through those would end up in the bottom of the engine compartment.
Man that would be a hard stop but I suppose it is possible. I am pretty sure I did not have a hard stop to the point where it came that high.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dont believe water would ever get that high. If you ever had to stop fast enough where it could, the bow of the boat would go down and the rear would come up before the water could wash up on the back of the boat.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20180716_172730.jpg 20180716_172856.jpg I went out and looked at it prepared to use the go pro with the closed hatch even though it was 105 degrees,

but, I've got the bulb seal mod on mine and it makes an impression on the insulation on the hatch lid so I don't think my test would be a good baseline.

I definitely agree the forward portion of the lip is below the rear but still curious as to if water did overflow it would have to work it's way around some bends to make it all the way to the ecu

Bronze - do you have a gopro or some type of video to record with the hatch closed if water over flows and if so where it goes,

I definitely think this is worthwhile if it saves another member a ECU,

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe try taping a strip of paper towels to the top edge and see where they get wet.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
View attachment 79256 View attachment 79257 I went out and looked at it prepared to use the go pro with the closed hatch even though it was 105 degrees,

but, I've got the bulb seal mod on mine and it makes an impression on the insulation on the hatch lid so I don't think my test would be a good baseline.

I definitely agree the forward portion of the lip is below the rear but still curious as to if water did overflow it would have to work it's way around some bends to make it all the way to the ecu

Bronze - do you have a gopro or some type of video to record with the hatch closed if water over flows and if so where it goes,

I definitely think this is worthwhile if it saves another member a ECU,
Yes I have a go pro. . But it give me chills to think about doing it... Lol. Honestly I don't think a water hose would be enough to duplicate what was happening to my boat during that rain storm... Think angry waterfall!