• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need for extended warranty

Mark Goulas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello All,
Just purchased my first boat a few weeks ago and trying to decide on the extended warranty the dealer offered. I purchased a new 2019 AR240. They offered an extended warranty through:

"RPMONE which is accepted at all major and or qualified repair shops across the country. Its done threw Interstate National Dealer Services INC. "

What are other owners thoughts about an extended warranty in general and has anyone had any experience with the above company in particular?

Thanks,
Mark

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never heard of them. Sounds like that is not the YES (Yamaha's extended warranty). So no Yamaha behind that one (for better or worse). But it also means that it would be important for you to get the policy documents to see what is excluded and what other terms there are (for example, some require pre-approval before work is done, or require you to first take it to certain providers, or require a deductible). You will want to know all of that before making your decision...

Generally, I have found very little reason to have extended warranty on my boat. That said, if you get hit with something like the timing chain failure or the oil cooler issue... Then they really become worth it. In the normal operation, I have not had those issues and no other 'little' issues that would have justified my YES (which I did get and never used at all).

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Warranties are like boat/auto insurance, what’s your take on and how do you feel about insurance in general? Do you need either when something happens? Sure you do. Do we need them when nothing happens, of course we don’t and some can’t resist the feeling it was a waste of money while others feels it is worth it for the peace of mind. To each their own.
If having warranty makes you sleep at night, then get it. But like @tdonoughue said, make sure to do your due diligence. I bought YES for my 2018 Yamaha Waverunner but I never used it. Therefore, I did not buy it when I bought the 242X-E boat for the fact I didn’t need it on the waverunner. Yamahas are solid boats and IMO generally have less issues than other brands. But, things do happen and when they do, we all wish we had insurance or warranty. Or we wish we had higher coverage, Or we wish we had better warranty that didn’t have this exclusion or that exclusion?

So long story short, do what makes you comfortable and if you decide to purchase it, make sure your understand what you are signing up for. Good luck!

Last edited:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It is very questionable if extended warranties are worth it. But I can tell you from personal experience....DO NOT use some 3rd party "Extended Warranty". I had one for several years, then they went out of business....I had no recourse. You probably wont need one, so take the money that you would spend on that extended warranty, put it in a maintenance savings account and draw interest on it !

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We bought it.... not sure if it was worth it or not, but got a good price and figured for 5 years of peace of mind it was worth it to us.

but we made sure it was YES, probably wouldn’t do a third party one

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If it's 3rd party it ain't worth the paper it's printed on.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s not true in all instances. My dealer discouraged YES because they get frustrated waiting on Yamaha to approve repairs. During my walkthrough the mechanic pointed to a ski and said “that’s been siting there 2 months waiting on Yamaha to approve the warranty work.” He told me they’ve been selling the 3rd party warranty for >15 years and have a good relationship with them. Said when he diagnoses a problem he sends them a parts list and usually has approval same day. So I bought a 6 year 3rd party warranty from my dealer. By the way, the finance mgr showed me what they make selling this warranty and it was a small and reasonable profit.

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello All,
Just purchased my first boat a few weeks ago and trying to decide on the extended warranty the dealer offered. I purchased a new 2019 AR240. They offered an extended warranty through:

"RPMONE which is accepted at all major and or qualified repair shops across the country. Its done threw Interstate National Dealer Services INC. "

What are other owners thoughts about an extended warranty in general and has anyone had any experience with the above company in particular?

Thanks,
Mark
You have a full year to decide if you need the YES warranty. We decided to run our boat for the first year to see how it performs. Then make a decision on YES before the factory warranty expires. Stay away from 3rd party warranties. They go out of business then your stuck.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I bought the Extended warranty on my 2016 AR192. At 70 hrs, the timing chain snapped and destroyed the engine. All was replaced under warranty. However, have put in 2 additional claims for smaller issues and both were denied. Mainly, they conveniently don’t cover blemishes. My argument was the dash that started to bubble was defective material. “Denied”, second was flaking on bottom on small area of boat after marina shop acid washed it. “Denied” was considered a blemish. I figured after a total engine failure, and being denied the few times I had a legitimate claim I’ll take my chances! What is the sense of coverage when they deny coverage? So I have to pay the warranty and the repairs at the same time? Like the boat, just not the corporate service. Was told that surveys that are filled out only reflect on the shop and not Yamaha corporate.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I personally wouldn't buy anything but a YES warranty. If they stand behind the 3rd party and that's the only dealer you'll every go to, then it might be worth the risk. I got the 5 year extended warranty due to the electrical gremlins that seem to plague these new boats. When I get close to the 5 year mark of it expiring hopefully I can get a new boat, or maybe the wife will finally let me upgrade to a proper surf boat.....unless yamaha comes out with a stellar surf package that includes 4k lbs of ballast stock.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do not buy an extended warranty from a third party operator. A dealership who is cut in on referrals will of course, say good things. As an attorney involved in these messes, I disagree. When I bought my last vehicle, the dealership tried going 3rd party on me (they didn't even bother to offer the factory extended warranty) advising how much better it was than their own brand extended warranty. I declined. Just a few weeks ago, I filed suit against this third party carrier (on behalf of a friend) for a covered repair that they decided in their infinite wisdom was not covered. These 3rd party "warrantors" operate on the premise that they will make you go through hoops and then won't cover the repair, because the poor consumer won't want to spend several grand in litigation; thus, they win. That is, until they run up against one of my friends, as I take on these cases pro bono (as well as on principal) and enjoy defeating these scumbags in court. My Yamaha came with a YES and I never used it. I bought the boat used and it transferred. I never used it in the 3 years I had it, but it's an insurance against risk. Your call. I'd pass. Or at least wait the year and feel it out before making the jump. EDIT/ADDITION: By the way, they always slide in a "mandatory arbitration" clause in the contract, to further screw you. Contrary to popular opinion, arbitration is much more costly than a civil court proceeding. So here is another "gotcha" they will get you with. Usually, at least in my state, I can get this clause tossed out when the defense tries to dismiss the case and kick it back into arbitration.

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do not buy an extended warranty from a third party operator. A dealership who is cut in on referrals will of course, say good things. As an attorney involved in these messes, I disagree. When I bought my last vehicle, the dealership tried going 3rd party on me (they didn't even bother to offer the factory extended warranty) advising how much better it was than their own brand extended warranty. I declined. Just a few weeks ago, I filed suit against this third party carrier (on behalf of a friend) for a covered repair that they decided in their infinite wisdom was not covered. These 3rd party "warrantors" operate on the premise that they will make you go through hoops and then won't cover the repair, because the poor consumer won't want to spend several grand in litigation; thus, they win. That is, until they run up against one of my friends, as I take on these cases pro bono (as well as on principal) and enjoy defeating these scumbags in court. My Yamaha came with a YES and I never used it. I bought the boat used and it transferred. I never used it in the 3 years I had it, but it's an insurance against risk. Your call. I'd pass. Or at least wait the year and feel it out before making the jump.
Unrelated......you were in the NFL and now an ACC Replay Official? No idea why I hadn't read that prior to now. Guess just the placement of your post on my monitor had that portion eye level.

haolegirl70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is very questionable if extended warranties are worth it. But I can tell you from personal experience....DO NOT use some 3rd party "Extended Warranty". I had one for several years, then they went out of business....I had no recourse. You probably wont need one, so take the money that you would spend on that extended warranty, put it in a maintenance savings account and draw interest on it !
A maintenance savings account! What a great idea.