• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not another subwoofer ? And stereo talk (sound video clips)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe that @adrianp89 is referring to pvc outdoor trim boards. Any Lowes or Home Depot should have these as a common stock item as far as I am aware. The end result would not be one continuous piece length and width wise but it would work.

Keep in mind with the sheet I ordered I was able to make support rings for 7 speakers as well. Some think it is debatable that those are needed for any speaker and others think only needed for subs. Watch a slow mo video of a speaker mounted in 1/4 inch fiberglass and there is no doubt. Support rings add mass and stiffness. You want the speaker to oscillate not the face of what it is mounted to.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I found a 2’ foot by 4’ piece (1/2”) at my local Home Depot I think it was $28. Sucks they don’t have it local, I randomly came across it while wondering around. It is by the birch and mdf sheets.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I found a 2’ foot by 4’ piece (1/2”) at my local Home Depot I think it was $28. Sucks they don’t have it local, I randomly came across it while wondering around. It is by the birch and mdf sheets.
Yes, Home Depot has it on their website, but out of stock.
So I checked all the surrounding stores to see if I can pick up or they can ship to my local store but none available. Guess it must be in demand out here.
So last night, I figured someone has to have it out here and
I did find some plastic manufacturers out here that have it or make it
But it cost an arm and a leg...lol I’m talking about 150 and up.
I found that the starboard is not as costly out here.
The deal that I had found was a sheet 24x54x3/4, for 109.71. That’s the least expensive I found. The bad thing is that it’s coming from Florida and shipping will take up to 3weeks.
On my search last night, I found a place out here in. California that I can get the same thing for just a bit more but it’s close enough that I can will call it.
They won’t cut to size because they only sell by the sheet but that’s not a problem.
Will be picking it up Monday and @Mainah , will also be making a lot of rings...lol

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well boys and girls, making progress today. The amp board is mounted and halfway wired. Taking a break sitting in the boat because my feet fell asleep lol. Behind the helm is tight!

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok amp board is wired and secured, the 6 xs650 are wired up and the rev 8's are also wired. Still need to cut in the revo 8's and sub. Fyi lay your bow filler cushion inside the helm while installing your board to lay on, I did everything while laying on my side and it help tremendously.
20180304_163513.jpg
20180304_163447.jpg
20180304_163431.jpg
20180304_163334.jpg
20180304_154751.jpg
20180304_150012.jpg
20180304_145947.jpg
20180304_163828.jpg

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok amp board is wired and secured, the 6 xs650 are wired up and the rev 8's are also wired. Still need to cut in the revo 8's and sub. Fyi lay your bow filler cushion inside the helm while installing your board to lay on, I did everything while laying on my side and it help tremendously.
View attachment 69720
View attachment 69721
View attachment 69722
View attachment 69723
View attachment 69724
View attachment 69725
View attachment 69726
View attachment 69727
Looking good! Nice and clean.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Looks great!

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While tuning the system and laying on the floor from being sore, I did notice that the factory bow speaker location makes your speaker point down. I think after I cut in the 8's under the seat I might make a ring to get these to point up some. We'll see after I get the install done. :D

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How's it sound so far...what did you decide to do about the sub?

I just picked up my new gear and will install in a week or so, pics to follow.

With your amp rack covering the entire back of the helm electronics area, any concern about air flow....I have my amps mounted there and with 3 amps like you will need to mount them so was curious

@Mainah where do you place the speaker rings you mentioned, behind the speaker or behind the fiberglass? Also for that digital distribution block you use, does it stay on after you turn your switches off, and how many outputs does it have since I want to run 3 amps.
20180303_204640.jpg

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No concern with airflow. My last board covered most of it too.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How's it sound so far...what did you decide to do about the sub?

I just picked up my new gear and will install in a week or so, pics to follow.

With your amp rack covering the entire back of the helm electronics area, any concern about air flow....I have my amps mounted there and with 3 amps like you will need to mount them so was curious

@Mainah where do you place the speaker rings you mentioned, behind the speaker or behind the fiberglass? Also for that digital distribution block you use, does it stay on after you turn your switches off, and how many outputs does it have since I want to run 3 amps.
View attachment 69753
Speaker rings behind the fiberglass mounted with two counter sunk screws the end up hidden behind the speaker. Distribution block will accept 1 set if 0-4 awg inputs and 4 sets of 4-8 awg ouputs.

Audiopipe PDCP1414 Fuseblock 4-agu Audiopipe W/ground Distribution https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FEQ802/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_U-sNAb2QNDWF4

I have landed on a method for complete sealing up my existing sub. I have a bunch of closed cell foam sheet stuffed in between the hull now but not perfect. I am going to use minimal expanding foam to seal it up leaving the clf in place. I am then going to flatten it out and layer fiberglass against for the inside of the speaker chamber. I will then apply MLV to the inside of that. All of this working from the inside of the chamber and I will be able to get the optimum sealed air space for my polk 1040mm. I have removed the 6x9 from the opposite side of the boat and enlarged the hole for the other 1040mm I have had in a box. I will do the same foam, fiberglass mlv thing on that side. When done I will either be very happy with the bass or call it good enough. Before than I need to install my built in air pump, ballast system, custom kegerator.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
To minimize holes in the hull, I mounted my speaker ring to the holes with the speaker. I used nuts and bolts to connect them together.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No turning back now, it's coming along nicely. This speaker looks like a subwoofer.
20180305_134824.jpg
20180305_140927.jpg
20180305_140950.jpg

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok both speakers are in, wired and carpet put back in using 3M super 77 spray. I also put backing rings in under the carpet. Let me tell you that the bow now has the best sound throughout the boat, I have yet to install my sub in the cabin so I'll note that. These 8 inch ws speakers hit like a subwoofer, vibrates your butt when sitting on the seat, might be because the storage under the seat is closed in. I will take a video with the 8's turned off and walk from the cabin to the bow with only the 6.5's on and then turn on the 8's and walk from the cabin to the bow to show comparison. We'll see if my phone picks up the difference, I believe it should. Very happy with this install and would recommend it to anyone.
20180305_175710.jpg
20180305_175703.jpg
20180305_175749.jpg
20180305_175823.jpg
20180305_175849.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok both speakers are in, wired and carpet put back in using 3M super 77 spray. I also put backing rings in under the carpet. Let me tell you that the bow now has the best sound throughout the boat, I have yet to install my sub in the cabin so I'll note that. These 8 inch ws speakers hit like a subwoofer, vibrates your butt when sitting on the seat, might be because the storage under the seat is closed in. I will take a video with the 8's turned off and walk from the cabin to the bow with only the 6.5's on and then turn on the 8's and walk from the cabin to the bow to show comparison. We'll see if my phone picks up the difference, I believe it should. Very happy with this install and would recommend it to anyone.
View attachment 69784
View attachment 69785
View attachment 69786
View attachment 69787
View attachment 69788
Very cool!
If you can isolate those speakers to listen to them only - how would those compare to your ICON8s? I know... your ICONS are gone, but what's your impression?

--

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very cool!
If you can isolate those speakers to listen to them only - how would those compare to your ICON8s? I know... your ICONS are gone, but what's your impression?

--
I think it's hard to compare the 2 with the icons being mounted up in the air and the revo' s mounted down low in a "box". But I will say that the revo' s sound a lot better. They are full with no brightness. Right now they are the best speakers on my boat. Very clear with nice bass.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
View attachment 69784
View attachment 69785
View attachment 69786
View attachment 69787
View attachment 69788
Looking forward to hearing it. I' sure that if it sounds good on your phone recording, that it will sound 100x better in person....
Damn.... another upgrade too look into:rolleyes:

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lookinhg good!!! Finally got my amp board built today, now just need to install everything.
20180306_152254.jpg

Rubens212x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Since you said you want to stick with Wet Sounds which I completely agee with if you want a great quality sound system and are willing to pay the extra price for them. The 1st thing you’ll have to figure out with your system setup is how much wattage can be produced between your speakers you have now and the subwoofer(s) you choose to get. Once you get that answer you then want to find an amp that will be able to produce as close to the total rms wattage of your speakers you will be hooking up to. Here is the System I had put in last year in my 212X. I got 2 10” Wet Sounds revo-10hp subs, (400 rms Watts each sub) a 10” sub is as big as you can go under the seats in Yamaha’s. I also got 2 pairs of the Wet Sounds Rev 8’s (200 rms Watts each speaker) on my tower, both the subs and tower speakers are powered by a Rockford Fosgate TM1000x5AD it’s a 1,000 watt 5 channel amp. The amp alone was pricey but it’s soo worth it based on how small and compact these amps are and the power they still can produce. It doesn’t take up a bunch of space like a typical amp/amp’s do. You’ll see this amp a lot in Razor’s or other off road vehicle’s with speakers as well. Everything connected great to my stock Clarion stereo and I kept my 6.5” Polk audio speakers connected as well. I didn’t bother replacing them since you can’t really hear them due to the power of the Rev 8’s and subs. You already upgraded your speakers so you’re good to go there anyway. If you want good bass power I recommend at least 2 subs, I know majority of us have a budget you can always add more later on down the road, but so far in my opinion 2 10’s are perfect! Hope this helps C504603B-DF80-4F67-9AAE-BCBD397E2D52.jpeg 229931C8-5C12-4207-B393-BA6F8E468768.jpeg F8DBBBD5-3493-4C6A-A72A-F186E2EDCD17.jpeg

Last edited: