• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New RV but have engine choices. Opinions?

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We are looking at a new RV and need some opinions.

Currently we have a 36' Class A with a Ford V10. It was a little sluggish on hills with our old boat and our new 212 Limited is twice the weight.

Now to the new ones we are considering.

The first in a 30ft Class C with the Ford V10. The spec sheet says it has 420 ft-lb torque
The second is a 24ft Class C on the Mercedes Chassis with a 3.0 ltr diesel rates at 325 ft-lb torque.

The dealer says that the Mercedes chassis would pull the boat better.

Anyone want to chime in on this?

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
one is gas the other is diesel. I prefer diesel however you are losing a considerable amount of living space with the 25 footer. I also think you would get better milage with a diesel. We have F250 6.7 Diesel that I use to tow our 25 ft AS and love the fact that I do not even know it is back there.

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
one is gas the other is diesel. I prefer diesel however you are losing a considerable amount of living space with the 25 footer. I also think you would get better milage with a diesel. We have F250 6.7 Diesel that I use to tow our 25 ft AS and love the fact that I do not even know it is back there.
I agree that a diesel would be better, but didn't know if a 3.0ltr v6 would be enough.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check with other diesel owners on the same platform to be sure. I hear there is a before and after new emissions that have been a gigantic pain in the rear. Gas has its advantages.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Having driven both a Sprinter with the 3.0 (older model) and a Ford van with the 6.8 V-10, there is quite a difference in the torque. Granted, these new small diesels are the rage, but once you get to highway speed torque is no longer king, horsepower comes into play. If I’m trying to pass or merge with extra weight on board I want that V-10 with 3 times the HP of the little diesel.

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thank you. That's what I need to know. I have never owned a diesel of any sort but thought the 3.0 was a little small.

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dude stay the hell away from the Mercedes Platform. I had a 2013 I built to live out of on the road as a traveling photographer and they are very finicky. Check engine lights, they don't like to idle, the DEF system is a Pain in the ASSSSSSS. My friend who is a certified MB master mechanic said he would personally choose anything in the Ford platform over the MB just because the maintenance and cost of ownership is expensive and I couldn't agree more. Oh and in stock configuration the tow rating is 5,000 on the 2500, not sure what the 3500 is in stock configuration, but with the weight of an RV build out, I would be it isn't much. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
More great information, thank you.

I wish we could get a diesel in a Class C without going with the Mercedes but the real next step up (which is what I’d love to do) is a Jayco Seneca which starts around $199,999.00. That's way north of our budget.

Am I missing Class C’s with diesel motors besides the Mercedes/Sprinter model.

Rustynuts

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One big complaint that I see on the RV forums on the Mecedes based Motorhome is the extremely low Occupant and cargo carrying capacity (OCCC), some models are as low as 1000lbs and this includes people, food, cloths and stuff. The Class A will be better for OCCC but I have driven the Ford F-53 Chassis and it’s not we’ll know for its handling characteristics without mods. When we upgraded we went with a Super C and driving and towing is night and day over our old Class A. We ended up with a Jayco Seneca and couldn’t be happier.

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
When we upgraded we went with a Super C and driving and towing is night and day over our old Class A. We ended up with a Jayco Seneca and couldn’t be happier.
The Seneca is a bout out of our reach but that would be our choice if it were possible.

Rustynuts

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
More great information, thank you.

I wish we could get a diesel in a Class C without going with the Mercedes but the real next step up (which is what I’d love to do) is a Jayco Seneca which starts around $199,999.00. That's way north of our budget.

Am I missing Class C’s with diesel motors besides the Mercedes/Sprinter model.
You don mention budget but there are some good deals out there on used Senecas, even back to the Topkick chassis Senecas which people love. The only othe style of class c with a diesel is the ones that use a Ford Truck chassis, there are several companies making them now.

Attachments