• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My take on Fins

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just got the NEW Mega Fangs Plus in today (thanks @Cobra Jet Steering LLC , Jeff for the quick ship) and installed them. Here's a pic of them, two observations they are more forward and lower than the older version of the MF's I had on before, so I am anticipating an improved performance from a great performing system I had on previously. Will be on the water on Sat. so I will post my thoughts compared to the other MF's.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
magnum ak with mega fang plus 1.jpeg magnum ak with mega fang plus.jpeg magnum ak with mega fang plus 3.jpeg A few of the new mega fang plus with the magnum ak steering on a 24 foot Yamaha sent today from a member after he finished installing the system. Now I need one with the regular mega fangs so you can see the difference in positioning. also I have no idea how I have them showing so large but I did locate a couple of pictures
the top pictures are the regular mega fangs and the other 3 are the new mega fang plus if you look at the position of the mega fang plus it is obvious the fangs are exposed to more water by being lower in relation to the ride plate magnum ak with mega fang plus.jpeg magnum ak with mega fang plus 3.jpeg magnum ak with mega fang plus 1.jpeg

Last edited:

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just got the NEW Mega Fangs Plus in today (thanks @Cobra Jet Steering LLC , Jeff for the quick ship) and installed them. Here's a pic of them, two observations they are more forward and lower than the older version of the MF's I had on before, so I am anticipating an improved performance from a great performing system I had on previously. Will be on the water on Sat. so I will post my thoughts compared to the other MF's.
Really looking forward to your assessment. I'm in a similar situation contemplating an upgrade of my original fangs to mega fangs plus. If I'm investing more time and $$ on another design change, the juice better be worth the squeeze. Good luck!

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We will be out tomorrow, so I will have a review up by the afternoon if not before! I really do anticipate an overall improvement just by the way the fangs are now placed ahead and lower, so we will see.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just got back from a great day on the gulf and have our opinion on the NEW mega fangs plus. From the dock, reverse was responsive and handling was improved. On plane a big difference in handling, the steering seemed lighter and tighter, did some hard turns left and right and a quick stop from 30 mph, turns were smooth and responsive, quick stop and the lack of a big wash around loss of control was about the same as with the older model fangs. Water on the bay was a very light chop but lots of boats so lots of wakes to cross and we really felt an improved ride and handling. Manuvering at slow speed to get to an anchorage was nice and responsive, reverse to set the anchor again was improved. On return to the dock slow speed to the dock was about the same as before, however it was a busy dock area so my wife had to drop me off and move back out until I retrieved the truck, she commented that the boat handled better than before. So as @Cobra Jet Steering LLC (Jeff) had alluded to there has been improvements. We are happy with the NEW fangs and will keep them on . We will try and sell the old set, for someone else to try. The Viper NK's system has been such a night and day improvement in our boat we are greatly satisfied.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for taking the time to report back on the new mega fang plus added to your viper nk.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
FLBulldogger-- Thanks for the detailed report! Sounds like you had an improvement with the new fangs. I see you have the Viper fins, I wonder if I would get the same results on my boat with Ultimate fins?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I won't speak for @Cobra Jet Steering LLC (Jeff) but I really think your fins are what the new fangs were built for, just looking at the new pictures on where the fangs come into play IMHO the Ultimates and Magnums should benefit the most...

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, that could be the case. I really couldn't get much out of looking at the website. Maybe someone with Ultimates will take the plunge and post up some results down the road. Glad to see they worked out for you.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@merlinjet That could be you after all the parts are guaranteed so if you don't like them and you return them within 30 days no problem! I also have 4 fully completed sets of the A K Ultimates for people who are adventurous and want to see how those work on a 21 or 24 foot keel boat.
Ultimates are spring loaded and adjustable plus selectable so you can keep them down at speed or have them go up at speed, You can set the fins at several levels or even stagger the fins with the outside fine up higher than the inside fins , Or set them all the way in the water all the time. Get off power steering also. Made of 6061-t6 tempered aluminum . The mega fang plus are compatible with these or the lateral thrusters will also fit if that's your preference.

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, that could be the case. I really couldn't get much out of looking at the website. Maybe someone with Ultimates will take the plunge and post up some results down the road. Glad to see they worked out for you.
Just took the plunge. Will be testing on ICW while on vacation. Good testing platform. Currents, boats, and possibly some big wake. Will be 2 weeks unless I can get time next weekend at the lake.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I also have 4 fully completed sets of the A K Ultimates for people who are adventurous and want to see how those work on a 21 or 24 foot keel boat.
Ultimates are spring loaded and adjustable plus selectable so you can keep them down at speed or have them go up at speed, You can set the fins at several levels or even stagger the fins with the outside fine up higher than the inside fins , Or set them all the way in the water all the time. Get off power steering also. Made of 6061-t6 tempered aluminum . The mega fang plus are compatible with these or the lateral thrusters will also fit if that's your preference.
Sir I remain intrigued with your products. I was truly hoping for not such an ipsilateral conversation and more of a well-spread wealth of information to be supplied here however I must admit that I am interested in your AK Ultimates.
Prior to committing I want to check with you to see if you believe that is the best option for my boating needs. I boat solely in brackish/salt water and deal constantly with tides, waves and swells from larger boats. (Orange Beach, AL area/ICW)

What are your thoughts?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The magnum ak system is smaller than the ultimate ak system, the magnum ak system has less features than the ultimate ak, the magnum ak will provide all the steering at all speeds from calm water to rough water especially when adding the mega fangs so I would feel it safe to say the bigger and badder ultimate system should shine even brighter in all those areas.
You may wish to wait for some reviews from people who try them . Or you can add the magnum ak system, plenty of reviews on those . It's one of those things that you need to consider all the options .I am waiting for feedback myself. I also need to make installation instructions and videos . So if you are not mechanically inclined it may be better to wait. Or go with the magnum ak system .

Schilljr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
That's my 2017 Yamaha 242 Limited S E series (red/black). From what I understand I am the first with the Magnum AK and Mega Fins Pus. I wanted to do a quick write up on the product after successfully getting them installed and running on them for 2 days.

First and foremost, Jeff is one of the nicest guys I've ever purchased anything from. He was so helpful on the phone with the ordering process and the installing process. Seriously, I can't believe he stayed on the phone the whole time I turned every bolt and tightened every nut.

That being said, the install was quite difficult. If it wasn't for Jeff's guidance and assurance I don't think I would have even attempted the install, in fear that I would take my boat accidentally out of commision. Only have 6 weekends left this season and I would have just waited for the dealer to install them or stayed stock. I'm really happy with the boat and have o issues handling it stock.

The main thing I noticed after the install was that it helped tremendously with "bow wondering". The boat stays much straighter now than stock without having to constantly correct with steering. I noticed this effect at both high and low speeds. In my opinion, that alone was worth the money and time to install.

Secondly, I noticed that I could make sharper turns with less speed loss. Before installing the system I never really tried to make crazy turns and do figure 8's around buoys, because who needs to do that on an average day. I will say that this particular weekend (after the install) several dams near the Chesapeake Bay were opened to prevent flooding from heavy rainfall, which put a lot of debris in the water on the way to places we were visiting. The Cobra system made it much easier to make sharp turns to avoid debris than stock. Very nice feature to have when you need it!

Lastly, reverse. I never really used reverse before the Cobra system because I knew I didn't have reverse. Lol. I was able to reserve in an out of several anchoring/docking positions at low speed over the weekend. Nothing too crazy, just slow speed maneuvering that would move the boat in the direction I expected in reverse. Its still nothing like a prop boat but I feel that I can put the boat in reverse and get the desired result. I really want to get out there and mess around with the 2 throttles independently and see what I can do. To be honest, I really just avoided reverse before and I need to practice to see what the boat is capable of now.

All in all, very happy with the purchase as it has some clear advantages over the stock setup. One thing is definitely for sure, I would not hesitate to buy another product from Jeff. I really can't emphasize enough how patient and helpful he was throughout the entire process. Thank you

View attachment 79819 View attachment 79820 View attachment 79821 A few of the new mega fang plus with the magnum ak steering on a 24 foot Yamaha sent today from a member after he finished installing the system. Now I need one with the regular mega fangs so you can see the difference in positioning. also I have no idea how I have them showing so large but I did locate a couple of pictures
the top pictures are the regular mega fangs and the other 3 are the new mega fang plus if you look at the position of the mega fang plus it is obvious the fangs are exposed to more water by being lower in relation to the ride plate View attachment 79820 View attachment 79821 View attachment 79819

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There a lot of comments in regards to the performance of the Cobra products...

What is everyone's thoughts on the Thrust Vectors, and why one system is better than the other. I am really interested in getting some fins this off season and would like to hear differing thoughts on the matter.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

What is everyone's thoughts on the Thrust Vectors, and why one system is better than the other. I am really interested in getting some fins this off season and would like to hear differing thoughts on the matter.
@Bennie here is my 0.02

You will get low speed/no wake benefits from either system. Everyone likes this:
The main thing I noticed after the install was that it helped tremendously with "bow wondering". The boat stays much straighter now than stock without having to constantly correct with steering. I noticed this effect at both high and low speeds.
But this is Cobra territory:
Secondly, I noticed that I could make sharper turns with less speed loss.
I LOVE it.
The new 240 hulls are already pretty good curving. With Cobras, like AKs, you will be thrown off your seat if you turn hard and are not careful (and the boat/pumps are well tuned).

I'm still on the fence as far as Lateral Thrusters. LTs boost lateral thrust at the stern, something that BRP boats and Yamaha skis w/RiDE do out of factory. Supposedly, LTs do not penalize the reverse but do not boost it either (strait reverse). Fangs boost strait reverse somewhat. Getting most out of my reverse is a priority where I boat, so Fangs are it for me for now.

--

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you @swatski.
Boating in coastal waters I am constantly working against tides. Those get especially difficult in no-wake zones and extra difficult at docks.
Hence why I was looking at the LTs so that I could hope to not kiss the dock as much as I have... fingers crossed.

I like the more robust material of the Cobra product, as well as the additional tie-rod end running to my articulating keel. But as stated before at low speeds (where my problem lies) there is little difference between the products. And unless I am looking at it wrong aren't the JBP Thrust Vectors larger (in square footage)... providing more of a "keel" effect?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It would seem to me that the lateral thrust enhancers would have zero effect when off throttle. Whereas the Cobra stuff may give a slight rudder like enhancement when off throttle.

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Just took off my thrust vectors and should be installing the new Ultimate AK system w/the mega plus fangs this week.

Just to be clear. The thrust vectors did their job. They did help with low speed maneuvering. I had no complaints about the vectors as pertaining to what they are designed to do. My boat recovered more quickly at no wake speeds when maneuvering the boat. No changes in anything above no wake speed. Product looked great. Had the red color to match the bottom of my hull. Installed easily.

I decided to try the cobra jet fins due to the overwhelming reviews of high speed tracking and improvement at all speeds with handling. After I install the ultimates I will post a review of them. Will try to get in the lake with them this weekend, but it might be 2 weeks when I am breaking them in at the ICW at North Myrtle Beach.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would seem to me that the lateral thrust enhancers would have zero effect when off throttle. Whereas the Cobra stuff may give a slight rudder like enhancement when off throttle.
Lateral thrusters are a reverse only enhancement. No affect good or bad in forward