• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My latest mistake

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like what this guy did but even more over the top with some supercharged or possibly turbo engines??????

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2005-sx230-upgrade-exterior-wrap-new-interior.9976/
Funny! this is exactly what I was thinking, too.

But I would be super mad with the seller. If you are selling a wreck just don't give detailed info.
Everyone knows what "needs TLC" etc. means, but this bullshit with the guy writing a detailed, carefully crafted listing, even showing pics of a gelcoat scratch to make it look like an honest lisitng, that's what gets me.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Man, I feel for you...I hate it when sellers misrepresent/outright lie in their descriptions of what they are selling. The first red flag is selling for or could not repair for "health reasons". This is a common sales ploy to make you "off guard", sympathetic toward the seller. Most people think they can repair what other's "health issues" have kept the repairs from happening. It almost happened to me in Nov. after putting down deposit, but the word was "widow" and looked at 204 pictures on a Popyachts add. The one picture missing, that would have kept me from putting a deposit down and driving 5 hrs. to Bridgeport Conn. was missing, which was a rotten hole in the cabin floor (sole) you could stick your foot into with too much water in the bilge. Had been in the salt water for 3+ years without being hauled out. Boat was advertised as "dry", broker lied. We got our deposit back. Lesson learned, never buy used sight unseen and never trust a broker.

Those spark plugs are ugly. I'd say their representation was a lie and many other items misrepresented or intentionally not mentioned. It is clear from your post that if you were able to view in person, you would have walked, or not bid near that amount. But on the brighter side, if anybody can fix it, you can...if you are still motivated. It will take some time and even more beer. Good luck the rest of the way, keep us posted.

Edit: Finish the Thing first! Lovin that

Last edited:

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think before I bid, I would have assumed the worst and figured how much it would cost to repair the worst. From there I would have set a highest amount that I would pay prior to bidding.

Did you ask him any questions prior to bidding? Did you ask any forum members that live close to the seller to check it out?

To me the hull of the boat looks to be in great condition, and he represented the boat to possibly need engines. I saw the eBay ad when it was listed, and whenever I see assume the worst, I assume the worst. I do agree about the spark plugs, they do not look new at all, maybe one looks less old, but regardless, he stated the engines would not turn over and the owner believed the engines to be locked up.

I bought this boat https://www.copart.com/lot/31528447/ for $7,200 believing that it would need motors, I am sure that the one you have looks to be in much better condition.
Wow, sorry everyone but was in Vegas for EBay Open as a finalist for Ebay business of the year. Have not even read all the posts on here but does not everyone realize this boat sold for I think it was $7500? This was a project boat 100% and not advertised as anything but. This post says it all and did speak with Walt several times about how I had zero time to go through the boat at all.....

This boat started out in Florida and was bought by the guy I was selling it for from Michigan that had bought it. I had spoken to him twice on the phone about if I would be interested in buying it and told him I did not have any time (as I told Walt) to even touch the boat until the Winter as my meat and potatoes are online parts new but always when the Winter rolls around I have more free time to work on my own things. Mind you, this guy was also 80 years old and had sell boat due to lung cancer and I had told him I would help him list the boat and help him sell it; he would need to take some good photos and send them to me and at no charge I would post them for him.....

Now fast foward a week after that last phone call. All of the sudden, I get a call from the owner all the way from Michigan stating that he is here and where should he bring the boat. At first, I had to have him explain who he was and after he did, I was at a loss and shocked but had him meet at my storage to drop boat off. I have a carrying cost of $100/month on a boat that size and told him I did not have any time to mess with the boat but would go ahead and list it. I had her out on the very next on a Sunday to have my son clean it off and give about a 15 minute inspection. I had no time to pull pump, etc to determine anything beyond what was written in perhaps the worlds longest description in ebay of all time on what my thoughts were.

I was also open to sending any pics or videos if requested and agian, spoke to Walt on several occasions and explained all this as well. Now, I see the pics of the filters posted on here but there are no oil leaks and I am not suprised at all at seeing some corroded oil filters and that doesn't suprise me at all but my concern when spending 15 mins assesing is was there perferation on oil filters as is somewhat common, and there was zero oil in hull. As far as plugs, I believe I stated that I checked 3 spark plugs and they looked brand new; to the point I did not even check any more as I felt the owner had recently gone through and changed them. In hind sight would I have checked all of them?? No, because I had very little time to spend on it and the plugs I looked at were BRAND NEW looking and assumed (as anyone would, that they were all going to be new) The only reason I even mentioned that the plugs looked new in Ebay listing was when I see new plugs, I mention it becuase to me, anyone can put new plugs in there and make it look misleading. If I was was trying to mislead and knew the other plugs had corrosion, would I have not changed those too??? Yes, there were engine pics and seat cover pics on ebay.....and attached.

I believe Walt's main question was why was I not keeping it and as I told him, I have zero time for a project or any other work that what I do online and that I already bought a Winter project in a 2007 Nuatica jet drive tender with fxho engine; I told him I even bought that this past winter and have not even been able to touch that, and by the way only has 34 hours with a newer running engine, just needs cables and detail but has sat all year and won't get touched until this winter. To keep this 2006 Sx230 would cost me another $90/month in storage and among other things, the time to do so. I really was kicking myself on what do with this boat as I felt like it was in good (not great) shape and 2 winters ago I bought a similar 2005 SX230 project knowing the engine were bad and interior was black, cables were all locked etc but ended up being a home run in that it ended up only have 60 hours. I ended up selling that boat for $17500 last August and knew regardless of the outcome of the engines on the 2006 sx230 boat in question, it would be a win too.....

Now did I think it was going to go north of $7000? No, I fealt like it would go for around $5500-6000 but the reason I am replying to this particular post is what Pauly B paid for a boat on Copart in "much worse condition". This boat in running condition is worth $16-17000 and was bought for $7500 with a mint factory trailer that I personally have wished I could have bought at times in need for atleast $2000. The boat shows really and well and did not even get polished or wax other than my 18 year old son (and we know how they clean cars) wash it. Consdering everything, What does anyone on here think it should have gone for?

And as far as being crafty or sneaky, I have had 100% feedback and have stayed top rated on ebay for over 5 years straight. I wish this old man battling cancer did not drive 1300 miles without my knowledge but I was not going to tell him to turn around but that I would spend a couple hours on it cleaning it and listing it for him but my opinion was 100% in the description and after reading the ebay I am not sure I would change anything. This was not advertised as a running boat and every little issue that I could see was mentioned in ad. The boat sold for $7500 and is worth around $10000 more than that.

As far as Walt and misleading him (and I still have no beef with him) and nor have I read any futher on this thread, but was it mentioned that I allowed the boat to be picked up before his personal check cleared? As I told him on the phone when he asked if the uship guy could get it (on a Friday night I believe) is that the check had still not cleared but that I was willing to trust him as he done the same favor for me; if I was trying to lipstick a pig or mislead him there is no way a crook would have let the boat leave BEFORE IT WAS PAID FOR.

As far as not being able to see boat on ebay, I realize ebay has a glitch on their sight and when you go to completed listing, they show a new listing (not mine) to try to show you similar active listing but I will be posting the description later in listing so that if anyone can help me see what the issue was, please do so. That is NOT something done on my behalf

Attachments

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Man, I feel for you...I hate it when sellers misrepresent/outright lie in their descriptions of what they are selling. The first red flag is selling for or could not repair for "health reasons". This is a common sales ploy to make you "off guard", sympathetic toward the seller. Most people think they can repair what other's "health issues" have kept the repairs from happening. It almost happened to me in Nov. after putting down deposit, but the word was "widow" and looked at 204 pictures on a Popyachts add. The one picture missing, that would have kept me from putting a deposit down and driving 5 hrs. to Bridgeport Conn. was missing, which was a rotten hole in the cabin floor (sole) you could stick your foot into with too much water in the bilge. Had been in the salt water for 3+ years without being hauled out. Boat was advertised as "dry", broker lied. We got our deposit back. Lesson learned, never buy used sight unseen and never trust a broker.

Those spark plugs are ugly. I'd say their representation was a lie and many other items misrepresented or intentionally not mentioned. It is clear from your post that if you were able to view in person, you would have walked, or not bid near that amount. But on the brighter side, if anybody can fix it, you can...if you are still motivated. It will take some time and even more beer. Good luck the rest of the way, keep us posted.

Edit: Finish the Thing first! Lovin that
Read below but description in ebay shows that I check 3 plugs and they all looked brand new; to the point where I mentioned that they looked brand new and had been changed and told ZERO about the state of the engines. If I was trying to mislead why would I have not changed all the plugs? Ofcourse in hind sight would I have looked at the other ones? Yes but given the same scenario again I would do the same error again.

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll preface this with some relevant, although not important information. I fix VW's. Alot of them. Have for a long time (20+ years), and I'm quite good if I do say so myself. It's my love, my passion, my career. I buy ALOT of VW's sight unseen as I've gotten quite good at diagnosing most problems by reading the seller and judging what they presume to be the problem, and I know the market and everything about them very well. I don't buy so much to flip/profit off of, but I get off on resurrecting the unfixable and breathing new life into tired, neglected cars.

With that said - I've been venturing more and more into jet operated machinery. Again, the passion and love drives me, but I learn more often than not that I have not spent 20+ years wrenching on these and I'm learning alot as I go. My latest acquisition (a 2006 SX230) popped up on here a few days before Bimini. On ebay, no reserve, so I watched it. Somehow, someway, I remembered when the auction was ending one evening while in Bimini. I rushed from the infinity pool back to Dirk's condo as it was closer and I had the wifi information saved. Beer likely had alot to do with it, but I made it to wifi in time and won the auction for $7500. Took a couple weeks to get the payment settled and get her shipped, but she finally landed here about a week and a half ago? And she brought her good friend reality with her too.

Now, I talked to Jon on the phone multiple times. Texted a bunch. Probably emailed. And of course, studied the description numerous times. I'm not often taken. I've waited what I consider a reasonable amount of time before posting with a hot head, and now my feelings haven't changed much. I'd like to present the facts I was given, and give you most studious readers some pictoral evidence of my findings, and let you be the judge and see if I'm just that naive and stupid.

<thanks if you've made it this far!>

Minor quibble, but I sure didn't expect the boat to have been sitting for years. With a registration expiring 9/16, who knows the last time this thing actually ran. Lie? No. Misleading, I think so. You? Had I known this boat had been sitting 3-4/more? years, it would've changed things dramatically. Again, minor quibble, but bears mentioning.

View attachment 79696

Ok, but maybe, especially since the filters are so visible, mention something about their condition?

View attachment 79697 View attachment 79698

Oh boy. Seriously? Pictured is the order I pulled them out. From cylinder 1-4, starboard engine and then port. In that order. Can anyone tell me which 3 plugs look new?

View attachment 79699

Batteries (neither) had any charge, but that's to be expected. The Perko switch was thrown in the compartment unhooked from anything, not expected, but it's used. I didn't buy a new boat. I know this. One battery was hooked up, other wasn't. I get it, testing. Totally understandable, but maybe I would've taken a little more care and pointed approach to a proper diagnosis. The positive cable where it hooks to the port side ECM box was visibly burnt off (not to mention the ECM box was hanging on the wall with one loose bolt), information that I know for sure I'd be telling a prospective buyer.

Some other things that I'd probably list (particularly if my business was in the jetski/boat parts business so I probably know them REALLY well!). All hose clamps are loose, as if someone was prepping for engine removal. Not like, I'm digging into stuff and happen to notice, but open the engine hatch and all these excessively loose clamps are staring at you loose. Many bolts missing (including at least one engine mount). And, these pics tell a few stories too:

View attachment 79700 View attachment 79701 View attachment 79702 View attachment 79703
Read below but description in ebay shows that I check 3 plugs and they all looked brand new; to the point where I mentioned that they looked brand new and had been changed and told ZERO about the state of the engines. If I was trying to mislead why would I have not changed all the plugs? Ofcourse in hind sight would I have looked at the other ones? Yes but given the same scenario again I would do the same error again.
I will admit that in the bright light and out in the open they are not brand new but #5 and #7 do look un-run to me and I was also under a covered storage with plugs in engine compartment. If I was trying to pass one over like an unscrupulous seller, I would have changed all the plugs at a whopping $2.50 a piece. The point I was making is that the plugs I pulled looked good enough and had been changed; there was zero info in my mind I was trying to pass other than they looked like (in my opinion in the darker light) they had been changed and engine had NOT been run with them in there.

This one is a bit on me in that I wished I had checked all the plugs but I feel like I would have done and have done the same thing over and over. I checked them to see corrosion etc, and when I saw 2 or 3 that looked newish, I fealt like there was ZERO info to be gained because the plugs had recently been replaced.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ARE YOU F@CKING KIDDING?
Which three looked new to you?
upload_2018-7-28_11-27-13.png

--

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My boat also started life in Florida then in Mississippi.
Yes, Bruce bought my boat/my dads boat and it is the only YJB that we have had that was purhased new (less than year old anyway) and every other boat I have owned or sold was bought non running. I think he can attest that was a fair transaction but I think you also forgot to mention there was that leak on the shift or steering cable that I had recentley replaced before you bought it?

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What pictures were in the EBAY ad? Did it show the engines at all? Did it show the seat damage?

If the seat damage/missing parts etc weren't disclosed I'd contact EBAY to arbitate it.
Pics from EBay listing. I also asked for any other pics if requested as you can only put so many on ebay

Attachments

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What state did you buy the boat from? For some reason I didn’t think you got it from Florida but I could be wrong. If it didn’t come from Florida then yes I would say the whole thing was a lie as there is no way someone sent that from Florida to another state to be checked out. Seems more likely the person you got it from did the same bought it thinking they would fix it up realized it wasn’t worth it and passed it back off as something it wasn’t. Even if it came from Florida no way someone who is a known seller of these things is putting there selling rep behind something like this unless they are trying to recoupe from a loss.
Pic attached, but as I explained over the phone, the boat was from Florida originally (as shown in pics clearly) but seller bought it and lived in Florida. He had it titled and registered in Michigan but never applied the numbers as he got lung cancer (poor guy is around 80 years old) before he could get it running. Then he drove all the way down to South Mississippi (without my knowledge) for me to sell; that is why it has Michigan title/registration for trailer, etc.

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pic attached, but as I explained over the phone, the boat was from Florida originally (as shown in pics clearly) but seller bought it and lived in Florida. He had it titled and registered in Michigan but never applied the numbers as he got lung cancer (poor guy is around 80 years old) before he could get it running. Then he drove all the way down to South Mississippi (without my knowledge) for me to sell; that is why it has Michigan title/registration for trailer, etc.
I would contact eBay, and see what they have to say. My wife use eBay to sell items, and items must be described in detail, if something is not “ as described” eBay will contact the seller to make things right, specially if this guy uses eBay regularly.
I always say buyer beware. I check everything out in person. If i bought something on ebay id probably fly out and examine it and examine it. I wish you the best. I got burned on my boat, but now i know a lot about the mr1! Feel free to ask questions about disassembly. If you can do the work yourself you might be looking at 2-4k per engine if they are in bad shape but the heads and block are intact. Or put it back up on ebay with the same language and pictures.
I also told Walt if he needs engines I can get him a reman SBT engine at cost as I am top 3 SBT dealer. I say very clearly to assume engines are bad. I do sell on EBay and was just in Vegas for Ebay Global seller of the year.
What pictures were in the EBAY ad? Did it show the engines at all? Did it show the seat damage?

If the seat damage/missing parts etc weren't disclosed I'd contact EBAY to arbitate it.
Yes, pics were there and I believe I stated the tops cushions need to be replace or the blue repaired.

Attachments

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Yes, pics were all clear on interior. I fealt the bottom cushions were good, top cushions atleast needed to be restitched and or blue carbon fiber replaced as it was a bit burnt.

Attachments

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@veedubtek Sorry that happened to you. This is unacceptable.

I remember looking at the ad here in this forum! the ebay link is no longer available - replaced by a different boat/model
https://jetboaters.net/threads/ms-2006-yamaha-sx230-for-sale-ms.18254/#post-312976

SOB totally misrepresented/lied about this boat - clear from we can see above!
Yes, the ebay posting was carefully crafted with pics showing some of the issues like ripped up upholstery and gel coat scratches, but NOT any of the REAL issues (as shown above).

Could he have missed those? Hell no. This guy is in the business of selling boats! He knows what he's pushing.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-yamaha-jet-boat-nautica-tender.18253/
The description sounded very honest/knowledgeable, too bad it looks like it was all a smoke screen!

I do not know the law and ebay regulations to know if anything can be done...

But for God's sake - @Administrative please ban @Jon Gottschalk from advertising here - posturing for a jetboater to push junk, unless he can make this situation right, somehow.

--
I do NOT sell boats for a living, I sell new jet ski/jet boat parts. The only reason this was listed on here was I fealt for the guy when he showed up at 80 plus years old and had just driven 1300 miles. He had just gotten over lung cancer and I fealt like helping him out. I had asked for him to send me pics of the boat to list for him; instead he drove 1300 miles a week later unannounced. I have never listed on here nor advertised that I sell Jet boat products and respect JBers right to sell their own things on here. Many of you have bought parts from me yet I have never hussled on here to push a product until this gentlemans boat showed up. He literally had driven down here with his wife and I had know idea. They were so sweet and old and cute I was not going to not help them sell this boat and sell to the best of what I could see.....in the zero free time.

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
And to let everyone see the listing and also make their own judgement (and the phone calls that Walt and I had). Please note I was trying to help this guy out that showed up at more. I have never posted on here except to help this guy. I think the biggest thing is I clearly state assume engines are bad and even with that this purchase was for only $7500 with a mint trailer, boat looks great, cables good. All statements were my opinion and I stick with them....I also let him take the boat before it was paid for on a Friday evening knowing his personal check had not cleared nor was it going to until the following week. I don't think anyone being dishonest would ever do that and for that matter, I don't think anyone on here would EVER let their boat go before payment clearing regardless. I trusted Walt as he trusted me as I felt everything was done in 100% good faith. Anyway here you go:

THIS IS A NO RESERVE AUCTION!! HIGH BIDDER GETS IT! BOAT IS FOR SALE LOCALLY THOUGH AND CAN END AUCTION AT ANY TIME UP TO 24 HOURS PRIOR TO END OF AUTCION. PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO CALL PRIOR TO END OF BIDDING WITH ANY QUESTIONS.....
UP FOR AUCTION IS A 2006 YAMAHA SX230 TWIN 140 HP MR-1 ENGINE JET BOAT. THIS BOAT WAS BROUGHT TO ME FOR INSPECTION AND/OR REPAIR. OWNER STATED HE THOUGHT MOTORS WERE LOCKED UP AFTER DE-WINTERIZING BOAT. HEALTH ISSUES PREVENTED HIM FROM LOOKING AT IT SOONER AND WAS BROUGHT TO ME LAST WEEK (6.10.18)
UPON INSPECTION OIL WAS CLEAN AND NO WATER VISIBLE. SPARK PLUGS WERE LOOKED AT(3 TOTAL) AND LOOKED GOOD AND NEW; PERHAPS CHANGED RECENTLY...BATTERY HAD GOOD CHARGE (12.5 VOLTS). PORT MOTOR BATTERY CABLE WAS FOULED AT TERMINAL AND MANUALLY CONNECTED. PORT ENGINE ROTATED ABOUT 1/4 ROTATION AND LOCKED UP. UPON INSPECTED JET PUMP APPEARED TO BE GOOD BUT HAD DIRT BUILD UP. I DID NOT SEE A SWELL MARK IN JET PUMP HOUSING AND IMPELLER AND HOUSING LOOKED LIKE NO WEAR BUT WAS DIRT/GRIME BUILD UP THAT POSSIBLY WAS BINDING IMPELLER. I TRIED CLEANING WITH HOSE BUT DID NOT CHANGE RESULT. MY OPINION WAS JET PUMP NEEDED TO BE REMOVED/INSPECTED BUT ENGINE COULD BE BAD. PLEASE ASSUME THE WORST. NO CASE DAMAGE OR OIL IN HULL AND CASES ARE GOOD AS FAR AS MECHANICAL DAMAGE.
STARBOARD ENGINE RELAY JUST CLICKED. I DID MANUALLY ARC THE STARBOARD STARTER AND GOT NO LIFE FROM STARTER AT ALL. WAS NOT ABLE TO DIAGNOSE STARBOARD MOTOR AT ALL DUE TO THIS; ASSUME MINIMUM BAD STARTER AND/OR GROUND CABLE AND ALSO POSSIBLE BAD ENGINE. KEY DID POWER RELAY WHEN TURNING KEY BUT THAT WAS.
INTERIOR IN FAIR CONDITION WITH SOME STITCHING COMING UNDONE IN SOME SECTIONS. I HAVE HAD MY OWN SX210 BOAT CUSHIONS REMOVED AND REPAIRED SOME CUSHIONS JUST LIKE THIS THAT WERE COMING APART. SOME OF THE BLUE CARBON FIBER IN FRONT IS SUN DAMAGED A BIT. I PERSONALLY WOULD REMOVE THE DAMAGED AREAS AND HAVE ONLY THE BLUE SECTION REPLACED. I CAN SEND PICS OF MY SX210 THAT HAD THE EXACT SAME ISSUE AND BEFORE AND AFTER PICS. THERE ALSO IS SOFT SPOT WHERE PEDESTAL TABLE MOUNT IN COCKPIT IS. APPARENTLY THIS IS TYPICAL IN THE 2003-06 YAMAHA JET BOAT AT THE PEDESTAL AS YAMAHA DID NOT SEAL MOUNT AND WATER WOULD SEEP IN THROUGH CUTOUT INTO FLOOR.
THERE IS ALSO A DISCOLORATION AREA PICTURED IN LAST PHOTOS. I AM NOT SURE WHAT THAT IS ABOUT BUT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE A REPAIR AND I WET SANDED WITH 1500 GRIT AND DID CLEAN UP IN THE SMALL AREA TESTED; ALMOST SEEMS LIKE A BURNT AREA MAYBE FROM A FOR SALE SIGN? ALSO, THERE ARE 4 SMALL GELCOAT CHIPS IN LAST PICS. THESE AREAS ARE CIRCLED IN RED.
CONTROL CABLES: STEERING IS EFFORTLESS AND CAN BE USED WITH ONE FINGER. SHIFT/REVERSE IS STIFF BUT IS NOT FROZEN AND DOES FUNCTION, COULD PROBABLY BE LUBRICATED AND FURTHER LOOSEN UP. THROTTLES ARE FREE AND NO STIFFNESS.
TRAILER IS IN EXCELLENT SHAPE AND APPEARS TO BE FRESH/BRACKISH WATER USE. SURGE BRAKES WORK EXCELLENTLY AND JUST MADE 1100 MILE TRIP. NO WORRIES ON TRAILER AT ALL (ALTHOUGH BUNK CARPET LOOKS LIKE IT COULD USE REPLACING AT SOME POINT; SEE ZIP TIES IN PHOTO).
DOES HAVE FACTORY CARPETS BUT NEEDED TO BE CLEANED. I WOULD SAY FAIR CONDITION BUT NEED TO BE PRESSURE WASHED/CLOROX CLEANUP. ALSO HAS BLUE COVER IN FAIR CONDITION WITH A TEAR IN MIDDLE OF COVER BUT COULD BE REPAIRED. I HAVE PICTURES OF BOTH CARPET AND COVER IF NEEDED UPON REQUEST; NO MORE ROOM ON HERE.

BOAT IS AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING WITH APPOINTMENT ONLY. ALL STATEMENTS ARE MY OPINION BUT, AS ALWAYS, PLEASE ASSUME THE WORST. THANKS AND PLEASE ASK ANY QUESTIONS BEFORE AUCTION ENDS, NOT AFTER. JON (228)424-4829.

Attachments

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am sorry for not replying earlier as it looks as though this has been a one way road and all have already made up their minds, but my reputation is everything. I also wish Walt had reached out about any concerns directly but the first I am hearing from him is to look at how I have been roasted on here....I don't have jetboaters linked for messages to my email so was not aware of all this until now. I have to be completely honest too.....the engines were not at all my biggest concern on the boat as I assumed they were in need of repair and they did not have any oil in hull, holes in cases and were perfect for reman motors at $1695 each. Walt had even stated he had done a project boat I believe where he had replaced motors. My biggest thing was the spot circled in red as I could not figure out what was going on there and the soft spot in hull after reading post on here about that. I still am not sure where Walt is seeing he got shafted on this deal. If it was Winter time I would have kept it myself if did not already have the Nautica Jet Tender

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So an 80 year old guy with lung cancer on his death bed drug this thing from Florida to Michigan back to Mississippi not gonna lie man this whole thing sounds crazy to me. I wasn't there so all I can do is take your word on this but man I sure hope when you hear yourself saying this you understand how crazy it all sounds. I mean why in the hell would he tow it to Mississippi to have to have you sell it instead of just listing it in Michigan? As an extremely high rated ebayer why would you take the risk of listing an item you knew nothing about that's the even crazier part of this story to me as the only way I could see you doing it is if you had a stake in doing so.

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Funny! this is exactly what I was thinking, too.

But I would be super mad with the seller. If you are selling a wreck just don't give detailed info.
Everyone knows what "needs TLC" etc. means, but this bullshit with the guy writing a detailed, carefully crafted listing, even showing pics of a gelcoat scratch to make it look like an honest lisitng, that's what gets me.

--
Super detailed description? Write nothing at all? Do you really feel as though it was slide of hand when I am showing a questionable area in blue circled that easily would not have been seen in photos? What about the soft spot by interior pedestal? Again, was that too much detail? This are not "scratches" or pointing out little things to mislead; these are bigger issues that were disclosed and "detailed" as you stated and would NOT have been noticed or shown up in photos unless I pointed them out. The plugs are corroded and that was missed by me as I only checked 2 or 3 plugs and they looked as thought they were replaced; that being said was there anyone who did not think the motors needed to be repaired or even replaced after reading the description? I fealt like the plugs were irrevalant and only reason I mentioned them as they looked as thought they had been replaced after any issues and were misleading as they had been replaced. Why would I not change the plugs to new plugs if I did not in fact think they werent already if I was trying to deceive? How about a little deductive reasoning here?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would like to summarize some of the points that I believe are agreeable.

1. The boat was listed as possibly needing engines and or jet pumps.

2. This boat does not have HO engines decreasing the value.

3. With similar vintage but excellent condition AR230 HO models selling in the mid teens this boat sold for an amount at which Walt will lose money on the restoration.

4. This boat sold for more than the value of the usable parts.

5. The sale was an auction, Jon did not control the price.

6. The spark plug condition either changed rapidly or was misrepresented.

7. The battery condition either changed rapidly or was misrepresented.

8. Other items such as the oil filter condition and last registration date were overlooked in the ad.

@Jon Gottschalk, did you act as a broker or did you sell the boat to @veedubtek?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@veedubtek I do see a simple solution here though. If @Jon Gottschalk is willing to sell an item and put his eBay reputation on it for some random 80 year old guy. Surely he is willing to relist the exact same post just changing the location to yours and resell it for you if you do not wish to mess with it or if you feel the item was not as described to you.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@veedubtek I do see a simple solution here though. If @Jon Gottschalk is willing to sell an item and put his eBay reputation on it for some random 80 year old guy. Surely he is willing to relist the exact same post just changing the location to yours and resell it for you if you do not wish to mess with it or if you feel the item was not as described to you.
I bet @Jon Gottschalk is moving on.

Next listing: as an agent for someone who's deployed overseas.

--

Jon Gottschalk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would like to summarize some of the points that I believe are agreeable.
1. Accurate on engines and or jet pumps

2. Never stated HO engines and obvious it is the 140 engines.

3. Sold my 2005 last August for $17,500

4. I did not control the price nor do I agree sold for more than price of parts but Walt and 1 or 2 other people determined that.

5.Same as 4

6. Spark plugs did not change rapidly, they looked to have been rusty for some time, the 2 (I did say 3 in ebay listing) but reflecting it was 2 on STBD side that looked "new" in the sense that they had been changed and cleary had not been firing while boat was going. It was darker and they were shiny enough looking to me that I did not even bother to look. If I was misrepresenting the $2 spark plugs (they did not all of the sudden rust like other plugs) I would have changed them out.
7. Battery was good; or atleast 1 had a 12.5 reading with my meter. It was not connected to perko and I connected to test. I then disconnected so it would not drain down. I would always assume batteries were bad when buying a project boat. My point was there was enough charge to evaluate quickly state of things.
8. Never stated last registration and last registration expires in 2 years I believe. Registration shows nothing and I did not state registration was current unless showing transfer of owenrship was ready. I also sent Walt a couple of screenshots of all the MICHIGAN paperwork prior to end of auction. Ill attach those later. Oil filter, while rusty, did not perferate. Thats all I care about as obviously I would not keep any oil filter regardless of how good it looks. Does walt think I was trying to not show the filters to show they are still good? They are rusty on the outside but did not fail.

Bruce, thanks for chiming in and playing ref here as I know that is a pita.

1. The boat was listed as possibly needing engines and or jet pumps.

2. This boat does not have HO engines decreasing the value.

3. With similar vintage but excellent condition AR230 HO models selling in the mid teens this boat sold for an amount at which Walt will lose money on the restoration.

4. This boat sold for more than the value of the usable parts.

5. The sale was an auction, Jon did not control the price.

6. The spark plug condition either changed rapidly or was misrepresented.

7. The battery condition either changed rapidly or was misrepresented.

8. Other items such as the oil filter condition and last registration date were overlooked in the ad.

@Jon Gottschalk, did you act as a broker or did you sell the boat to @veedubtek?