• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 2015 Models

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not even going to try and guess, I'm just going to troll the shit out of my local dealer to get all the details until they have been announced ;-). It's exciting, even though I have a brand new '14 and I'm super happy with it.

Last edited:

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I heard they are placing a huge rudder in the center of the hull so it drives like a stern drive, funny I have been placing rudders on jet boats for over a decade and they drive better than a stern drive, low speed assistance only is rather boring in my opinion, high speed assistance is a blast, ever watch some of my jet ski videos , it is wild, the high speed control is amazing .

Not trying to start a fight here, but your claim that your rudders are better than a stern drive is simply not true. Actually not even remotely true.

Coming from an i/o boat to a jet boat with your cobra steering, I can say with 110% certainty that my Yamaha does not even start to compare to an i/o when at no wake speed. Do your fins help with slow speed steering? I'm sure they do. Do they make the boat more controllable than an i/o? Absolutely not.

We went out for a cruise last night on the Ohio River near Cincinnati. I told my wife that the one thing that I missed most of all about our last boat was the ability to put the boat in gear and "cruise" down the river at 3 or 4 mph while barely holding the wheel. I have even went so far as taking measurements from the swim platform table mount to the back of the boat in hopes of fabricating a rudder that I could install for slow speed cruising, and take out for running on plane.

The good news is that all of the benefits of owning a jet boat (including price, draft, not worrying about the kids jumping on a prop, space in the boat, a huge swim platform, and most importantly ease of maintenance) far outweigh the negative handling characteristics of our boats. But I for one would LOVE to see some type of retractable rudder system on the new 2015 boats.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not trying to start a fight here, but your claim that your rudders are better than a stern drive is simply not true. Actually not even remotely true.

Coming from an i/o boat to a jet boat with your cobra steering, I can say with 110% certainty that my Yamaha does not even start to compare to an i/o when at no wake speed. Do your fins help with slow speed steering? I'm sure they do. Do they make the boat more controllable than an i/o? Absolutely not.

We went out for a cruise last night on the Ohio River near Cincinnati. I told my wife that the one thing that I missed most of all about our last boat was the ability to put the boat in gear and "cruise" down the river at 3 or 4 mph while barely holding the wheel. I have even went so far as taking measurements from the swim platform table mount to the back of the boat in hopes of fabricating a rudder that I could install for slow speed cruising, and take out for running on plane.

The good news is that all of the benefits of owning a jet boat (including price, draft, not worrying about the kids jumping on a prop, space in the boat, a huge swim platform, and most importantly ease of maintenance) far outweigh the negative handling characteristics of our boats. But I for one would LOVE to see some type of retractable rudder system on the new 2015 boats.
^^^^
^^^^Wow!! And Kapowee!!! That just got said!

We actually had TV XL s on our boat... Nice assistance in the Beginning. .. We took them off after a month when we figured out the low speed mode.

And No, the boat did not handle near as good as a Sterndrive around the Dock or Low speed.

I did handle better than my MasterCraft around the Dock and tight spaces.
Hopefully this New 2015 system will be the key.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree. I can handle my boat pretty well, but it does not handle low speed situations like my previous Crownline - even with the TVXL's.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Comparing I/O's, inboards, outboards, and jet drives - each 1 of of them has certain pros and cons. You definitely have to adjust to each one.
But as for slow speed drivability - nothing drives better than a twin prop Bravo 3.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For the record a Yamaha jet boat equipped with my ultimate steering in the fully deployed mode will drive circles around a stern drive at low speed or at wide open throttle.. TV steering has no ability to add high speed assistance so that isn't even close to what my ultimates can do remember the ultimates do all sorts of things that other steering just can't do. SO I STAND ON WHAT I SAID it will turn on a dime and maneuver around without cavitiaing as a stern drive would do. JUST stating the facts. I doubt you had a jet boat equipped with the ultimate steering.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the record a Yamaha jet boat equipped with my ultimate steering in the fully deployed mode will drive circles around a stern drive at low speed or at wide open throttle.. TV steering has no ability to add high speed assistance so that isn't even close to what my ultimates can do remember the ultimates do all sorts of things that other steering just can't do. SO I STAND ON WHAT I SAID it will turn on a dime and maneuver around without cavitiaing as a stern drive would do. JUST stating the facts. I doubt you had a jet boat equipped with the ultimate steering.
I will agree with you that a Yamaha jet boat can turn on a dime, but that has more to do with the design of a jet boat than the design of your fins. I can turn my Yamaha 180 degrees within the length of the boat. Your fins probably help with this maneuver, but they are not the sole reason that enables it.

However, I am talking about straight line driving in long no wake zones. I/O vs Jetboat equipped with Cobra Ultimates, the i/o will win EVERY TIME, hands down.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Jeff - we all know what your ultimates can do. They are impressive. Your Ultimates and Will's XLs each have their bennies! I still prefer my TVXL's , but to each their own right?

We are talking about slow speed drivability. And weather it's equipped with your Ultimates or the Xl's - they simply will NOT handle slow speed situations like a twin prop Bravo 3. No f'in way. Maybe it is you who needs to take the helm of a new Cobalt and judge for yourself.
Me - I'm around inboards and I/O's every single weekend. Like I said - they each have trade offs.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was referring to the handling at speed in the original post that I said the low speed was boring to me but the high speed handling was what I personally liked, in any event The ultimate steering will make a 24 foot jet boat drive like it's on a rail and totally out maneuver any stern drive boat simply turning sharper, faster and with no slipping or sliding in hard turns. A jet boat can certainly out maneuver a stern drive at slower speeds with the fins added it does it in an even tighter area. So I stand on what I originally said. It was a statement about maneuverability.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went from a 22' Cobalt with a duo prop and power steering to a 24' yamaha with cobra ultimates. There is absolutely a difference. Both boats list to one side or another, the cobalt lists one side to another because of the duoprop (this happens in all Volvo duoprop outdrives) and makes them hard to track exactly straight without minor course correction.

I will say that with no wake mode enabled my wake looks bigger at 5mph than w/o no wake mode, but I can also say that my Cobalt at 5MPH was putting off 2x the wake that my Yamaha does. So comparing hull design of a deep V hull in a cobalt to a not so deep V of a Yamaha plays into how well it holds a track. I don't think the skag/rudder with outdrive makes that much of a change for me, except for getting use to the absence of prop walk (not really present in my cobalt due to the counter rotating props, but for sure is there in the Bayliner)

My Cobra Ultimates are fully deployed. With little/no adjustment, I can hold a line better in my Cobalt than I can w/ my Yamaha. Both require course correction. My Bayliner w/ a single screw and prop walk offset fin (the adjustable fin behind the screw on the outdrive) handles a straight line even better than my cobalt does. That said... I hate driving the Bayliner at anything above an idle (handling sucks), and Cobalt ... well B.O.A.T. has an entire new meaning with Cobalt.

If I were to compare my single screw duoprop Cobalt to my two screw Yamaha... I can control my Yamaha better than I can control my Cobalt, but that's because of the two engines and I know that. Where my cobra's help so much more than anywhere else is at idle or coming out of gear. Love my wife to death, but she treats the boat like a car. Turn right means I should go right, right? not without fins it doesn't. Those 4 small rudders that I have make a world of difference for low speed handling.

Would a retractable rudder change things for me? ... probably not to the point everyone is making it out to be. So going slow under power, trimmed all the way down you have a 8-12" rudder with an I/O - you have 4*3" rudders (they seem about 3" under the hull) with Cobra's or TV's. To me that's a wash, the hull design is the bigger difference. On a plane towing a boarder, I absolutely course correct on my Yamaha more than I do on the Cobalt... but if I trim up (like I should) in the Cobalt, it's again a wash between the two.

Drive what you like and have fun with it. Unless you're one of the few that knows what's coming (and those who do will never tell until it's time), speculating is only for fun sake so there's no sense in getting too worked up over it all.

Fuel to the fire: Deployable rudder.... rofl. You thought the old scupper was a problem, how many boats will this sink? :)

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Since the thread title s 2015 Models, does anyone have info on new models from Scarab, Glastron, etc? Any news on other companies entering the market?

10 Days @0627Devildog

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since the thread title s 2015 Models, does anyone have info on new models from Scarab, Glastron, etc? Any news on other companies entering the market?

10 Days @0627Devildog
= ). . . . . I am secretly hoping everyone on here is disappointed with any new amenities, and that the 2015 is priced significantly higher (maybe even have a few newb's buy a first year model run only to deal with recalls). . . . . Just so I don't feel like I should have waited. I know. . . I am EVIL. :devilhorns: But they call me DevilDog for MORE than one reason.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length

10 Days @0627Devildog
I think Scarabs 2015 consists of a 16' model. I can't imagine huge changes from Scarab or Glastron (other than quality I hope), since the design is so new.
Chaparral has their larger models coming out late this year, and will most likely be branded as 2015.

I just wonder how long it will be until my wife lets me upgrade...

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think Scarabs 2015 consists of a 16' model. I can't imagine huge changes from Scarab or Glastron (other than quality I hope), since the design is so new.
Chaparral has their larger models coming out late this year, and will most likely be branded as 2015.

I just wonder how long it will be until my wife lets me upgrade...
I don't have to wonder. . . . I was told "Be sure about this Yamaha, because it BETTER last 10 Years or you go without a boat until that time."

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In the teaser video, he is driving a single motor boat. :( I hope they did something fun to the entire lineup.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
In the teaser video, he is driving a single motor boat. :( I hope they did something fun to the entire lineup.
I thought that at first, but at the last couple of seconds it looks like 2 motors, Maybe or maybe not.

I would think about upgrading to a single engine 21' if they ever do come out with it.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went back and watched the video to see about a single engine. For me, it is hard to tell for certain. But my first gut instinct was that was a twin engine. I could be wrong, but after watching it a second time too, it still appears to me this was a twin engine. Again, I could be wrong.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went back and watched the video to see about a single engine. For me, it is hard to tell for certain. But my first gut instinct was that was a twin engine. I could be wrong, but after watching it a second time too, it still appears to me this was a twin engine. Again, I could be wrong.
Looks like a single Jet to me. . . . .the tower is definitely new. More like the scarab. . .

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is absolutely no question I could be wrong. Here is what made me believe it was a twin engine:

untitled.JPG