• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 252SD steer cable broke, LONG delivery, Help!

Tim Riley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My son took his new (last year) 2021 Yamaha 252SD out and as soon as he was backing away from the boat ramp, the steer cable broke for no apparent reason. Now, Yamaha says they will not have that cable for months and can't even give a date. Summer is here in Florida. Need a simple cable. Any body have ideas on where to get one? From the suppliers I have spoke with, they say it is too new to have in stock. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Where did the cable break? A picture would be helpful.

I'm not very familiar with the hardware used in your boat, but you may be able to re-attach the end if that is where the failure was. I think these are mainly run without pulleys and are run through a tube. Chances are also good that the cable and "sheath" are replaceable by off the shelf components. (I've no idea, it just makes sense that they would be.)

I am not sure this kind of modification is going to be warranty friendly, but it might get you back on the water.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you know the length, then you will have a better chance of finding one other than oem.

Tim Riley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did the cable break? A picture would be helpful.

I'm not very familiar with the hardware used in your boat, but you may be able to re-attach the end if that is where the failure was. I think these are mainly run without pulleys and are run through a tube. Chances are also good that the cable and "sheath" are replaceable by off the shelf components. (I've no idea, it just makes sense that they would be.)

I am not sure this kind of modification is going to be warranty friendly, but it might get you back on the water.
I did not get a picture because he took the boat back to the dealer before I could see it. Good idea though.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
newer...... just a simple AR210 :)

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
napa makes them here in the keys... they are usually just off the shelf seastar...

Tim Riley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
napa makes them here in the keys... they are usually just off the shelf seastar...
Where is that NAPA located? I wonder if they can make one up with out having the old one. Yamaha does not have any in the united states or Japan and don't know when they will.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I said they "make" them that was not completely correct.. they can have them made and stock common sizes... Im not sure if all NAPA stores do it but here NAPA makes custom battery cables and hydraulic hoses, they stock outboard steering cables and ... it helps greatly to have the old one. the parts manual says they are the same port and starboard.. standard SeaStar fair.. other newer yamaha boats use them too starting in 2019 with the 275 series get the boat back pull the other cable off and order a couple...
they are a common problem with Jet boats... even pressure lubing the cables with Gear oil they still fail on occasion... usually they rust off just inside the through hull..

if you don't know the length of the cable your gonna have an issue.... did you try west marine? or marine parts source?