• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not another subwoofer ? And stereo talk (sound video clips)

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm running the 2 factory interstate batteries with my htx-6 amp and rockford m400-4 amp. (6) 6.5's and towers. My voltage with that setup has not gone below 12.1. We will see what happens when I add the JL m600/6 amp, jl m10w5 and revo 8's.

My plan is to keep the htx-6 running the ws 6.5's, run the new jl m600/6 bridged in 3 channel mode for the rev 8 towers and the sub and then use my rf m400-4 bridged for the revo 8 speakers. Thoughts
You should be fine if you are not hitting below 12.1 at the end of the day already. Sure it will drain more but shouldn't be outrageous. Adding subwoofers is where the power consumption becomes the greatest. Most speakers now days especially one's that are ran in 4 ohms are pretty efficient to run all day off one battery.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only play it loud when wakeboarding or crusing. Lots of homes and boats on my lake and I am the type to consider others. I have not made the batteries break a sweat but am sure they would last all day floating at moderate levels. They will also last a long time in number of years both because they are AGM, I don’t fraw them way down amd I have a dual bank shore charger with shore power.

Think of the solar panels as weak trickle chargers. They help over a number of days. Do be careful executing any dvsr mods as how the solar panels are wired will mater and I don’t have a boat with the panels to test and advise. Given how the dvsr operates even with the mod I believe that the batteries should be of the same chemistry, size, and health when installed.

What one needs will all depend on how many watts they are going to consume and how loud it is played will affect consumption.

I always recommend researching AND understanding which it seems @Lion is doing. I am sure you will end up with a great performing system.

One last piece is great connections make a big difference. Tinning the wire, fluxing the inside of the crimp, crimping and then reheating makes a great connection.
I agree. My setup can be loud but like my vehicle I don't drive around letting everyone here my music. It really is annoying when others turn their music on around the docks around crowed areas. I had to get on to some of my friends last year for doing that lol.
Most of us only really play our systems in our "party cove" we call it. To be honest, If I'm not at the cove or doing water sport, I won't even use my towers as I find my 6.5 to be sufficient.

Plus the scenery sometimes is too nice to mess it up with all that ruckus.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
WOW again. Lol. Good sir. No ported box can hit harder below their tuning frequency than a sealed box. It don't work that way.
Again, you can model this in WinISD, not hard to do and will simply prove you wrong. Also, I would recommend you read this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Loudspeaker-Design-Cookbook-Vance-Dickason/dp/1882580109

@Jaylex, @Mainah, @swatski, @FloJet, @CraigAR, @adrianp89 , @John Mcpartland ,

I noticed everyone is running different amounts of batteries.
How is it working out for you all with the batteries you have?
I currently just have the 2 but was thinking of adding another so that I can run my system longer when beached. I do have the solar panels on top of the Bimini and know they will only help somewhat...
What kind of batteries do you run?
I run the factory battery and a cheap wal-mart battery for now. I eventually will upgrade to more powerful deep cycles, but I had no issues with my first day out with the system. Granted I am not running as much power as some people, but voltage stayed at 12.1. I have a 4 posistion battery switch I plan to install this week, just to play it safe. I will switch to battery 2 for my music, and keep battery 1 for starting. I also keep a portable jump pack on board, just in case.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For every one not interested in a 12 battery 6V setup, lol, if I was pushing the system in terms of capacity/endurance I would probably want to install one of those simple low-voltage-disconnect (LVD) gizmos - just for the peace of mind.

I believe Captain @Bruce has been using one as he can not leave the docks without the on-board fridge making his foo-foo drinks.

--

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good info here. I have a decent solar system in my RV. One 2x4' panel, a 18"x4' and a little 20w for 285w. I'll see about 7a charging current with lower battery charge and good sun. You'd have to build a huge structure to keep up with these big systems. Like half the size of the boat to be worthwhile. Somewhat Someday I might add a 2x4' panel in front of the tower just to keep everything topped off, of for low volume play.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would probably want to install one of those simple low-voltage-disconnect (LVD) gizmos - just for the peace of mind.
I do have one of these Bluesea LVD in the boat.

It takes away all concern of running down or damaging the batteries.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For every one not interested in a 12 battery 6V setup, lol, if I was pushing the system in terms of capacity/endurance I would probably want to install one of those simple low-voltage-disconnect (LVD) gizmos - just for the peace of mind.

I believe Captain @Bruce has been using one as he can not leave the docks without the on-board fridge making his foo-foo drinks.

--
Funny you said that. One of my friends has 14 batteries in this boat. I always tease folks saying it's a floating time bomb.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The dudes setup is insane. (6) 12" xxx from WS. (12) Rev 10s tower speakers. He stated this year he wants to go to (6) Rev 410s. Lol. Mad $$$$ put into it.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so my equipment should be here Thursday and I'm looking to install it on Friday. I plan to go all in and cut the holes up front. Pulled the specs and the revo 8 speakers call for a 7.1" hole. I just want to be smart about placement, taking into consideration people possible kicking them. While I was waiting for the oil to be sucked into the extractor i was going over possible locations for the sub and these speakers. What is everyone's thoughts about location 1 here for the 8"speakers:
20180226_150054.jpg
It looks like there is room and at this point it is where the main cabin speakers fade off. Do you think they would be to close together there? Location 2 is set back a little farther. I know that either spot will help with sound up front. I set my dewalt work radio here to test it and it sounds fuller. Placed the radio on the seats and the sound faded into the air. Looking for some input before I cut in these big holes.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Higher placement is far better (closer to ear level. The sound dispates fast at speed. When I stand and drive I don’t hear mine nearly as good as when I sit. My 6.5s above above the mid cabin cupholders did 4x as much to perceived sound as my 6x9s down low.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The dudes setup is insane. (6) 12" xxx from WS. (12) Rev 10s tower speakers. He stated this year he wants to go to (6) Rev 410s. Lol. Mad $$$$ put into it.
That's insane! I bet you could feel the bass from a mile away.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Higher placement is far better (closer to ear level. The sound dispates fast at speed. When I stand and drive I don’t hear mine nearly as good as when I sit. My 6.5s above above the mid cabin cupholders did 4x as much to perceived sound as my 6x9s down low.
already have a set of 6.5's up in the bow above the seats in the factory location. Just looking to fill in the sound up front. Back in the cabin the (4) 6.5's along with the towers sound great.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so my equipment should be here Thursday and I'm looking to install it on Friday. I plan to go all in and cut the holes up front. Pulled the specs and the revo 8 speakers call for a 7.1" hole. I just want to be smart about placement, taking into consideration people possible kicking them. While I was waiting for the oil to be sucked into the extractor i was going over possible locations for the sub and these speakers. What is everyone's thoughts about location 1 here for the 8"speakers:
View attachment 69426
It looks like there is room and at this point it is where the main cabin speakers fade off. Do you think they would be to close together there? Location 2 is set back a little farther. I know that either spot will help with sound up front. I set my dewalt work radio here to test it and it sounds fuller. Placed the radio on the seats and the sound faded into the air. Looking for some input before I cut in these big holes.
I think you would be the first to put speakers in that option 1 spot. Might look cool tho.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you would be the first to put speakers in that option 1 spot. Might look cool tho.
I don't want to be the first lol. I'm the guy that does all the installs to his friends stuff and then when it works out well I do it to my own. My problem is all my boating friends have center console boats.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I like spot number 1. At that spot you can go a little higher. And if someone is sitting at the number 2 spot, like Mainah mentioned, it’s closer to ear level...
Also would keep someone from kicking them....

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't want to be the first lol. I'm the guy that does all the installs to his friends stuff and then when it works out well I do it to my own. My problem is all my boating friends have center console boats.
Oh I see. Well I've just never seen speakers installed in that area before but I think you will be fine. Like @Mainah stated the higher the placement the better.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
View attachment 69426
Have you measured to see how high you can go with the 8” at spot number 1?

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If it works out, I think you will be starting a new trend.... many will follow...lol

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it works out, I think you will be starting a new trend.... many will follow...lol
And I might follow. I like that spot for speakers. Out sitting around in the cove that hallspot is where I like to hang out while I people watch.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Re: spot #1 - my only reservation would be that if you run at speed with the windshield closed it would do little to improve sound volume/quality in the bow compartment/front of the boat. And that is where the sound is really lacking, it is a hard problem to solve. I know that @jcyamaharider has tried to use his WS Stealth 10 re-directed there.
For most of us, i think most pretty much gave up on good sound up front. I think it's okay, I just call it a quiet corner - and sometimes separate guests based on their preference for music volume, lol.

--