• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My 2015 Yamaha 242 Limited S

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I told my wife yesterday morning "I hope Adam was able to go boating today, because tomorrow is going to be sucky". :-( sorry to hear that. Weather's going to be sucky until Wednesday I think.

We drive down to LP on Wednesday and we're there until Thursday if you change your mind!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does anyone have any requests on what they would like to see?
Is there anything to take pictures of the quiet ride improvements? I am very interested to get your opinion on what was done, how it sounds, and how it might be applied to other boats.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hell "Liquid Affair II" Shouldn't it rain on its maiden voyage??

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is there anything to take pictures of the quiet ride improvements? I am very interested to get your opinion on what was done, how it sounds, and how it might be applied to other boats.
The "Quiet Ride" involves EXTENSIVE RE-ENGINEERING of the entire Hull Design, and Compartmentalization design of the 24 foot Yamahas.
The ENTIRE thing (hull, etc).
That is why "patches" we have tried and applied "seem" to make a LITTLE difference (reducing engine noise, etc) ........ But nothing even close to what Yamaha has achieved.
Kinda reminds one of an old GE slogan ......... "Better Products through Better Engineering."

Ya want QUIET ? Seriously ? Open up your wallet. At least as involves Yamahas and boating.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You could follow the steps Yamaha has taken to isolate the floor, but it might be costly. Maybe not! Four isolation posts under that fuel tank lid may go farther than the hatch insulation that has become the norm on retrofit. But I agree with @MikeyL , the reengineered Yamaha seems at first glance to be a quantum leap in applied technology in a good many areas, making an upgrade the cheapest alternative to some of these mods. But looks can be deceiving, and there is real value in the pre 2015 boats. All of the real added improvements in the 2015 240 series don't total the increase in msrp IMO. They have added a good deal more things to the boat and made changes that make sense. Many of these things are just different, and the cost to do them vs what they were doing shouldn't have changed the msrp that much. Getting a return on investment used to be done over time, not up front. So getting these costs paid for at purchase seems a bit over the top at first glance to me. That said, maybe it isn't. I like the buzz the new boat is creating, and I have no doubt it is a better boat than the previous...but it is a different boat too, with a much different price point. And...as a member of a consumer forum that we have here, the buzz is great, but as a membership, we have the ability to measure the value here much better from hindsight. That means that @Williamsone46 , and the guys that buy this new boat design need to use them and give us their opinions...not just hype Yamaha...let's not pay for Yamahas Ad campaign, let them spend the money to do that. But let's not kill a product before it is tested either. All of the previous years of boats may benefit from the new designs. You don't have to start from scratch to compartmentalize these boats, there may be some improvement that can be made that is at a low enough cost that the applied technology can be retrofitted...if lowering the sound level is that important to you.

@Glassman , what would it cost to scab on a keel rib extension on an existing boat to add longitudinal stability when combined with an aftermarket rudder assembly or fins? I get that they patented their rudder, but hey, boats have had rudders a long time, as have jet pumps been around a long time. My guess is that what improvements the aftermarket made in these boats was ahead of Yamaha, and they went the way they did, not because it was the best way, but because they other way may have already held patents to prevent them from going that way @Cobra Jet Steering LLC . I don't remember the guy that came out with the rudder a few years back...that we all scoffed at up front, but his design is very similar to what Yamaha came up with.

My point here is that there are always creative folks out there, make improvements to existing technology, that makes a contribution to future developments. I don't see 10's of thousands of preowned Yammi's being scrapped to jump to the new and improved. I firmly believe that these advances that Yamaha is making in their 2015 240/242 is a direct result of our forum involvement. It is good that they are listening, but it would be good for them to balance their achievements from our input with some support of the earlier boats they made too, and come up with some parts to support them too. They did this with the clean out plug rebuild kit, but they hid this in a newer model and didn't add it to existing parts lists, even though those parts would fit earlier plugs too. It was forum members that found this and discovered it would fit. I bet that the jetboaters.net members get a boost and benefit from the improvements present in the new boats without throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Williamsone46 Did you end up going to Bear Lake? I HATE that lake in weather. The waves there can get out of control for the size of a waterbody that it is (because in the middle it's so deep). I have almost taken water over my bow in my Cobalt at that lake... so I hope you were able to stay safe!

If you went there, hopefully you just decided to beach down by rendezvous beach or you had her trailered before the weather kicked in.

Edit: for those that haven't seen Bear Lake in weather, it's as bad if not worse than Lake Powell's main channel at 3:00PM right after Rainbow Bridge, Antelope Canyon, and Canyon Adventures tour boats all pass each other (only thing that could make it worse is Canyon Princess having a lunch tour, thank god that's not reality). This produces short period wake swells that are 3' tall or more and they just bounce off the walls of the canyon.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@sysinu I ended up staying home. I didn't want to go all the way up there to sit in bad weather. I was hoping that the weather would break and I could go launch at Provo.

Last edited:

Nucem140

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Adam, you better just tell your boss you need to take the boat out so you can provide guys like us with more videos. PR is important and should be good enough reason to get a paid day on the lake. And just to make it official I want to see how your family fits in the boat and what each of them like the most.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@sysinu I'm going out Wednesday to Utah lake. My wife likes the hinged seats, my son likes his new co captain chair, we'll have to see what my daughter likes.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@sysinu I'm going out Wednesday to Utah lake. My wife likes the hinged seats, my son likes his new co captain chair, we'll have to see what my daughter likes.
Look for us on I-15 headed South! Wednesday should have good weather up north. It will be great to know from your perspective how much more boat a 242 feels like on the water than a 21' boat.

Did you get your spacers in yet? I have my fingers crossed for you on your impeller pitch. Hope you can get 7K RPM+ from both screws.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I will look for yea. I have a couple gopros so I'll try and get some good footage.

I have the Riva spacers but I don't plan on putting them in until over the winter. I'm hoping between the spacers and maybe impellers I'll get around 7200 rpm.

Last edited:

Charles

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
took my '15 LS out on Saturday (Crystal River Florida) and Sunday (Homosassa Springs Florida). She's got 5 hours on her now, and we love every minute. The only bad part is I can not compare her to anything. as we used to have Jet Ski's (old 2cycle). I will tell you, I can see why many are talking about the hinged seats...really nice! No cushions moving around. I wish I had driven a '14, just so I could compare, but alas, I can't.

I will say that at 1600rpm (No wake mode) she did seem to wander a little bit on the winding river. I noticed it more on Sunday than Saturday, so it may have been the kids moving around (Saturday was 4 Adults, Sunday was 4 Adults and 3 kids). 2k RPM is a little bit better. I also need to practice my docking skills. going from a Jet Ski to a 24' boat has a small learning curve. I have no complaints on the engine sounds.

Somebody did steal the trailer winch handle on Sunday. That was a Bummer!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
These are big boats. Even the 23' was a big boat. I can't speak to the 21'ers, but these boats have always had a high freeboard and with the windshield and no rudder, they took some learned skill to handle around the docks and trailer. If you have never driven a boat @Charles , it sounds like you did great! No matter what upgrades they did to handling, it is still a boat and subject to wind/waves/movement inside the boat and takes anticipation and expectation of what it is going to do when you make input changes. That comes with some practice. Overall, it sounds like a much different story than we have read over the years from a first time boater, which is normally some dock rash and a rush to order some sort of fin! About that winch handle...that is just plain mean. I guess it is better than them taking the whole trailer...how did you "handle" it? I am trying to figure out how I would!

Charles

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have boat fenders, so that helped, but not a scratch. I just need practice swinging the rear around after getting teh bow line attached.

As far as the trailer winch handle, luckily, it was a quick release style, and since it was the last weekend for scalloping in Florida, the docks were pretty busy. Gentleman next to me let me borrow his for a minute. Nice guy!

But don't get me wrong, my expereinces havent been 'perfect'. My first launch, and both plugs were out! I was only a few feet from teh dock when I realized it... Newbie mistake ;-)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
One of the easiest ways to get the boat alongside the dock, is to approach the dock at a 30-40 degree angle, bow first. You can do that in and out of forward idle. Moving in and out of neutral to forward idle keeps the speed manageable. As you get within a foot of the dock or so, just turn the wheel towards the dock and drop the throttles into reverse idle to bring the stern toward the dock. As you get used to this maneuver, you will notice that you need some forward momentum to let the boat drift to the dock as you reverse. This is easier with no wind or wave, or with the wind pushing you to the dock. If the wind is pushing away from the dock, you will need more momentum to keep the wind from blowing you off the dock as you come alongside. Good luck and have fun with that great new boat!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
took my '15 LS out on Saturday (Crystal River Florida) and Sunday (Homosassa Springs Florida). She's got 5 hours on her now, and we love every minute. The only bad part is I can not compare her to anything. as we used to have Jet Ski's (old 2cycle). I will tell you, I can see why many are talking about the hinged seats...really nice! No cushions moving around. I wish I had driven a '14, just so I could compare, but alas, I can't.

I will say that at 1600rpm (No wake mode) she did seem to wander a little bit on the winding river. I noticed it more on Sunday than Saturday, so it may have been the kids moving around (Saturday was 4 Adults, Sunday was 4 Adults and 3 kids). 2k RPM is a little bit better. I also need to practice my docking skills. going from a Jet Ski to a 24' boat has a small learning curve. I have no complaints on the engine sounds.

Somebody did steal the trailer winch handle on Sunday. That was a Bummer!
Really......the handle.....I bet bored kids with nothing else to do but annoy someone. I am sorry you have to deal with this.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
At least the handle is relatively cheap. I had the locking oil cap on my trailer stolen once, that and other experiences have led me to locking everything I can down including the spare tire. A full stock spare (tire and rim no bearings) costs around $150 to $200 and is usually secured to the trailer by a single lug nut which just about all boaters have the wrench for yet many people take no measures to keep it from being stolen. Once bitten twice or three times shy for me I guess.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It looks like Yamaha addressed two major issues. 1) They toned down the noise from the engines. 2) They improved low speed steering. I can't imagine what will keep the I/O owners from making the shift to one of these.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Replaced the stock bow roller with a super soft polly Smith bow roller.
20140924_074457.jpg

Last edited: