• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Speed Control / Electronic Throttle Synch For Twins / Ridesteady by Hydrophase

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hate to jack the thread guys, but, does this work as well on the singles? I know the synchro is out the window but all the other benefits sound amazing.. Is there another identical discussion on the 190/192/195 users?
Yep. If in doubt call:
Justin Muessig
Hydrophase, LLC
jmuessig@hydrophase.com
512-524-8686
He is amazingly helpful and most responsive.

EDIT: I see that @J-RAD beat me to it, lol.
--

cj3737

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Excellent.. Thanks guys.. Look like im gonna have to save up some money for all the new toys im gonna have to put on my new toy when momma lets me have it... :)

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent.. Thanks guys.. Look like im gonna have to save up some money for all the new toys im gonna have to put on my new toy when momma lets me have it... :)
This one won't take much convincing... it's "kid (husband) tested mother approved" and gluten free... I testify that Ridesteady by Hydrophase saves marriages. Buy it for love, everything else is a bonus... Holy Moses amen! ;):D

@swatski you take the next one brother!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This one won't take much convincing... it's "kid (husband) tested mother approved" and gluten free... I testify that Ridesteady by Hydrophase saves marriages. Buy it for love, everything else is a bonus... Holy Moses amen! ;):D

ROTFL.

--

cj3737

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

At $1400, itll take a bit of convincing, but if I can throw kid safety in there somewhere she wont have an issue....
Maybe something like a super duper extra safety cutoff that wont allow the boat to get out of control if something goes haywire...

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At $1400, itll take a bit of convincing, but if I can throw kid safety in there somewhere she wont have an issue....
Maybe something like a super duper extra safety cutoff that wont allow the boat to get out of control if something goes haywire...
It is a bit of a tough pill to swallow at that price, but comparable it the competition, and after owning it for a season I can say it's worth an extra dime... Way cheaper than a divorce... Where you haven't purchased your boat yet, you may have the option of having the dealer include it in the purchase and despite the relatively simple plug and play install, you might enjoy having them install it as well.

I could make a good argument for it's safety... Any time my wife is behind the controls I feel safer having it. ;) Really though... It makes anyone at the controls a better operator. When the system is engaged you can throw the throttle down and the Ridesteady takes over to control the power curve right up to the set speed, giving a safer and more consistent ride to the person behind the boat. If the throttle were somehow bumped during a ride, the system keeps it reigned in and maintains the set speed. As soon as you pull back on the throttle, the system disengages. It will make anyone operating the boat into an instant pro wakesports driver.

On a different topic: Please excuse me while I digress. I see in your info you are from Northern Utah, I'm from a Utah county. One thing these boats suffer from is loss of RPM due to elevation. My recommendation, if you're shopping for a 19' yamaha boat to use at our elevation, would be to spring for the 195 model. Although I don't have personal experience with the 19' boats, I know there are many, even those operating at sea level, that wish they better performance from their 190. I think you'll enjoy the performance more having the SVHO on board and it may save you down the road with less modification requirements to be content. @swatski is a good resource, with a number of threads on his mods to his previous 19' boat. If it's a concern, I suggest you do some research on the matter. Personally, I wish my AR240 had a bit more juice on the top end (despite having installed the Riva throttle body spacer). Vastly improving the top speed of these boats seems to be a mostly futile effort. I need to pick @swatski 's brain on his AR240 mods myself... But I'm spending all of my money on renovating my house right now... :wtf: Send me a list @swatski, so I know what I'm saving for. :greedy: You crack 60mph yet?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is a bit of a tough pill to swallow at that price, but comparable it the competition, and after owning it for a season I can say it's worth an extra dime... Way cheaper than a divorce... Where you haven't purchased your boat yet, you may have the option of having the dealer include it in the purchase and despite the relatively simple plug and play install, you might enjoy having them install it as well.

I could make a good argument for it's safety... Any time my wife is behind the controls I feel safer having it. ;) Really though... It makes anyone at the controls a better operator. When the system is engaged you can throw the throttle down and the Ridesteady takes over to control the power curve right up to the set speed, giving a safer and more consistent ride to the person behind the boat. If the throttle were somehow bumped during a ride, the system keeps it reigned in and maintains the set speed. As soon as you pull back on the throttle, the system disengages. It will make anyone operating the boat into an instant pro wakesports driver.

On a different topic: Please excuse me while I digress. I see in your info you are from Northern Utah, I'm from a Utah county. One thing these boats suffer from is loss of RPM due to elevation. My recommendation, if you're shopping for a 19' yamaha boat to use at our elevation, would be to spring for the 195 model. Although I don't have personal experience with the 19' boats, I know there are many, even those operating at sea level, that wish they better performance from their 190. I think you'll enjoy the performance more having the SVHO on board and it may save you down the road with less modification requirements to be content. @swatski is a good resource, with a number of threads on his mods to his previous 19' boat. If it's a concern, I suggest you do some research on the matter. Personally, I wish my AR240 had a bit more juice on the top end (despite having installed the Riva throttle body spacer). Vastly improving the top speed of these boats seems to be a mostly futile effort. I need to pick @swatski 's brain on his AR240 mods myself... But I'm spending all of my money on renovating my house right now... :wtf: Send me a list @swatski, so I know what I'm saving for. :greedy: You crack 60mph yet?
I guess you've got the majority of them listed in specs of your footnote... I should pay more attention.

cj3737

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Buddy of mine has a 192 and wishes he had more go... Im not really interested in top speed.. more into pulling power as the lakes up here arent all that big unless we go up to Bear Lake... The 195 is definitely and option and so are all the twins depending on value. Im looking at something in about 5 years when all my debt is paid off and the kids are older to enjoy being pulled and maybe get them behind the wheel here and there... Cruise would be a great training option for that.. Ill keep it in my pocket. Plus im sure the wife would feel more comfy if she could just concentrate on driving straight and not playing with throttles...

Only reason Im looking now is so I know what to look for when the MY 15-16-17 start dropping in price... I will be on a budget so with the Hydrophase, Cobras, trim tabs and other things im considering installing, the budget is growing smaller for the boat... Im confident ill find something when Im ready. Im not limiting my search to Utah..Ill road trip to get a boat if the price is right...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Personally, I wish my AR240 had a bit more juice on the top end (despite having installed the Riva throttle body spacer).
Vastly improving the top speed of these boats seems to be a mostly futile effort.
I agree! (for N/As)
The reflash is not likely to give these boats (N/A 1.8) much on top. There is no boost to gain from revving them faster and not much timing to add at WOT if any. But, as far as low and mid-range there is lots of room for improvement. I'm about to embark on that project.:cool:

I think you'll enjoy the performance more having the SVHO on board and it may save you down the road with less modification requirements to be content.
100% agree. ESPECIALLY at elevation, I would not even look at any non-supercharged single engine. As much as I really liked my 190, the SVHO combined with the 160mm pump is definitely, positively the way to go at elevation. Pay more up front - performance mods are very costly. Unless the cost of gasoline skyrockets in the next few years, it could be a factor, the SHO/SVHOs burn basically twice as much as a N/A if you ride hard.

--

cj3737

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Im definitely leaning towards a twin... Most likely one of the 210s if I can find... the 212x would be ideal for when the kids get into some surfing but Im not holding my breath. There are a few local 212s available but currently out of my price range. The 195 is still floating around just based on the lower cost... I dont plan on screaming across a lake or even loading it up with people... Maybe 4 adults and 3-4 kids but I definitely need to be able to pull a 200+# skier with everyone on board. I know the 195 will do it but it may struggle a bit. Luckily the boat show is coming in Feb so I can get in a couple of these and see how they feel... Ive got a while to nail down exactly what I need.. Maybe I can get out with @J-RAD and see how the 240 runs next summer.

Momma is already sold on going propless as our kids have already started having run ins with the prop and trim tabs on my current floater... Just gotta keep that thing running for a few more years..

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can no longer edit the beginning of this thread, but want to update the thread with the following.

There is an new feature of the R-S, crazy awesome.
Basically, at this point this could be considered almost as a full conversion to fly-by-wire in the non-E boats compatible with R-S (any Yamaha that has APS modules):
https://www.hydrophase.com/content/updated-firmware-ridesteady-yamaha-jet-boats

Here is a different thread, on another topic, with the first mention of the new R-S capability.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/pedal-commander-throttle-response-controller-pc27.20150/#post-351097

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So where do we get the firmware update and to apply it?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So where do we get the firmware update and to apply it?
From @Ridesteady in different thread:

Yes, you would have non-sync'd throttles at < 8 MPH. This would include reverse as long as you're slower than 8 MPH. Haha, I wonder if you could even do 8 MPH in reverse...would be interesting.

The upgrade for existing owners is $75, with a deposit for the 'upgrader stick'. We'll return the deposit when we receive the upgrader stick back (we'll include a postage paid bag that you can simply drop in the mail for US customers, with a tracking number).

For those that want it, you'd just an email to info@hydrophase.com stating that you would like the Yamaha firmware upgrade and we'll respond with a Paypal invoice that can be paid online.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for doing my job for me, @ttzz! :)

@FloJet the firmware is $75 + $10 shipping. There's also a deposit that will be returned in full once we get the "upgrader stick" back. If you're interested, just send an email to info@hydrophase.com and we'll get a Paypal invoice to you.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok cool. I am very interested. I will probably wait for another month or so when I finally get back out to the boat since it has been pretty cold here lately. I don't want to have to keep the "upgrade stick" for long. Once it gets closer to warming up a little, I will send you all an email. Thank you for your help.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok cool. I am very interested. I will probably wait for another month or so when I finally get back out to the boat since it has been pretty cold here lately. I don't want to have to keep the "upgrade stick" for long. Once it gets closer to warming up a little, I will send you all an email. Thank you for your help.
Sounds great!

Chstockd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a short throttle synch demo:

Running at wakesurfing speeds, I first adjust the GPS speed and then, at about 26 sec mark I push the port throttle lever to increase the prot engine RPM by about 1,000. Note how the system immediately re-synchs the engines (without moving the throttle levers, which remain off-set)! ***

There is a limit to what the system can compensate, probably not much more than a 10-15% off-set. But that is plenty!

Here, going up and down through the three-step native "NO WAKE" cruise control with the Ridesteady OFF - no problems:
(You can see the "No wake" settings under the "MPH" at the bottom of the screen)

Here, going up and down through the five-step native "CRUISE ASSIST" cruise control with the Ridesteady OFF - no problems:
(You can see the "Cruise +/-" settings under the "MPH" at the bottom of the screen)

And finally - the torture test! (pushing the Ridesteady system to the max):

Ridesteady is ON, set for 7,770 RPM.
System tries to reach the 7,770 RPM and keeps asking for "MORE GAS"! Sorry, not more throttle left at WOT!
(7,700+ RPM Port and 7,600+ RPM Strbd, ~51 MPH)

That is pretty cool, if you ask me -- Ridesteady really has the full range!

*** In talking to Justin, I found out that I was doing the throttle synch demo kind of backwards.

Here is how he puts it (I love it):

{ I watched the engine sync video you posted – cool! It’s even more fun to bump the slave engine, as there will be less of a speed change. When you bump the master, the slave then syncs to it, which causes the speed of the boat to increase or decrease, which then requires the speed control to bring it back up/down to the set speed. If you just bump the slave (STBD, as default), only that one engine will be contributing to the speed disturbance, so it is quicker to converge back on the set speed. }

Uploading still more, check it out later...

Next up will be a video of the analog tachs when I bump the throttles. I will be easier to see the disturbance and the following sync on them rather than the digital display. That, and I will be shooting the manipulation/bumping of the slave engine RPM.
TBC...

--

Chstockd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi. New to the forum. Recently purchased a Yamaha 212S with a Ride steady system. I am struggle to learn how to use it (no owners manual). Hoping you may have run across a good “Getting started” guide or video.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi. New to the forum. Recently purchased a Yamaha 212S with a Ride steady system. I am struggle to learn how to use it (no owners manual). Hoping you may have run across a good “Getting started” guide or video.
Message Justin @Ridesteady, he'll get you taken care of with an owner's manual and answer your questions.