• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My AR240 upgrades and stereo build.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider ......December is always a busy time around our house. Unfortunately, it will probably the first of the year before I even begin messing with this stuff. Probably going to build a new amp racks and definately have to do a new sub enclosure.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider ....I haven't bought one yet. I am leaning toward the Exile Audio 12". I have really enjoyed working with Brian (the owner of Exile). His customer service is hands down, the best I have ever experienced, and if you keep checking the "hot deals" section of the website, they often have "demo" equipment marked way down....and it carries the new warranty. He has made me some offers on their equipment that I could not pass up. Example.....I emailed him to ask some questions before Thanksgiving about my upcoming audio changes. He CALLED me within a few minutes and we spoke for quite some time. At the end of the conversation, he says he has a demo set of XM9'S that were getting ready to be put on the website. Usually the demos run about $825. He said he would go ahead and give me the upcoming Black Friday deal for an extra 20% off. That's $660 for a pair of $1100 speakers! So then I ordered a couple of amps during the Black Friday deal and got the 20% off of those. They came in and there were two Exile bumper (fender) balls and stickers included in the package. With the exception of the JL cabin speakers and the wetsounds 420eq, I hope to run all Exile next summer.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Are you aware that the Exile 12" sub has a paper cone with a plastic dustcap? So a paper woofer in a ported box in a boat. Paper absorbs moisture.
You can get a JL Audio 12W3 or a Wetsounds XS12 that basically have the same Thiele/Small parameters which means they will work in a similar enclosure. They all have the same size voice coil and handle the same amount of power. The Wetsounds is 100% marine. The JL Audio has lower moving mass and is the most articulate. All cost about the same with grills after discounts.
The Wetsounds EQ is dual zone. The Exile EQ is only single zone. The Exile will not allow you to bypass the EQ's internal lowpass filter, a function better served by the amplifier crossover.
No comparison between the JL Audio MX coaxial and the Exile coaxial. The Exile has a cheap automotive steel basket while the JL Audio is fully marinized construction. The Exile coaxial has a major hole in the mids and way too much tweeter emphasis. Vocals sound decapitated at the throat while the JL Audio is silky smooth and full of body.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@David Analog .....I am aware of the Exile woofers construction. I haven't completely decided on it at this point, but it is on the short list. I have looked at the Wetsounds, but according to the website, it appears to only be available in 4ohm.....I'm looking for a 2 ohm load. The XXX is way over my budget and I am still considering some JL offerings. See the truth is, I cant find a single negative thing online about the Exile woofer. Not to mention it does have a two year warranty and if Brian's customer service hold true to form, I don't think Ill ever have a problem if an issue does occur.

....and apparently you misread my statement regarding the Wetsounds 420 and the JL cabin speakers. I have the WS420BT (bought from Odin) and JL mx650's going in this year. Those pieces are not changing. I have never considered the Exile ZLD or the Exile coaxials.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
No, I interpreted your statement as you were keeping the JL Audio and Wetsounds products. Just reinforcing that you have the superior product.
Look, honestly the Exile 12" is a pretty good sounding subwoofer day one of the installation. A big woofer used with a ton of power in a big bass-reflex enclosure, who would complain. But getting hoodwinked into using a paper woofer in an open/ported enclosure in a marine environment is just plain nonsense. Not to mention what happens under cover in storage with temperature swings, a bit of water in the bilge, or slightly damp carpet.
Brian with Exile has repeatedly and strongly discouraged people from using MDF material for sub enclosures in boats even though his woofer is essentially made from the same pulp. But he has only one woofer offering....paper....as a leftover from a car audio line that gained no traction. He is a friendly guy, a great salesman and has certainly cultivated a wake forum presence. And he makes sure to take care of those who are very visible on forums. He knows where his bread is buttered. But paper in a boat? Come on.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for your input on the woofer. All of what you said are things that I have given thought to and my search for a woofer is certainly not done.

......on the subject of the ws 420 and the coaxials.....why not just say "nice choice".....or "you'll be happy with these, they are great products"? What is the need of going into a paragraph long rant about the other equipment? In my search for audio, I have visited the other wake forums and I am aware of the fouled relationship between you and Brian. I also have seen how all those threads end up. While you have forgotten more than most of us will ever know about audio, and your opinions and information is certainally of value, let leave that BS on other forums and not bring it over here.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
20150205_142614.jpg One side done.....

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Originally I planned to have both sides farther forward. I wanted the passenger side located just under the grab handle and the driver side would be bascally just in front of the throttles. After measuring and examining closer, the center cleats are directly behind both of these locations. I was worried about depth since the nuts and bolts on them are huge. I dug up a picture on the other site of someone who had them done in my current locations. The passenger side has no bolster......but it's a pretty close fit. When I cut the hole I thought to myself it was not going to be deep enough but it was. It has minimal effect on the glove box (but it will not stay open). The driver side obviously has a bolster. It's a 3/4 and 1/2 piece of birch sandwiched together and shaped to match the contour of the combing pocket. I obviously coated it in resin and painted it. 20150218_130325.jpg

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finished with the first leg of my RGB LED install. Just need to adjust the sensitivity a bit on the music controller. Sorry for the crappy video.

AR240 RGB LED install:
What RGB controller are you using?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
PaulyB......I am using the music beat controller from oznium.com. There are two way to hook it up. The first way is like is shown in the video. It has a microphone and just picks up the sounds. Problem is, when the boat is running, it picks up all the other noise from the engines, etc. Later in the year, I hooked it directly off my rear rca jacks from the head unit. (I use a wetsounds eq so I only have to use the front rcas off the headunit). The cool thing about this is that you can use the fader on the headunit as a sensitivity controller for the led's......works tons better!

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
PaulyB......I am using the music beat controller from oznium.com. There are two way to hook it up. The first way is like is shown in the video. It has a microphone and just picks up the sounds. Problem is, when the boat is running, it picks up all the other noise from the engines, etc. Later in the year, I hooked it directly off my rear rca jacks from the head unit. (I use a wetsounds eq so I only have to use the front rcas off the headunit). The cool thing about this is that you can use the fader on the headunit as a sensitivity controller for the led's......works tons better!
Awesome, I am still in the building phase of my stereo and RGB install. I currently have 2 Cheap RGB controllers from amazon, http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Controller-Sensitivety-Backlight-Touching/dp/B00JQ3QOSY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424471726&sr=8-3&keywords=rgb+music+controller , but it seems that the mic always is on even if something is plugged into the audio in cable. I want to have two seperate channels of RGB's so I have two seperate colors flashing at a time. 1.jpg
Hopefully the weather will warm up soon so I can get it all calibrated to my liking and find out if I need to order these RGB controllers you have....

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
PaulyB......nice work! I remember seeing you post this earlier. You should look into a dual or multiple zone controller. I am not well versed on them, but it's probably what you are looking for. I run Exile tower speakers which can't accept led rings without losing the benefit of their quick disconnect swivel mounts. (Without heavy modification). I love Exile, but am jealous about the led rings.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Been working on the new enclosure. Because it is ported, I will be coating the outside and inside with fiberglass resin for protection from the elements. It will house a 12" dual 4 ohm Rockford P3 with an aero port.
20150220_164439.jpg 20150220_164749.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Outstanding work, sir. Why are you changing up the subs? I've been looking into ways to mount a pair of 10's, and your initial layout seems perfect.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
veedub......the two 10's were plenty loud and hit hard, but I was looking to try and pick up the lower notes a little better. I decided to give a ported enclosure a try. I'll know soon......fingers crossed.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Enclosure finished......fiberglass resin coated inside and out.
20150226_064823.jpg 20150226_064853.jpg 20150226_102354.jpg

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Drilled a couple of holes in the tower today and did some test fitting.....

20150307_113206.jpg 20150307_113150.jpg

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
rickd01.....made this mount for it. I may eventually do some custom work on the dash and move it, but this works for now.20141222_085329.jpg