• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not another subwoofer ? And stereo talk (sound video clips)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, and while all of it is subjective... I would consider their wire normal compared to other quality OFC wire. Strand Count is similar across quality wire. Because it is a boat, I would be more inclined to play it safe than in a car. Just because you in water, doesn't mean you can put out a fire easier lol.

EDIT: Mainah beat me to it, in a much more technical sense lol. The point remains the same though - to small to cause heat and potentially cause a fire.

The OP will spend an extra $200 on wire. Sure it sucks, but he has at least that invested ten fold into the stereo alone.
I agree, it is not about the cost. You guys are making very good points.
I guess I was thinking along the lines that running a 0 gauge wire poses its own challenges, crimping and connecting etc.

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
0 Gauge crimpers are not cheap by any means. But a hammer on a wood block, works just as well lol. I will say running it in the boat is much easier than in a car. You have trim pieces and carpet that need to go back into place.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The rest of my gear came in today! Man these revo 8 speakers look like subs. Looks like I'm going to be busy this weekend.
View attachment 69543 View attachment 69544 View attachment 69545
I'm running 4awg power and ground wire and splitting it with two distribution blocks into two 4awg amps (htx-6, m400-4) when I add this jl 600/6 I'm going to change the blocks to allow the 3 amps. Do you think im fine with the 4awg main wire. I would hate to change out 19' of wire it's exspensive.

When complete, I'll have:
(6) ws xs650's - htx-6 amp
(2) revo 8 speakers - m400-4 amp(bridged)

(2) rev 8 towers (4 channels bridged)
(1) jl m10w5 jl m600/6 (bridged)

I may be developing a problem lol.... wife said mid life crisis. I'm only 37!
37.... that’s not midlife crisis ... that’s enjoying life and having fun.
Wait another 13yrs...lol
Now 50, that’s having a midlife crisis.... lol
Wait, I’m 50....smh:(

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a hammer and nail punch on 1/0 wire, works great

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Amp board is complete. I had to make a new one because I could not fit the new JL with the previous 2. Nothing fancy, just some PT plywood, outdoor carpet and stainless steel staples. On the plus side, everything was previously wired so I just need to screw the board back in, 2 hinges on each side makes it easy to hook up. Will be installing it tomorrow and cutting in the bow speakers. Pictures to follow.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Side note, bolt down your amps instead of using screws so you don't have to worry about them coming loose in rough water.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Amp board is complete. I had to make a new one because I could not fit the new JL with the previous 2. Nothing fancy, just some PT plywood, outdoor carpet and stainless steel staples. On the plus side, everything was previously wired so I just need to screw the board back in, 2 hinges on each side makes it easy to hook up. Will be installing it tomorrow and cutting in the bow speakers. Pictures to follow.
What's the measurement on your board?
I was the thinking of mounting my amps on a piece of starboard

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I found a piece for a good price but it only comes in a 24"×54"×3/4 piece.
I had noticed that @Mainah had a piece that measured 24"×36" not sure where his is mounted.
Are you mounting yours behind the steering?
That'
Kinda where I wanted to mount mine. What do you think?

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Lion also note that 21" is how wide the opening is in my boat behind the helm. This left me room on each side to install the hinges. If your not using hinges you'll need to go wider.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Lion also note that 21" is how wide the opening is in my boat behind the helm. This left me room on each side to install the hinges. If your not using hinges you'll need to go wider.
I’m liking the hing idea. Makes it easy to swing open from one side or the other when one needs to get to all the wiring behind the helm.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Lion yes behind the steering. Here is the only picture I have when I first started upgrading the stereo.
20170812_183542.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found a piece for a good price but it only comes in a 24"×54"×3/4 piece.
I had noticed that @Mainah had a piece that measured 24"×36" not sure where his is mounted.
Are you mounting yours behind the steering?
That'
Kinda where I wanted to mount mine. What do you think?
Here is my photo. Old as I have added more since. Once complete with this major round I will post up more.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Lion yes behind the steering. Here is the only picture I have when I first started upgrading the stereo.
View attachment 69663
Sorry for all the questions, but would you know if all Yamaha’s have about the same measurement behind the helm? My boat is currently in storage a few hrs away so I don’t have the opportunity to measure rt now. I was going to pull the trigger and purchase the starboard but my gut feeling was telling me to wait till I bring the boat home before I buy something on the whim. I just hate missing out when I find a deal or what I thought was a deal.
Sometimes I buy stuff only to realize I could have gotten away with buying something that would be a better fit but by then it’s to late.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here is my photo. Old as I have added more since. Once complete with this major round I will post up more.
Yes, that’s the picture I was referring to. Like @CraigAR , very nice work.
I noticed on your thread that it measured 24x36x 3/4

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
24x36x.75 may have been the sheet size I ordered.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
FYI pvc board would work just as well probably and is much cheaper. Looks great Craig!

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
FYI pvc board would work just as well probably and is much cheaper. Looks great Craig!
Thanks for the info @adrianp89
Hard to find out here in Southern California.
And the places I did find it by doing a local searching on line, cost is about the same or more.
Home Depot has it for a good price but they are out of stock everywhere and don’t know when they will get it....