• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mr1 ecm

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup, sure is.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can run with no filters while you're waiting for new ones. I think Riva make cleanable/reusable filters.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bronze_10 do you have a photo of your ecu/ECM with the water infiltration? This issue is my biggest fear with my boat and I'm just wondering what it looked like.

Last year I put gorilla tape over the seam of the box that houses the ECU to add some protection. I also have wondered about using injector cleaning additives in the engine to ward off the stuck injector issue. Thoughts?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I posted several photos of what I found when opened the ecu box further back in this post. Where the ecu plugs in also had water in it.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right, thanks!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How is moisture getting into the box? Seems to me where it is located it is pretty well protected from any normal driving or rain. Is it just condensation build up?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That freaking box is like a gun safe.. I have no idea how it gets in.. .. However I removed the ecu from the good engine and there was water in that box as well. Not sure how it gets in.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As a preemptive measure I might be opening mine up to check and dry it out if it is wet. Since this is only happening on the older models perhaps it’s just the # of years that condensation has a chance to build up. Or has this occurred on boats with the 1.8’s? Also curious if I should be running some fuel additive to clean the injectors. This is getting to be a little concerning.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe its a design flaw.. Like I said even the one that was working fine has water in it. Not as much but some. The one that went bad actually had water in the plug. At this point I don't think it is a mechanical issue with the injectors. I think it is a control issue with water intrusion.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so the back of the ecu in the picture that Mike posted on the previous page, also screenshot added here...are the bumps that look like pop rocks in the plastic normal? Is this the sign of a bad ecu or is this how the plastic mold is manufactured?

1F61DDC6-FB87-4E45-9584-C199D7A627D6.png

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just opened my oil filter. I did not see anything jaw dropping... The oil at the bottom of the casing if u caught the light just right u could see a few glitters but very few and they were hard to pin point.. So I can't say I saw nothing but not absolutely saying there was metal falkes in the oil.

Side note.. The k&n filters are freaking well built! Whew..

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so the back of the ecu in the picture that Mike posted on the previous page, also screenshot added here...are the bumps that look like pop rocks in the plastic normal? Is this the sign of a bad ecu or is this how the plastic mold is manufactured?

View attachment 78371
I believe that is for heat dissipation.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thoughts on how water gets in not sure of how the engine hatch is on all models but on the 2005 there is a drip ledge that tries to direct the water away at the pivot point. If you wash the boat with the tongue down low water fills that area up it won’t spill into the engine compartment because the boat is still .While the boat is in use and you slow down abruptly you can get a decent wave to wash up on the back deck. It’s this rush of water that fills up the clean out ports and makes its way past that hinge point spilling over the ecu boxes not positive but very likely. Has anyone noticed after a very calm mellow ride that the clean out ports have no water and when the drain plug is pulled it’s bone dry ? But on heavy usage the clean out ports have a lot of water and the drain plug dumps a nice stream out. The other factor could be rain related and a steep driveway water could fill up and spill in . Water can weep into the smallest crevice I have always wanted to drill drain holes at the bottom . Mine have never been opened but this is making me curious . To test for water coming in put apiece of cardboard along the back hinge area above the ecu go ripping around and get the waves to roll up and check for water stains .

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone drilled holes in their ecu case?
I was thinking the same thing, if water were rising by the time it got that high you'd have worse engine problems to worry about,

Any idea yet how the water got into the box, I know you said your were stuck at the edge of a roof in a storm directing water into your boat but looking at my '07 the way the hatch seal is it still shouldn't have leaked water into the box ??