• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Gts 187 here

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You need to press them for a new boat ASAP. Summertime's a wasting.

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Well the rep from Glastron tells me they dont do that. They are willing to try and make the repairs but the option of replacement or buy back they dont do.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
What about your marina/dealer? Will they put forth the effort to make things right?

If anything, I would accept the repair, but have in writing some sort of extended warranty on the area against future cracking, including spider cracks.

Not sure what they will to about the steering issue. they are taking it up state to look at it, but are aware of the issue but may not correct the problem?

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That sucks! My condolences, what a nightmare. Maybe try the Better Business Bureau?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with everyone here. You need to make sure you get the backing of the company, not just the dealer with this boat. I honestly dont think you will have an issue after you get the boat back. Hang in there man.

Well the rep from Glastron tells me they dont do that. They are willing to try and make the repairs but the option of replacement or buy back they dont do.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wow I am glad you are getting answers.
As I suggested when you talked to me it sounded like a power hook situation in the hull and I also had dealers contacting me from other boat manufacturers who went to sea doo power plants and pumps actually complaining of the same pull to the left during both acceleration and deceleration just as you experienced.
I told them of your situation also. When they fix that hull you may need to get a consumer lawyer to help you get them to compensate you for the lost use of the boat and a guarantee that the repairs will be guaranteed for the life of the boat. Also if the boat is financed, contact the bank and tell them of your situation, often the lender has lots of clout with the manufacturer because they don't want to loose the lender.

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Well I just got back from dropping the boat off at the dealer. I'm not interested in being the test boat to see if they can figure out what they did wrong.
If they want to replace it with another boat fine. I didn't spend my money to have it not run properly from day 1. I'm not into adding material or removing material from a brand new boat to try and fix it. Plus the extra work in fixing the transom on top of that. Since I brought this boat home the wench bolt broke and stripped the gears out, the snap in carpet in front of the ski locker has pulled thru the fiberglass, the constant pull to the left and now multiple cracks in the transom. No thanks. I have owned the boat for 1 month. It has 10 hrs on it. I rest my case judge. I would be interested in finding out what other manufacturers are having the same problem.

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have to say that sounds like a really, really frustrating/discouraging experience so far. Looks like it's been at the dealer about a week? Any word on what the path forward is going to be?

As someone who's shopping now/soon for one of the Scarab/Glastron/Chapparal cousins, I'm concerned both as a potential customer, but mostly just as someone who can empathize with the joy-turned-frustration that this experience must be.

Interested to hear how things go and hoping they treat you fairly.

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I would stay away from Rec Boat Holdings period. They have similar problems with the scarab lines also. I am not impressed with the dealer or manufacturer. I wish I could back up the last month and never bought what I did. Maybe the 207 is better but the quality is not here. Plus I'm finding out resale is pretty low also.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glastron isn't having a good start in the jet boat business based on this thread. If they want happy customers they need to get serious about their design fault and replace your boat. It's simply the cost of doing business and that would be good business from a reputable manufacturer.

As it is if they don't settle this their name will be tarnished on this board. Sales will suffer.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't had any issues with mine thus far. Im telling you man, I would threaten them with a lawsuit. You just need a replacement boat. I have 20 hours on my boat so far, and its been nothing but fun on the water.

I would stay away from Rec Boat Holdings period. They have similar problems with the scarab lines also. I am not impressed with the dealer or manufacturer. I wish I could back up the last month and never bought what I did. Maybe the 207 is better but the quality is not here. Plus I'm finding out resale is pretty low also.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Plus I question the resale statement on a boat line that has been available for ~3 months. Granted nobody expected the value to increase, but if you were looking to flip the boat the same summer I am not sure of any line that wouldn't take a hit.

Granted, had I known then what I know now, I most likely would have ponied up and gone to the Scarab. Similarly, you can't buy a Chevy Malibu and complain that it isn't a Cadillac.

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I had a dealer offer me 20k for the boat when looking at trading it in on a 2013 Moomba. What a joke.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
That is right in line with the NADA value on a $25k list boat.

For fun I went to a 2014 Mastercraft ProStar with a list of $68k and it showed the low value as $49k, so you could be happy in the fact your boat didn't drop $20,000 in value....

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
On the trade statement the boats MSRP was 35k with all of the option's. So to say its work 20k from a boat point of view is crazy. I work in the car business and we have the base price of the vehicle then the MSRP with all of the option's on the vehicle. So when I book out my boat it shows 33k for High retail and 30k for average.

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I can't believe how much these boats tank after you buy them. I thought the car business was bad but this is a joke.

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
No dealer will give you that. Especially a boat dealer. Look at it this way.... Would you buy a used boat with 10 hours on it? I myself would ask questions on why it was traded or sold. In my book you have 2 options man. Keep it, and wait, or try and get another boat. Its a 40K investment, I would be to the point on catching a plane to MI.
Yes I would. We have customers that trade every year. Average miles per year on a car is 15k. So if we compare this to a boat, what that's around 30 hrs a year and you can trade Gm trucks for 6-7k per year. If GM would do away with the rebates it would be even less. Boats don't have rebates so the answer to this issue which I found out today is you don't get credit for any options on your boat the go off of the base msrp.

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As someone who'd be inclined to outfit my new purchase pretty heavily, I have to agree that would be a really tough pill to swallow.

Things like ballast tanks, premium stereos, tower speakers, DECS controls, docking/underwater lights, etc. intrinsically add value to the boat.

I'd say let's see what the dealer and manufacturer offer to do for you, and at the very least they need to make the warranty repairs. Then you'd be free to keep/enjoy, or sell on the open market.

Regarding a 10-hour sale, I agree that people buy and sell new things all the time. Divorce, job loss/relocation, changes in family health, finances, etc etc. Boat was too big/too small/too awesome, wife wanted red, whatever.

Life happens, and for every one of us who wants that new car smell, there's another looking to save a few thousand bucks and tell his buddies what a clever deal he got on eBay/craigslist/wherever.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I did a quick google search, and the results seem to indicate that nobody comes out ahead when trading in a boat.

I think the options at this point really are:
1) to have the boat fixed, use it for a while, enjoy it, then upgrade at a point when maybe it isn't so gut-wrenchingly awful for you,
2) take the hit, dump the Glastron and get the Moomba that you desire (Just understand that you may not be getting a perfect boat there either [http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/72272.html?1057602923]),
3) or lastly continue to complain about the poor trade in value on what is essentially a luxury item.

Summer is too short as it is to spend it worrying about depreciation. I would, at the very minimum, use the boat for the next 2 months, and spend the winter trying to sell it, knowing the best luck will be next spring when everybody has a hardon to get back on the water.

Last edited:

mrlanemeyer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the exact same issues with my SeaDoo Challenger 210 S. The boat pulled extremely hard to the left where I had to hold the wheel at 3 to 4 o'clock to get the boat to drive straight. Due to this the boat would barely even turn right and most of the time when trying to turn right the boat would just keep going straight and come off of plane. It also had an issue where if you shifted weight in the boat while planing the boat would make a very sharp 90 degree turn to the left. SeaDoo was able to fix the sudden turn issue by raising the angle of the jet from 0 to 4 degrees. It didn't fix the hard pull to the left but it did make the boat drive considerably better. They were then able to shift about 150 pounds of weight to the left side of the boat and tweak the steering a bit to get the boat running mostly straight but it never felt right. Ultimately I sold it after 1 season. Even though it was driving OK it felt like it was fighting against itself and got terrible gas mileage. SeaDoo was the same way with us, they wouldn't consider replacement and it took pulling teeth to even get them to try to fix the issue. Good luck with you issue and sorry I don't have better advice for getting the manufacturer to replace the boat. As much as I hated selling a boat after 1 year I am much happier with the new boat.