• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

not thrilled with dealer fix to the anchor locker issue

Sroc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I just got called from the dealer today. My 252 SD has been there for almost three weeks now. I made the appointment in advance for the 10-hour service. If it weren't for some of the manufacturing defects that needed to be corrected, I would've done the service myself; I mention the boat taking on some water in what I read on the forms regarding the anchor locker. Their solution was to put a “clamshell” on. I sat down tonight and researched it, and I'm not happy that this is an additional part that appears to be drilled into the boat and also changes the look of my boat… I would have thought they should have discussed this proposed fix since it appears to be drilled in?? I was planning on doing the fix mentioned on the form by swapping out for the stainless steel drain and some sealant around the inner drain. Anyone else uses the clamshell to fix the anchor locker drain? I'm really not pleased with how this will look now, UGH!! Am I overreacting??? Did anyone do this fix?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doesn't sound right at all. Have them snap a picture and send it to you both inside and out and post it here if they already did it. Not sure how a clamshell solves the drain problem.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Doesn't sound right at all. Have them snap a picture and send it to you both inside and out and post it here if they already did it. Not sure how a clamshell solves the drain problem.
I think the goal of the clam shell is to create an air pocket. However where the anchor locker drain is located I don't think this would have any affect at all. Maybe a little. We would have to see a picture of the orientation.

Sroc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length

The job was already done, unfortunately. They called me this am I thought it was some new valve from the factory they notified me after the job was completed... When I googled it tonight I was pissed plan on calling the dealer in the am and demand answers. I should have given consent for a nonfactory repair on a boat with 10m hrs on it. Should I contact Yamaha and log a formal complaint ??

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
The job was already done, unfortunately. They called me this am I thought it was some new valve from the factory they notified me after the job was completed... When I googled it tonight I was pissed plan on calling the dealer in the am and demand answers. I should have given consent for a nonfactory repair on a boat with 10m hrs on it. Should I contact Yamaha and log a formal complaint ??
I'm sorry to hear this. Lately every business I deal with is just a headache. Try to get a picture for us.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@deubank1776 I dunno. I don't see how that would help. And I would not be happy if someone screwed a clamshell onto the front of my $80k boat without consulting me first. Now they do make thru hull clamshells that are secured the same way the SS Drain Plug is, not with screws. Not sure why that would be any different than a proper thru hull drain like the SS one or even a plastic one.

@Sroc Sounds like a non standard fix to me, but I reserve the right to be proven wrong. I would chill for the night and make the call in the morning and ask them for pictures, close up of the inside and outside and also why they felt it necessary to do a nonfactory repair and lets go from there. If it looks like shit or doesn't work, escalate it from there.

Get the pics.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Who is your dealer?

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
@deubank1776 I dunno. I don't see how that would help. And I would not be happy if someone screwed a clamshell onto the front of my $80k boat without consulting me first. Now they do make thru hull clamshells that are secured the same way the SS Drain Plug is, not with screws. Not sure why that would be any different than a proper thru hull drain like the SS one or even a plastic one.

@Sroc Sounds like a non standard fix to me, but I reserve the right to be proven wrong. I would chill for the night and make the call in the morning and ask them for pictures, close up of the inside and outside and also why they felt it necessary to do a nonfactory repair and lets go from there. If it looks like shit or doesn't work, escalate it from there.

Get the pics.
Very true. I forgot the thru hull ones.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Someone else on here added a stainless cover, which sounds like what they're talking about with that clamshell. If there was an issue with the OEM thru-hull fitting, and they didn't fix THAT, then the clamshell won't fix your issue at all, it will simply lessen the amount of water forced into the anchor locker at low speeds. I, personally, had considered it, but decided against it when I realized it's not going to actually stop water from coming in that fitting.

I don't know what your situation is. If you've investigated, and have noted that the thru-hull fitting isn't actually reaching all the way into the anchor locker, and told them this when you dropped it off, then you have every reason to expect them to have replaced the OEM fitting with one of the proper length, and that it's properly sealed both inside the anchor locker, and on the outer hull of your boat, since the OEM fittings have seemed to be simply pressed in, and no sealant used.

If that's the case, and if they haven't even touched the OEM fitting, then yes, IMO you should raise holy hell, make them take it off, make them do the gelcoat repair to it, and finally, make them fix it properly. I've got a thread here - search it out. If yours doesn't at least reach as far into the anchor locker as mine does - and I can show you how short the OEM fitting was as well - then give them a link to this forum and the numerous threads about this issue.

Like I said, I have no idea what the conversation was when you dropped it off, and I don't know what your fitting looks like. If you snapped a pic, post it up, and any number of folks here will be able to tell you if yours matches up with their POS fitting, or if yours was fine, and they added an actually-useful item that still wasn't necessarily needed.

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn’t be very happy with my new $80+k, 10 hour, 252 jet boat getting some afterthought repair/revision job. Getting a bit tired of the covid excuses for poor quality/half assed QA checks/poor design/customer service.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's the most moronic excuse for a dealership fix ever, especially without consulting you first. My call to the dealership would be "Hey, cool, so you did an unauthorized repair on my boat. When I drop it off for storage this fall, you will remove that piece of hardware, repair the damage to the fiberglass, and FIX the damn problem."

Sroc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
***Update see attached pictures They kept the same drain plug in only put the clamshell over top which they drilled into the side of the hull over top of original drain plug. I called my salesman he said so it sounds like you’re not happy with a fix not “my problem” we fixed it. Talk to the service manager (he as the owners son did not know the name of service manager???) I informed him that I did not authorize this type of repair furthermore no one described that the repair would entail drilling into the side of a brand new boat with 10 hours on it. I am waiting to hear back from the service manager I will wait and see if they do the right thing here I will withhold the name of the dealership pending This conversation. Did I mention that they had the boat for three weeks for a 10-hour service which included over the July 4th holiday ? Needless to say not happy

Attachments

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
***Update see attached pictures They kept the same drain plug in only put the clamshell over top which they drilled into the side of the hull over top of original drain plug. I called my salesman he said so it sounds like you’re not happy with a fix not “my problem” we fixed it. Talk to the service manager (he as the owners son did not know the name of service manager???) I informed him that I did not authorize this type of repair furthermore no one described that the repair would entail drilling into the side of a brand new boat with 10 hours on it. I am waiting to hear back from the service manager I will wait and see if they do the right thing here I will withhold the name of the dealership pending This conversation. Did I mention that they had the boat for three weeks for a 10-hour service which included over the July 4th holiday ? Needless to say not happy
WHAT THE FUCK KINDA SLOPPY ASS FRIDAY BEFORE A THREE DAY WEEKEND JOB IS THAT?!

Holy shit, if you didn't go full raped ape on that entire company when you got there you should get a f'ing award. I would have been on a rage bender seeing that. Fucking punched some drill holes into the boat with some self tapping screws, then put a couple inches of sealant around it?

What bullshit dealership is this please? I would call your insurance company and file a claim of vandalism, honestly.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow!! Can't believe they drilled into the boat without first asking you.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How is that a fix?

The issue isn't from splashing, it's when the bow goes into a wave. If the clam she'll goes under the water , water still goes in.

Someone should 3 d print a longer tube and a cap with a hole for inside the anchor locker. Idk know how long it would last but with the correct material it would last.

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow! That looks pretty sloppy. You didn’t buy a 20 year old Bayliner from some used boat dealer who did a quickie repair job to placate a fussy customer to get him off the lot. That’s how you’re being treated. It’s time to be a dick.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I just don't understand why Yamaha didn't just put the drain hole in the bottom of the locker (where his puddle of water is/was) allowing it follow the inside of the keel and off to the bilge and transom drain. :rolleyes:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sroc Where they HIGH!!!! I couldn't even get to that solution if I was...... I am at a loss for words. And let's be quite frank, that doesn't fix anything it is still going to leak into the hull.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm at a lost for words also.............FIRST lets address the ELEPHANT in the room PLEASE tell me that's not how Yamaha finish's off the drain on the inside of the locker!!!!!!!!! leaving the tube dumping water between the outer hull and the inner liner............ WTF!

SECOND WHAT THE MOTHER @#$%^&* was the Dealer thinking what kind of brainless horse hocky addition is that on a new boat.

Yamaha how about a through hull that go's all the way in the locker, spin a nut on the back with a little sealer now throw in a through hull that has a little flapper valve that closes................WOW Yamaha they might already make those "do you think"........shaking head now!!!!!!!