• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No reverse on port engnie.

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Out for a day on the water, slowly approaching an island to swim and picnic, ready to anchor, anchor out, started to back down and had no reverse on my port engine. Surprised me as I thought I was applying more throttle to go in reverse, the port bucket remained open in forward. Shut the port engine down, set the anchor with the starboard drive. Made it home ok, but still no reverse, and the throttle works great in forward. Any ideas on where to start trouble shooting? I need to get this fixed before vacation in two weeks. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciatted.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does your throttle move to reverse all the way same as the good one?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you have Thrust Vectors? This happened to me. It turns out I lost a bolt in mine which made everything bind and I couldn’t put it in reverse or neutral. That was the last place I thought of looking.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Rocks in the pivot point of the reverse bucket.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Need more info. Are you getting any resistance when operating that throttle lever? Have you done any recent steering mods? Possible detached cable. If you had any debris stuck in the bucket you would physically not be able to move the throttle in reverse.

Last edited:

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Does your throttle move to reverse all the way same as the good one?
The port throttle moves much easier in reverse as well as forward, the gate is not moving, it remains in the forward position. The starborad throttle is firmer, and more dificult to move.

Last edited:

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Do you have Thrust Vectors? This happened to me. It turns out I lost a bolt in mine which made everything bind and I couldn’t put it in reverse or neutral. That was the last place I thought of looking.
I have the Cobra jet fins. I inspected all the pivot points on both buckets, no rocks, nuts, bolts, or any apperant obstructions.

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Need more info. Are you getting any resistance when operating that throttle lever? Have you done any recent steering mods? Possible detached cable. If you had any debris stuck in the bucket you would physically not be able to move the throttle in reverse.
No resistance when I move the throttle in forward or reverse. The engine RPM's will increase (as they should), and I get forward motion. No recent steering mods. My guess would be a detached or severed cable. My hopes were that some one else might of had a similar problem and solved it...wishful thinking. But, there are a lot of guys on this forum that know much more about these boats than I do.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was shifting stuff before this happened? That was my first indication of a bad cable. I think yours may have broken. You might try moving the bucket up and down by hand while on the trailer. If you can do this you likely have a broken cable.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Disconnect your cable at the bucket, it's a slide fitting over a small ball
Then see if you can move the bucket by hand then see if the throttle moves

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Was shifting stuff before this happened? That was my first indication of a bad cable. I think yours may have broken. You might try moving the bucket up and down by hand while on the trailer. If you can do this you likely have a broken cable.
Thanks for the reply, I tried that and was unable to move the bucket with little effort, I will try it again this afternoon to confirm it though.

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Disconnect your cable at the bucket, it's a slide fitting over a small ball
Then see if you can move the bucket by hand then see if the throttle moves
Thanks for the advice, I will try that this afternoon. Any idea of where a shop manual is online (I have the PDF Owners Manual)?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are several threads about cable replacements. Start in the FAQ. If the throttle lever moves and the bucket does not, your cable broke or disconnected somewhere between the throttles and the reverse bucket. The cable easily disconnects from the bucket with a little spring ball at the bracket on the bucket. If the cable broke, you should be able to disconnect and pull the broken part out through the transom. If it doesn’t pull through, it either broke way up and has too much resistance or just disconnected from the throttle mechanism some how. If that is the case, you will need to investigate the throttles. Do a search for “throttle drop” and you will find lots on pulling the throttles.

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There are several threads about cable replacements. Start in the FAQ. If the throttle lever moves and the bucket does not, your cable broke or disconnected somewhere between the throttles and the reverse bucket. The cable easily disconnects from the bucket with a little spring ball at the bracket on the bucket. If the cable broke, you should be able to disconnect and pull the broken part out through the transom. If it doesn’t pull through, it either broke way up and has too much resistance or just disconnected from the throttle mechanism some how. If that is the case, you will need to investigate the throttles. Do a search for “throttle drop” and you will find lots on pulling the throttles.
Thanks, my first thought was a broken cable. Until I get the binnacle removed I do not think I will know for sure. Do you have any idea on how difficult it is to route the new cable?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since your throttle moves freely with no resistance I would guess you cable is either disconnected (we don't see that very often) at the binnacle or broken,
I would disconnect at the bucket and see if you can grab and work the cable with a vice grips before taking the binnacle off,

the cable replacement I believe is more tedious than difficult, the Teleflex brand is a direct replacement and much cheaper than Yamaha part,

cable replacement from FAQ,
or

If your taking your binnacle off you may want to consider this mod. while your there if your throttles slip back at all

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Since your throttle moves freely with no resistance I would guess you cable is either disconnected (we don't see that very often) at the binnacle or broken,
I would disconnect at the bucket and see if you can grab and work the cable with a vice grips before taking the binnacle off,

the cable replacement I believe is more tedious than difficult, the Teleflex brand is a direct replacement and much cheaper than Yamaha part,

or

If your taking your binnacle off you may want to consider this mod. while your there if your throttles slip back at all

or

or

or

or

or

or

or

or

or

or

I finally got to work on my boat today. I replaced the reverse cables on both drives, now shifting smoother than ever. I should have done this last year. It definatley was the reverse cable on the port drive, after I pulled it out it broke in 2 places.
I would like to thank all the helpful posts from all of y'all, and special thanks to Scottintexas for your help and support, y'all rock.