• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newer 24ft boat in shorlander trailer must do mod!

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Neutron @Betik @Mainah I think that makes the best sense as well. When in doubt default to the manufactures recommendation, and their recommendation and why makes sense. I'll start there, I'm just really curious now what it currently weighs from the factory having read all these varying posts.

Since this thread is discussing weight distribution, as far as aerodynamics and how it applies to this (weight distribution) I don't think I'm wrong. Yes drag is the only equation of aerodynamics that is acting upon the trailer in any state (static or in motion)......thrust, weight and lift are not. So with that said the drag profile at most affects the thrust vector (aka: the trucks engine/transmission capabilities), which has almost no notable effect, if any, on the weight distribution of the truck and trailer when comparing its state in motion to when it's static. Please don't take that as a pissing contest, arguing or trying to pull out tape measures swatski. I have learned a lot of great info from you on this site so far and I appreciate the knowledge and experience you've contributed.

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So with that said the drag profile at most affects the thrust vector (aka: the trucks engine/transmission capabilities), which has almost no notable effect, if any, on the weight distribution of the truck and trailer when comparing its state in motion to when it's static. Please don't take that as a pissing contest, arguing or trying to pull out tape measures swatski. I have learned a lot of great info from you on this site so far and I appreciate the knowledge and experience you've contributed.
We all try to learn from each other here, I only chimed in as you asked.
I do not think the above is correct, either, though. The drag (air pressure) will tend to raise/flip a camper at speed (decreasing relative tongue weight) with a dramatically bigger force, as compared to a (lower profile) bowrider boat. Again, that pressure will be proportional to the velocity squared.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Daron I like to think of @swatski etall as family where tough love is the name of the game.

Truth to be told this threat is turning to science fiction for me. I though that towing was something the average Joe can do, but at times it feels that I need to learn, Latin, Linear Algebra and Physics. Thanks God, the greekness in me does a good job to tell me whose opinion I trust and whose I dont. My tongue is now at 1,150lbs ( for winter storage) and when towing it will be somewhere close to 375lbs.

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Daron I like to think of @swatski etall as family where tough love is the name of the game.

Truth to be told this threat is turning to science fiction for me. I though that towing was something the average Joe can do, but at times it feels that I need to learn, Latin, Linear Algebra and Physics. Thanks God, the greekness in me does a good job to tell me whose opinion I trust and whose I dont. My tongue is now at 1,150lbs ( for winter storage) and when towing it will be somewhere close to 375lbs.
It's all good, I can handle tough love, lol I'm usually the one giving it. I'm retired Army, and as a result of that 20 year lifestyle I have very thick skin. I agree and am trying to restrain myself from making this thread too scientific, so with that said I'll just shut up now.:cool: The Army in me can't resist sometimes. I teach and apply aerodynamics everyday of my life as a career so I have to try to not get carried away.

I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you all some day. I am hoping to make Bimini next year.......hoping;)

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's all good, I can handle tough love, lol I'm usually the one giving it. I'm retired Army, and as a result of that 20 years I have very thick skin. I agree and am trying to restrain myself from making this thread too scientific, so with that said I will just leave it as is. The Army in me can't resist sometimes. I teach and apply aerodynamics everyday of my life as a career so I have to try to not get carried away.

I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you all some day. I am hoping to make Bimini next year.......hoping;)
Sorry if I offended you, no disrespect intended. It could also be we are in complete agreement just using the terms differently which happens all the time.
Not to dwell, and I apologize for any confusion, I took "drag" as wind drag, or air resistance. There is no question it is a major force as far as towing. Here is an example, hopefully way more articulate than my poor attempts at explaining myself! lol.
Truck towing capacity: Weight Vs. Drag

--

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This site is an incredible resource with a ton of awesome information. My wife thinks this site is also very expensive. I never noticed a tongue weight issue, outside of the amount of sag on the truck's suspension for only a perceived and estimated 10%. I'll now add it to the list of issues. While I had the boat in UT, my trailering trips were fairly short and hadn't noticed any issues outside of chewed wires, rubber grommets, transom strap and the license plate caused from my then Labrador pup/aspiring crocodile. Air pressure, lugnut torque, lights and hitting the grease zerks. The usual stuff. I just completed a move to PA and will be doing a lot longer trailering trips. Easily quadrupled all previous mileage. This trailer is a wreck! All the issues with the fenders and bouncing came to light and also another issue arose with cupping on the passenger edges of all four tires. Trailer was never swinging and stayed fairly true, probably from the aggressive tongue weight, but I can't help to think that the trailer may also be out of alignment. It made for a very stressful trip. Any thoughts?

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This site is an incredible resource with a ton of awesome information. My wife thinks this site is also very expensive. I never noticed a tongue weight issue, outside of the amount of sag on the truck's suspension for only a perceived and estimated 10%. I'll now add it to the list of issues. While I had the boat in UT, my trailering trips were fairly short and hadn't noticed any issues outside of chewed wires, rubber grommets, transom strap and the license plate caused from my then Labrador pup/aspiring crocodile. Air pressure, lugnut torque, lights and hitting the grease zerks. The usual stuff. I just completed a move to PA and will be doing a lot longer trailering trips. Easily quadrupled all previous mileage. This trailer is a wreck! All the issues with the fenders and bouncing came to light and also another issue arose with cupping on the passenger edges of all four tires. Trailer was never swinging and stayed fairly true, probably from the aggressive tongue weight, but I can't help to think that the trailer may also be out of alignment. It made for a very stressful trip. Any thoughts?
What a coincidence. I lived in UT and moved directly to PA from there as well. Good luck with those PA winters, lol. Last summer I moved from PA to AL though. You take your boat out on Bear Lake much while in UT? Couldn’t agree more, learned a lot from this forum, thus costing me more money, lol. With that said, the money I’m spending because of that is to save me money in many caes from some of the expensive lessons learned by others....so, small price to pay in the end in a lot of these cases.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Daron Yes, her maiden voyage was on Bear Lake. Typical for July, a 69 degree water temp and sudden late afternoon changes in weather. You’re not kidding about PA’s winters. I forgot how much the weather sucks. So much colder than UT and the roads here suck. Good point about the money saved from others experiences. I’ve been on here a lot recently and totally juiced about getting out this summer. As soon as I get my trailer repaired.

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Daron Yes, her maiden voyage was on Bear Lake. Typical for July, a 69 degree water temp and sudden late afternoon changes in weather. You’re not kidding about PA’s winters. I forgot how much the weather sucks. So much colder than UT and the roads here suck. Good point about the money saved from others experiences. I’ve been on here a lot recently and totally juiced about getting out this summer. As soon as I get my trailer repaired.
Yeah, Bear Lake haunts my memories. I responded to a call for a capsized boat in 2015 for a family, husband/wife and 5 kids, only the mom and two kids made it, I had to watch as the others were pulled out. That day still haunts me.

We lived in Turbotville, PA, and I worked in Danville for Geisinger. We absolutely LOVED living in PA but couldn’t handle settling there permanently for the winters alone. I love PA.

Last edited:

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You were there for that Bear Lake incident? Around Memorial Day? Wow. My neighbor worked with the father. Ski Nautique boat trying to beat the storm back? Family died from hypothermia.

I am glad to back. I grew up around the area, Wilmington to be exact. Miss the people, the restaurants and sports teams. Warmer waterways are always nice.

I’ve only been in AL once. Drove down to Maxwell AFB to pickup my wife.

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You were there for that Bear Lake incident? Around Memorial Day? Wow. My neighbor worked with the father. Ski Nautique boat trying to beat the storm back? Family died from hypothermia.

I am glad to back. I grew up around the area, Wilmington to be exact. Miss the people, the restaurants and sports teams. Warmer waterways are always nice.

I’ve only been in AL once. Drove down to Maxwell AFB to pickup my wife.
Yeah. They called me in when the search went into darkness. I was the only one who could search overwater at night with Night Vision Goggles. We found the capsized boat immediately.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I read a first hand report on the rescue effort. Volunteer spotters trying to triangulate their efforts over radios cause they could find them because of the darkness until someone with NV goggles was able to spot them. I can’t recount the details, but something like that. Wow. That would have shaken me too.

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I read a first hand report on the rescue effort. Volunteer spotters trying to triangulate their efforts over radios cause they could find them because of the darkness until someone with NV goggles was able to spot them. I can’t recount the details, but something like that. Wow. That would have shaken me too.
Let’s just say that I drank very heavily after that shift.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, I am sure you all want to know as much as I do, but I say we drop it for @Daron sake

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah. They called me in when the search went into darkness. I was the only one who could search overwater at night with Night Vision Goggles. We found the capsized boat immediately.
That's incredible...
You are a hero.

--

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry for derailing this thread. Has anyone experienced the cupping issue I mentioned above?

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry for derailing this thread. Has anyone experienced the cupping issue I mentioned above?
Yeah, I have to take the blame for the derailment actually, sorry. But no I can’t help out with the cupping problem. What brand/make are your tires?

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should rear him for @MrMoose thread on them. He had a good experience with them. If I recall correctly he got new set for free